Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Red Sonja Writer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by CaptHowdy666 View Post
    As much as I'd rather not expand on this conversation, I just read the reference material and in no way does it even insinuate such an idea. Merging the baddie's insult of her with being described as a 'carouser' " Definition: To drink large amounts of alcohol, especially in boisterous merrymaking (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Carouser)" , 'drinker' "Definition: see carouser', or 'hunter' (hope I don't need to explain that one) is really reaching and implying one's own opinion that people that drink are sluts. That opinion is far fetched. D&D is satanic I hear . Let's move on.
    And, wanton and crude, which taken with the backdrop of the last arc and Simone's much belabored joke about Sonja wanting to get laid through the whole thing but couldn't due to her stench, the villains own usage, and the subsequent narrative description, drunken slut is what you get for Simone's description. Your appeals to authority not withstanding, drunken slut was Simone's description. Take it up with her.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Ajax View Post
      Simone's much belabored joke about Sonja wanting to get laid.
      This one, I do remember from the first arc surprising me as I found it a little jarring and out of place as well. So I guess I agree with you if this quote is being thrown in the mix.

      When I reflected on itthough, I suppose I just eventually shrugged and figured good for Sonja, getting all empowered in this day and age I suppose. I wouldn't have thought twice if Conan thought he was too stinky to sleep with the closest bar wench.

      Though for years I have found the ol' best me in battle and I am yours line dated and needing to be removed for a while now. I've never, ever liked that bit.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by CaptHowdy666 View Post
        This one, I do remember from the first arc surprising me as I found it a little jarring and out of place as well. So I guess I agree with you if this quote is being thrown in the mix.

        When I reflected on itthough, I suppose I just eventually shrugged and figured good for Sonja, getting all empowered in this day and age I suppose. I wouldn't have thought twice if Conan thought he was too stinky to sleep with the closest bar wench.

        Though for years I have found the ol' best me in battle and I am yours line dated and needing to be removed for a while now. I've never, ever liked that bit.
        Get Vulture's Circle where Collins introduces a lover for Sonja through characterization rather than Simone's ham-handed 'Sonja wants snu-snu!' way. Honestly, that one issue had more character development for Sonja and her surrounding cast than Simone's entire run.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Ajax View Post
          That means drunken slut. We've been through this already, Dorothy. You don't want to look behind the curtain at the egregiously bad writer.
          Let's not get weirdly and inappropriately personal, thank you. ("Dorothy"? Really?) We may disagree about the quality of her work, but having read Simone for years, I'm pretty sure I have a fair understanding of what that work actually is.

          Originally posted by CaptHowdy666 View Post
          As much as I'd rather not expand on this conversation, I just read the reference material and in no way does it even insinuate such an idea.
          Thank you.

          Originally posted by CaptHowdy666 View Post
          I wouldn't have thought twice if Conan thought he was too stinky to sleep with the closest bar wench.
          Bingo. Equal opportunity, especially for a character who doesn't take crap from anyone.

          Originally posted by Ajax View Post
          drunken slut was Simone's description.
          No, it wasn't--the word "slut" is only used by an incredibly evil character (which makes it appropriate for the character, I suppose), and not by the omniscient narrator nor by Simone in interviews, unless I've missed it somewhere.

          Again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slut-shaming

          Originally posted by Ajax View Post
          Get Vulture's Circle where Collins introduces a lover for Sonja through characterization rather than Simone's ham-handed 'Sonja wants snu-snu!' way. Honestly, that one issue had more character development for Sonja and her surrounding cast than Simone's entire run.
          Which, the Gentle Reader may note from the solciits, stars an "older, battle-scarred Red Sonja, who has exchanged the life of a mercenary for running a school for sword-maidens." Same character at different points in her life--Simone's is at the age where "Sonja wants snu-snu" is more of a driving force, and without the probable life lessons she'll get over time.

          Comment

          Working...
          X