Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simone Talks "Swords of Sorrow," Teases Big Changes for Major Characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Simone Talks "Swords of Sorrow," Teases Big Changes for Major Characters

    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...jor-characters

    This could be interesting though it could be odd. I'm also reminded of the whole array of issues from a previous Dynamite Red Sonja continuity when she became a vampire after meeting Dracula...

  • #2
    Gail Simone is to Red Sonja what Frederic Wertham is to Batman.

    Simone's stories wouldn't be so bad if she didn't have a grudge against voluptuous heroines.
    Last edited by Comic2read; 05-05-2015, 07:02 AM.
    Comic2read

    Comment


    • #3
      ... um, yeah, we'll have to disagree here on both counts. I've found her work to be consistently awesome, and I see nothing she's said to indicate any kind of "grudge against voluptuous heroines." Seriously, where did you get that idea?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
        ... um, yeah, we'll have to disagree here on both counts. I've found her work to be consistently awesome, and I see nothing she's said to indicate any kind of "grudge against voluptuous heroines." Seriously, where did you get that idea?
        As a long time Sonja fan, I've found Simone's work on Sonja to be consistently awful, the character is either beaten up, saved by minor characters or wanting to have sex with everything she see's. And what amazes me, is that everyone seems to be lapping it up and heaping praise on this crap...

        Comment


        • #5
          Different tastes, I suppose.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
            ... um, yeah, we'll have to disagree here on both counts. I've found her work to be consistently awesome, and I see nothing she's said to indicate any kind of "grudge against voluptuous heroines." Seriously, where did you get that idea?
            I think you are right that people have different ideas about Gail's run on the book.

            I, for one am not a fan. Although the stories are readable, it just misses the essence of what makes Red Sonja. My view.

            Looking at previous writers, Roy Thomas and Eric Trautmann come to mind, and the stories were well plotted, paced and had just the right amount of excitement, suspense, and most of all respect for the character and her back story. This is what I find missing from Gail Simone's run. The fact that RS has become a beer swilling sex starved drifter has turned me off the book. At the point I was going to quit I saw the news that the creative team will be changing, so hung on. In my view the sheer attempt to change the character to broaden appeal, has destroyed the very thing I enjoyed.

            I hope these can be returned.

            On another note though, other stories which supposedly tie in with the 'new ways' (the various limited series) have been far more entertaining than the actual main book. Vultures Circle comes to mind - absolutely left the main book dead in the water.

            I realise I may be in the minority, but I really hope Red Sonja comes back to the book I love very soon. Walter's art even seems like a watered down version - just compare the run in RS #51 >. It was awesome - now, it just isn't.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
              As a long time Sonja fan, I've found Simone's work on Sonja to be consistently awful, the character is either beaten up, saved by minor characters or wanting to have sex with everything she see's. And what amazes me, is that everyone seems to be lapping it up and heaping praise on this crap...
              Although I would word it more sensitively than you have (see above) - I tend to agree with the sentiment.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by The Namer View Post
                In my view the sheer attempt to change the character to broaden appeal, has destroyed the very thing I enjoyed.
                I'm not sure it's to broaden appeal--I think the changes are because the writer thinks they are good for the character.

                What would you say is the essence you are missing?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by The Namer View Post
                  Although I would word it more sensitively than you have (see above) - I tend to agree with the sentiment.
                  I tend to agree as well. Swords of Sorrow starts out with Sonja beaten and needing to be bailed out, hardly an auspicious beginning. And the first thing she wants is booze as soon as she is bailed out. There is very little other than a sodded idiot to Simone's characterization of Red Sonja. It should be amusing to see the reaction of folks when a man comes on the book and writes her as a perpetually beaten, drunken, sex-starved buffoon.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    I'm not sure it's to broaden appeal--I think the changes are because the writer thinks they are good for the character.

                    What would you say is the essence you are missing?
                    So, Sonja's back story was rewritten, she no longer was raped as a young girl/teenager/woman (was never to clear on that point) so she doesn't have the oath or the super human powers Dynamite stuck her with. So gone is the tragic back story and the stories of forlorn love and longing, knowing though she may fall in love she can never be with that person (unless defeated in combat, or a game of chess). Instead, we have Sonja, who in her first appearance, is chained up in a dungeon as a gladiator slave and I believe its stated she was raped by the frog man jailor thing (Sooo why change the back story?). She then gets beat up by her slave sister, gets the plague, runs around the swamp and tries to have sex with cannibals, gathers the worlds greatest performers who rescue her from jail and save the day and she then wanders off to spend all the gold in a brothel.

                    Where's the cocky thief/brigand/warrior woman of yesteryear who yes, got into trouble, but got herself out of it, and was the only female character able to run rings round Conan?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
                      So, Sonja's back story was rewritten, she no longer was raped as a young girl/teenager/woman (was never to clear on that point) so she doesn't have the oath or the super human powers Dynamite stuck her with. So gone is the tragic back story and the stories of forlorn love and longing, knowing though she may fall in love she can never be with that person (unless defeated in combat, or a game of chess). Instead, we have Sonja, who in her first appearance, is chained up in a dungeon as a gladiator slave and I believe its stated she was raped by the frog man jailor thing (Sooo why change the back story?). She then gets beat up by her slave sister, gets the plague, runs around the swamp and tries to have sex with cannibals, gathers the worlds greatest performers who rescue her from jail and save the day and she then wanders off to spend all the gold in a brothel.

                      Where's the cocky thief/brigand/warrior woman of yesteryear who yes, got into trouble, but got herself out of it, and was the only female character able to run rings round Conan?
                      I don't believe it was said she was raped during her three years in the gladiator prison, but it would be stretching belief to believe she wouldn't be. To think rape wouldn't happen under those conditions is to stretch credulity. Besides, whether or not that happened, this is not a world with any kind of birth control, knowledge of STDs, or access to safe abortion techniques, so it also stretches believability that Simone's horny Sonja isn't a She-Devil with a stroller or crab louse house or worse by now.
                      Last edited by Ajax; 05-09-2015, 07:59 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                        Besides, whether or not that happened, this is not a world with any kind of birth control, knowledge of STDs, or access to safe abortion techniques, so it also stretches believability that Simone's horny Sonja isn't a She-Devil with a stroller or crab louse house or worse by now.


                        Very good points. Horny Sandra is no Red Sonja. I reckon shes an imposter who stole the bikini.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          seems from this thread that Dynamite have done to RS what i was ranting about them doing to the Chaos characters. nice to know there's some consistency in the company's MO. i find the comments about sex etc intereting too, there seems to be an innate misogyny at Dynamite whereby they are making a lot of once-proud and interesting characters nothing more than c*ck/snatch-happy sluts. not entirely sure of the reason for this but it seems to speak volumes about the authors.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                            I'm not sure it's to broaden appeal--I think the changes are because the writer thinks they are good for the character.

                            What would you say is the essence you are missing?
                            What's missing? 'A time of HIGH adventure'.........less alcohol and blatant racing to get laid.

                            It's just missing some Roy Thomas-ness.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Scarlette View Post
                              there seems to be an innate misogyny at Dynamite whereby they are making a lot of once-proud and interesting characters nothing more than c*ck/snatch-happy sluts
                              Two things:

                              (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slut-shaming

                              (2) I also don't think Gail Simone is a misogynist. Call it a hunch.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X