This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Red Sonja Writer

Okay, so now Gail Simone is coming to the end of her run, who should be next?

My thoughts is get Eric Trautmann back. Have a writer not just for a gimmick (I somehow could escape this was the reasoning behind a female writer for RS - to get new female fans, and almost exclusively phase out the chain mail bikini). Now that box is ticked, maybe we can get back to some good old school RS. We've missed her.

I liked the run, but I am dying to get back to Sonja of old.

Eric Trautmann is fine, I liked Nancy Collins work as well. I will look at most anything so long as Simone is gone.

Comment

Suggestions for thread titles: unless you're telling us who will be the next writer for Red Sonja, don't just title your thread "New Red Sonja Writer".

If your thread is about who'd you like to see take over the character, call the thread something like "Who Would You Like to See Writing Red Sonja After Gail Simone?"

Comment

Sorry I wasted five minutes of your time.

I feel this comment was unnecessarily harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by The Namer View Post
          Sorry I wasted five minutes of your time.

I feel this comment was unnecessarily harsh.
          Don't let it bug you.

I do hope a new writer can bring some lightness of tone from time to time. I appreciate Simone wanted to not have unrelenting grimness all the time, but boob jokes, whining about her stench, and acting like a yowling cat in heat does not work in any way. Simone's humor is one aspect that turns me off anything she writes. I miss the days when Red Sonja could dance and sing in a bar. Too many writers had a sexual harassment angle when Sonja went into a bar followed by the inevitable short fight. This was all too common in the Marvel days and at least Simone hasn't done that, but let her have some fun like she used to. I want to laugh with the scene and character, not at her as a butt of some meta-humor to laugh at the book.

Also, Simone usually wants to avoid having the female hero be like Xena- always winning against her foes with relative ease like the TV series. The problem is she too often has the characters only enduring longer and outlasting her enemies. In both arcs so far, the main bad guys have been taken out by the guest characters and Sonja spends so much time getting captured, defeated, and bailed by others that I wonder why she is the title character of the book. Simone goes way too far the other way to get away from Xena and needs more balance. Sure, she should lose, and be challenged, but in the end she should be leading the charge and swording the big bad of the story. I would hope any new writer remembers who is the hero here.

Finally, get a writer who knows how to write an ending. The second arc was so truncated and tied off to move along that one wonders what all the fuss was about over saving those thousand slaves at the start. They were the McGuffin to get Sonja going and were of no point in the end. Doing this over a sack of gold would have been just as effective, especially when Sonja is going to be buying time on sex slaves at the end to take care of getting laid. If slavery doesn't bother her that much (and it wouldn't be surprising in Howard's Hyboria) don't make the driving start of the story be over saving and freeing slaves. Why should she stick her neck out for the ones at the beginning if she is so flippant about such folks in the end? The first arc wasn't that much better. The death and destruction, the one king she had any respect for, all of it was of no worth to remark on in the end since finding a bar to get loaded in was more important than any of that. Simone often drops the questions her stories raise for a quick gag and cut to -The End- which makes her stories so utterly meaningless that one wonders why the hero was involved at all.

So, I was ready for a new writer the day Simone was announced for this book.

Comment

My god - there is so much of the comment below I agree with....I just cannot believe it.

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
            Don't let it bug you.

I do hope a new writer can bring some lightness of tone from time to time. I appreciate Simone wanted to not have unrelenting grimness all the time, but boob jokes, whining about her stench, and acting like a yowling cat in heat does not work in any way. Simone's humor is one aspect that turns me off anything she writes. I miss the days when Red Sonja could dance and sing in a bar. Too many writers had a sexual harassment angle when Sonja went into a bar followed by the inevitable short fight. This was all too common in the Marvel days and at least Simone hasn't done that, but let her have some fun like she used to. I want to laugh with the scene and character, not at her as a butt of some meta-humor to laugh at the book.

Also, Simone usually wants to avoid having the female hero be like Xena- always winning against her foes with relative ease like the TV series. The problem is she too often has the characters only enduring longer and outlasting her enemies. In both arcs so far, the main bad guys have been taken out by the guest characters and Sonja spends so much time getting captured, defeated, and bailed by others that I wonder why she is the title character of the book. Simone goes way too far the other way to get away from Xena and needs more balance. Sure, she should lose, and be challenged, but in the end she should be leading the charge and swording the big bad of the story. I would hope any new writer remembers who is the hero here.

Finally, get a writer who knows how to write an ending. The second arc was so truncated and tied off to move along that one wonders what all the fuss was about over saving those thousand slaves at the start. They were the McGuffin to get Sonja going and were of no point in the end. Doing this over a sack of gold would have been just as effective, especially when Sonja is going to be buying time on sex slaves at the end to take care of getting laid. If slavery doesn't bother her that much (and it wouldn't be surprising in Howard's Hyboria) don't make the driving start of the story be over saving and freeing slaves. Why should she stick her neck out for the ones at the beginning if she is so flippant about such folks in the end? The first arc wasn't that much better. The death and destruction, the one king she had any respect for, all of it was of no worth to remark on in the end since finding a bar to get loaded in was more important than any of that. Simone often drops the questions her stories raise for a quick gag and cut to -The End- which makes her stories so utterly meaningless that one wonders why the hero was involved at all.

So, I was ready for a new writer the day Simone was announced for this book.

Comment

I used to be a fan of Simone's work, but her relaunch has been the first time in ages I haven't bought Sonja with regularity.

Comment

At least Dynamite gets the occasional one shot and mini-series by other writers. Unfortunately, it seems they want to keep Simone's name attached through as much of 2015 as possible. So, Dynamite is saving me money, that's a plus for the new year.
                Last edited by Ajax; 01-01-2015, 11:39 PM.

Comment

At least Dynamite gets the occasional one shot and mini-series by other writers. Unfortunately, it seems they want to keep Simone's name attached through as much of 2015 as possible. So, Dynamite is saving me money, that's a plus for the new year.
                  I'm not always a fan of her writing. But I bought the first tpb of Simone's Red Sonja run and liked that . . . recently bought the second volume, but haven't read it yet.

Comment

Her run isn't bad particularly - it's just something I can't put my finger on.

The spark just isn't there. Look at volume 1 issues 51-70-something and they are the measure by which all future runs must be judged.

Comment

Originally posted by The Namer View Post
                      Her run isn't bad particularly - it's just something I can't put my finger on.

The spark just isn't there. Look at volume 1 issues 51-70-something and they are the measure by which all future runs must be judged.
                      Maybe it's the way she sees the character. According to her narration in issue 14 Sonja is a carouser, a drinker of all manner of spirits, and wanton. A drunken slut in modern English.

https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=...simone+leaving

She's writing Conan with tits. Simone often describes Sonja as a barbarian. Hyrkanians are not barbarians. In Hyboria they are folks without high culture, arts, technologies, or any sophistication in general. Picts and Cimmerians are barbarians. That's why Conan is depicted despising so much of the civilized world which is seen as weak and decadent. Sonja acting like that chef's food was fouled by herbs and spices might be something Conan would say given his background. Hyrkanians don't have prejudices like that. Sonja being cowed by the big scary temple in issue 11 is another. Hyrkanians are quite familiar with temples, priests, and magical types of all kinds and don't have any instinctual dislike of temples, gods, and magic which characterizes barbarian characters like Conan. Sonja has never been written with any superstitious fears of religious or magical artifacts before, though Conan often is since barbarians hate and distrust that sort of stuff. Trautmann used the breadth of Hyborian cultures and kept what made them distinctive and thereby made Sonja distinctive within it. Simone is writing a poor Conan or Xena clone in a generic medieval world.
                      Last edited by Ajax; 01-04-2015, 07:06 PM.

Comment

My Top Four:

Alex De Campi.

Please note, that I have enjoyed the Gail Simone run myself. I did not enjoy Eric Trautman's Vampirella. So those are my tastes.

Alex De Campi could bring fun into this series while bringing some good sex & blood which I can never tire of! I am unsure about her skills at swashbucking adventure yet based off of my reading history of her (Grindhouse, and other horror titles), though she did write Lady Zorro for Dynamite (I wasn't a huge fan of it myself, though I did buy it just because it's De Campi). Still based off of her other work I would be willing to give her the reigns and let her roll on, plus I surprisingly enjoyed a woman's perspective on Red Sonja.

El Torres, he's writing the best fantasy book out there 'Rogues!'. Would he write another fantasy book at the same time though?

Michael Alan Nelson, a favourite. Past fantasy is Valen The Outcast which is really good.

Chris Roberson. Killed it with Doc Savage and made me an instant fan. What could he do with Sonja!?!

Comment

Maybe it's the way she sees the character. According to her narration in issue 14 Sonja is a carouser, a drinker of all manner of spirits, and wanton. A drunken slut in modern English.
                          No, those really aren't the same things. We don't call Conan that even though he engages in the same behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                            No, those really aren't the same things. We don't call Conan that even though he engages in the same behavior.
                            Yes, it is. Words mean things. It's why I find Simone such an atrocious writer.
                            Last edited by Ajax; 01-05-2015, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                              Well, not to his face, I'm sure.
                              But whatever... slut, manwhore... you're just splitting hairs. Geez, people get so invested in their "preferred terminologies".

If you want the diplomatic phraseology, how about... "He/she is a judgment-impaired recreational breeder*".
                              (And please, DO read that "/" out loud as "AND-or"... I want this to be as non-disinclusive as possible.)

I think that should work universally for just about anyone, regardless of sex, gender, orientation, or what have you.

Hey, might be a role model for some, I'm not casting any stones. But let's at least be completely honest about the ingredients label.

[* Please don't lambaste me for a lack of fidelity to exacting definitions of animal husbandry. I really couldn't find a universal word to fit the description: "A person who engages the aid of another person for the express purpose of achieving sexual orgasm, in such spacial proximity to each other so as to involve the possible exchange or contact of bodily fluids of a procreational nature, regardless of intent"]
                              Last edited by pulphero; 01-05-2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X