Nancy Collins's Vampirella

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nancy Collins's Vampirella

I have been very pleased with the new version of Vampirella. It captures more of the old Warren feel I fondly remember while still maintaining the post-Warren character. When I was living in Australia in the '90s and traveling around the area I used to think about a storyline where Vampi (preferably with Adam, Conrad and Pendragon) would tour the world on adventures where she would encounter creatures from aboriginal, New Guinean and Filipino folk lore. It's great to actually see it and very well done at that. Dynamite could have given up on the character but didn't. Great job with writer, artist and cover artists!

I especially like that Vampi is now the Queen of the Nosferatu and living a life of luxury with interesting supporting characters. Too long she was a homeless person leading a life of pain, violence and loneliness. No way to treat a lady. And after issue #8 I have to say, Malibu Barbie may be more famous but "Limo Vampi" beats her nine ways to Sunday!

Happier with New Supporting Character's for Vampirella

Originally posted by rlvaugh View Post
    I have been very pleased with the new version of Vampirella. It captures more of the old Warren feel I fondly remember while still maintaining the post-Warren character. When I was living in Australia in the '90s and traveling around the area I used to think about a storyline where Vampi (preferably with Adam, Conrad and Pendragon) would tour the world on adventures where she would encounter creatures from aboriginal, New Guinean and Filipino folk lore. It's great to actually see it and very well done at that. Dynamite could have given up on the character but didn't. Great job with writer, artist and cover artists!

I especially like that Vampi is now the Queen of the Nosferatu and living a life of luxury with interesting supporting characters. Too long she was a homeless person leading a life of pain, violence and loneliness. No way to treat a lady. And after issue #8 I have to say, Malibu Barbie may be more famous but "Limo Vampi" beats her nine ways to Sunday!
    Actually, I'm fine with new supporting characters. Especially, if you consider that Adam, Conrad, and Pendragon are all humans and therefore subject to aging. Well, except, of course, that Adam and Conrad are dead.

So for the sake of argument, Adam and Conrad didn't die in the 90s, they would in their late 60s and late 80s/early 90s, respectively. And Pendragon? He would be in his mid to late 90s. In the old Warren Publishing era, Vampirella Issue #24 Pendragon said that he was branded 4F for the draft in WWII. So, he decided to join the USO to entertain the troops as his way of serving.

It's quite possible that Conrad and Pendragon would be dead of natural causes.

So, I'm fine with new supporting characters. Frankly, I really disliked Adam anyway. I thought he was a misogynistic, jealously possessive, control freak who was psychologically abusive to Vampirella, and whose fragile male ego was threaten Vampi's strength--in all senses of that word. Reference the Vengeance of Vampirella story arc in the 90s when Adam takes that Hyde-25 drug so that he can be a strong as Vampi, and it almost kills him. Seriously, how flipping insecure can you get! Adam always struck me as a guy that is only happy in a relationship when he can dominate and manipulate a woman. He never really respects her for who and what she is. For this reason, I thought Thomas Criswell would have made a far better love interest for Vampi. Tom respected and loved her for who and what she is. He was never condescending to her; yes, he disagreed with her--they even had arguments, but he never felt the need to belittle her to make himself feel superior the way Adam sometimes did. And Tom truly was sensitive to her needs in ways Adam never was. Case in point with Adam's insensitivity, during the Dracula Wars series in the early 90s when Vampi is having a major existential crisis about her identity, and it's VERY obvious she needs to resolve this. When she's questioning every memory she has about her past, her deceased family, her long dead husband, Tristan, and her people's history and culture. It would be like if I woke up one morning and started questioning whether I was a human being from planet Earth and whether my family wasn't my family or my wife wasn't my wife. This is the potential for major psychological trauma we're talking about. Is Adam supportive? Hell no! Get your ass to France, Vampi, and find out what's going on over there! WHAT AN ASS! Tom Criswell would have been far more supportive in this situation. Hell, he would have followed Vampi on her quest for the truth of her past.

I also really liked the Sofia Murray character, but they had to kill her off, too, before that friendship really took hold.

Comment

G'day,

Over on Facebook, Nancy posted this comment.

" Who would you like to see working as a field agent for The Kabal in my VAMPIRELLA series?"

She was referring to this article.:

http://io9.com/10-public-domain-char...oot-1680918010

I like Fatomah, what do people here think?

Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
        " Who would you like to see working as a field agent for The Kabal in my VAMPIRELLA series?"
        I can see Fantomah being a good choice. I think Fleur, the immortal sorceress from the old Warren magazine, would also be an interesting character to resurrect.

Comment

Originally posted by ddamaged View Post
          Actually, I'm fine with new supporting characters. Especially, if you consider that Adam, Conrad, and Pendragon are all humans and therefore subject to aging. Well, except, of course, that Adam and Conrad are dead.

So for the sake of argument, Adam and Conrad didn't die in the 90s, they would in their late 60s and late 80s/early 90s, respectively. And Pendragon? He would be in his mid to late 90s. In the old Warren Publishing era, Vampirella Issue #24 Pendragon said that he was branded 4F for the draft in WWII. So, he decided to join the USO to entertain the troops as his way of serving.

It's quite possible that Conrad and Pendragon would be dead of natural causes.
          As far as I'm concerned, the Harris era can be completely forgotten and dispensed with as non-canonical, and for that matter, all of the prior DE series as well, although they seem to be keeping at least some bits. Vampirella hasn't exactly been the poster girl for continuity. Screw the ages of the characters, if Batman and Superman can still be in their 30s and their supporting casts eternally youthful, then so can Vampirella.

Nancy Collins' Vampi has been the most consistently readable version of the character since Warren went out of business.

Comment

Working...
          X