• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women of Dynamite by Simone

This sounds awesome!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=54197

G'day,

Excellent opportunity for nudie variant covers.

Ralph

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
      G'day,

Ralph
      Nah, we need that for the next Tarzan/John Carter miniseries.

Comment

Any current word yet on when this is coming out?

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
          I don't know... six nipples on a single cover might cause the comic to spontaneously combust and create a fire hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
            Any current word yet on when this is coming out?
            I take it the answer then is "no f#@&in' clue"?

At least the first issue Conan / Red Sonja crossover book is solicited by Dark Horse for next month.

Conan Red Sonja #1

Simone and Zub pit Sonja against Conan!

Gail Simone teams with Jim Zub to bring together legendary warriors in this truly epic crossover!

In a story spanning multiple eras in the lives of these classic characters, Conan and Red Sonja become comrades to take down a sorcerer-priest hell bent on creating a dark new age in Hyborian warfare!

Writer: Gail Simone, Jim Zub
            Artist: Dan Panosian
            Colorist: Dave Stewart
            Cover Artist: Dan Panosian
            Publication Date: January 14, 2015

Comment

With any luck, they are getting a new writer for 'Women of Dynamite'.

Comment

Why? Gail Simone is awesome.

Comment

No. She's not. She's just a writer. One whose work has no appeal whatsoever. Her work on Red Sonja has been some 19+ issues too long.
                  Last edited by Ajax; 01-01-2015, 10:38 PM. Reason: Detail added

Comment

I can see both sides of this. There are some things about her writing that I do like. And just as many that annoy me.

Comment

I haven't yet been able to afford to get her Red Sonja (will have to wait for the trade on that, though I'm snagging the Conan crossover as soon as it comes out), but all of the other work by Simone I've read has been genuinely excellent. Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, Secret Six, all have been superb. Different tastes, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                        I can see both sides of this. There are some things about her writing that I do like. And just as many that annoy me.
                        For me the negatives far outweigh the positives. Not wanting to rewrite a post in the New Writer thread:
                        I do hope a new writer can bring some lightness of tone from time to time. I appreciate Simone wanted to not have unrelenting grimness all the time, but boob jokes, whining about her stench, and acting like a yowling cat in heat does not work in any way. Simone's humor is one aspect that turns me off anything she writes. I miss the days when Red Sonja could dance and sing in a bar. Too many writers had a sexual harassment angle when Sonja went into a bar followed by the inevitable short fight. This was all too common in the Marvel days and at least Simone hasn't done that, but let her have some fun like she used to. I want to laugh with the scene and character, not at her as a butt of some meta-humor to laugh at the book.

Also, Simone usually wants to avoid having the female hero be like Xena- always winning against her foes with relative ease like the TV series. The problem is she too often has the characters only enduring longer and outlasting her enemies. In both arcs so far, the main bad guys have been taken out by the guest characters and Sonja spends so much time getting captured, defeated, and bailed by others that I wonder why she is the title character of the book. Simone goes way too far the other way to get away from Xena and needs more balance. Sure, she should lose, and be challenged, but in the end she should be leading the charge and swording the big bad of the story. I would hope any new writer remembers who is the hero here.

Finally, get a writer who knows how to write an ending. The second arc was so truncated and tied off to move along that one wonders what all the fuss was about over saving those thousand slaves at the start. They were the McGuffin to get Sonja going and were of no point in the end. Doing this over a sack of gold would have been just as effective, especially when Sonja is going to be buying time on sex slaves at the end to take care of getting laid. If slavery doesn't bother her that much (and it wouldn't be surprising in Howard's Hyboria) don't make the driving start of the story be over saving and freeing slaves. Why should she stick her neck out for the ones at the beginning if she is so flippant about such folks in the end? The first arc wasn't that much better. The death and destruction, the one king she had any respect for, all of it was of no worth to remark on in the end since finding a bar to get loaded in was more important than any of that. Simone often drops the questions her stories raise for a quick gag and cut to -The End- which makes her stories so utterly meaningless that one wonders why the hero was involved at all.
                        That would be a short version of why Simone hasn't worked for me on Red Sonja. I could add more but it would be derailing the thread more than has already been done. One insulting comment sometimes made about Sonja is that she is Conan with tits. As far as Red Sonja's personality goes, I'd find that more true of Simone's iteration than anyone else.
                        Last edited by Ajax; 01-02-2015, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X