Vampirella #10 That Kiss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampirella #10 That Kiss

Is it me? Or did that kiss seem a little abrupt and out of place? It seems as the romantic development between Vampirella and Tristan is somewhat rushed and perfunctory, rather than organic. In terms of dramatic arcs, I don't think that kiss was earned.
    Last edited by ddamaged; 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM.

Originally posted by ddamaged View Post
    Is it me? Or did that kiss seem a little abrupt and out of place? It seems as the romantic development between Vampirella and Tristan is somewhat rushed and perfunctory, rather than organic. In terms of dramatic arcs, I don't think that kiss was earned.
    I don't know, I saw it coming. And not just because he is the obvious replacement for the Warren version of Tristan. At least Vampi's getting some for a change. Overall, I really liked this issue and where the series is going. This may be the pinnacle since Vampi returned in 1992 (I've been there since 1969, so I've seen it all!). Yes, there were a few good issues and short arcs since 1992, but they always felt - and were - rare events.

Issue 10 had good art, good dialog, good storytelling, good cliff-hanger. I'm guessing Cain may be Vampi's father; not sure how I feel about that. I was a little shocked to realize I've never thought much at all about who her father might be. In the early Harris days I thought they were angling for Chaos at one point, then deleted the whole question, probably because the stories were disappointing. At any rate, Nancy Collins is doing a terrific job, much better than Gail Simone would (I shudder to think what kind of depraved, depressing hardships she would put our heroine through; she can even suck the fun out of a Conan and Red Sonja team-up). And the JF cover was as stunning as ever, though I still wish Dynamite would link the covers to the story. Surely that can't be THAT hard.

As for the interior art, Vampi's range of expressions is amazing and Draculina is mouth-watering. Evily is a ripe piece of fruit, as well. Great job by all involved!

Comment

Loving Nancy Collins's Run of Vampirella

Originally posted by rlvaugh View Post
      I don't know, I saw it coming. And not just because he is the obvious replacement for the Warren version of Tristan. At least Vampi's getting some for a change. Overall, I really liked this issue and where the series is going. This may be the pinnacle since Vampi returned in 1992 (I've been there since 1969, so I've seen it all!). Yes, there were a few good issues and short arcs since 1992, but they always felt - and were - rare events.

Issue 10 had good art, good dialog, good storytelling, good cliff-hanger. I'm guessing Cain may be Vampi's father; not sure how I feel about that. I was a little shocked to realize I've never thought much at all about who her father might be. In the early Harris days I thought they were angling for Chaos at one point, then deleted the whole question, probably because the stories were disappointing. At any rate, Nancy Collins is doing a terrific job, much better than Gail Simone would (I shudder to think what kind of depraved, depressing hardships she would put our heroine through; she can even suck the fun out of a Conan and Red Sonja team-up). And the JF cover was as stunning as ever, though I still wish Dynamite would link the covers to the story. Surely that can't be THAT hard.

As for the interior art, Vampi's range of expressions is amazing and Draculina is mouth-watering. Evily is a ripe piece of fruit, as well. Great job by all involved!
      Oh, don't get me wrong! I am really enjoying Nancy's run with Vampirella, and the artwork's fantastic. And I have no problem with Vampirella and Tristan having a relationship, but from a writer's standpoint it just felt like she went from Point A to Point D and forgot Points B and C. I feel as though I'm missing some issues that develop their romantic relationship arc. To give an example, and this is an EXAGGERATION, the exchange seemed almost as incongruous as the following:

Vampirella: Hi, I'm Vampirella!

Tristan: Hi, I'm Tristan!

Vampirella: Want to bang on the table?

Tristan: Sure why not!

And not to say that Gail Simone should take over, which I don't wish to see (maybe a 5-part miniseries), because as I stated earlier I love Nancy's writing for Vampi. That said Vampirella is a horror comic, unlike Red Sonja, and, well, "depraved, depressing hardships" are kind of the point of horror. After all, the best horror short stories, novellas, and full-length novels don't really have happy endings, see the entire body of H.P. Lovecraft's horror writing. Even the Warren Vampirella stories had bittersweet endings. Yes, the heroine and her companions won, but at a cost, and sometimes that cost exacted a heavy toll.

Comment

G'day,

What makes you think this is going to have a happy ending? Nancy is an experienced horror writer, not a romance writer.

ta

Ralph

Oh, don't get me wrong! I am really enjoying Nancy's run with Vampirella, and the artwork's fantastic. And I have no problem with Vampirella and Tristan having a relationship, but from a writer's standpoint it just felt like she went from Point A to Point D and forgot Points B and C. I feel as though I'm missing some issues that develop their romantic relationship arc. To give an example, and this is an EXAGGERATION, the exchange seemed almost as incongruous as the following:

And not to say that Gail Simone should take over, which I don't wish to see (maybe a 5-part miniseries), because as I stated earlier I love Nancy's writing for Vampi. That said Vampirella is a horror comic, unlike Red Sonja, and, well, "depraved, depressing hardships" are kind of the point of horror. After all, the best horror short stories, novellas, and full-length novels don't really have happy endings, see the entire body of H.P. Lovecraft's horror writing. Even the Warren Vampirella stories had bittersweet endings. Yes, the heroine and her companions won, but at a cost, and sometimes that cost exacted a heavy toll.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
          G'day,

What makes you think this is going to have a happy ending? Nancy is an experienced horror writer, not a romance writer.

ta

Ralph
          Too right! But my original point was that from a character development/relationship arc Vampi & Tris's relationship seemed rushed.

Comment

Yep, put Gail Simone on the title, then I get to save a bit of money every month when I cancel it

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
              G'day,

ta

Ralph
              G'day! I moved from New Orleans to Melbourne in early 1992 and enjoyed the heady, early days of the Harris Vampirella at a comic shop called "Alternate Worlds" (if I remember correctly) in Camberwell. Used to ride the tram there. Those were great days; moved away in '96. You Aussies' have a great country. Hope you're enjoying it! Maybe Nancy will have Vampi go on an adventure in the Tasmanian convict ruins or along the great ocean road or at Hanging Rock. Thanks for bringing back great memories. Have a Vic bitter for me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Namer View Post
                Yep, put Gail Simone on the title, then I get to save a bit of money every month when I cancel it
                But then I'd be making up for it by buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                  But then I'd be making up for it by buying it.

Yeah, not a fan of Gail- but realise she is popular.

I'd just be happier if she's move onto titles I don't buy.

Comment

Working...
                  X