Dynamite solicits for Sept 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    How is that any different than getting Fox's approval for an Aliens/Vampirella crossover? Dark Horse doesn't own Aliens, either, so they can't just do whatever the heck they want. All I'm saying, is of the known franchises that DH publishes the comic versions of, those things (Hellboy and Buffy) would be more appropriate thematically, a better fit with Vampirella.
    I actually like the idea of Aliens/Vampirella, it brings back that 70's scifi vibe that the Warren series had, just wished it took placed on Drakulon and not Mars(according to the solicits).

Comment

alice cooper vs chaos. fantastic - not content with defecating all over one group of characters i liked, they drag in another. and to rub salt in the wounds, it's written by the oh-so-"talented" seeley.

and vampirella vs aliens? they really are scraping the barrel. have they no sensible long term plans for characters other then throwing them all together in the most idiotic crossovers they can think of?

can't wait to see how high up the charts these little gems soar.

Comment

How is that any different than getting Fox's approval for an Aliens/Vampirella crossover?
        Maybe getting approval from FOX for that was easier?

I don't know if Mignola and/or Whedon would have any problem with a Vampirella cross-over or not. But just because one crossover got the green light doesn't mean the other concepts would.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
          Maybe getting approval from FOX for that was easier?

I don't know if Mignola and/or Whedon would have any problem with a Vampirella cross-over or not. But just because one crossover got the green light doesn't mean the other concepts would.
          Yeah, whatever. I'm just commenting on what I'd have preferred to see. A long, long time ago there was a Dark Horse/Valiant crossover that was originally supposed to be Terminator vs. Magnus Robot Fighter... but for whatever reason, it didn't pan out, and they couldn't get approval from whomever controlled the copyright to Terminator at that time (originally it was Orion Pictures, but that changed hands)... so they wound up doing a Predator vs. Magnus Robot Fighter crossover, which wasn't anywhere near as satisfying to me, from a conceptual standpoint.

And if they could work something about Vampirella's Draculonian origins into the Vampirella/Aliens crossover, that would justify it for me... but judging from what I can glean of her modern continuity at DE, I doubt that's going to be the case.
          Last edited by pulphero; 06-22-2015, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlette View Post
            can't wait to see how high up the charts these little gems soar.
            You don't have to buy them if you don't want to.

Comment

And if they could work something about Vampirella's Draculonian origins into the Vampirella/Aliens crossover, that would justify it for me... but judging from what I can glean of her modern continuity at DE, I doubt that's going to be the case.
              I'd love to see Vampirella/Vampirella, i.e., the alternate versions from parallel worlds meet each other, one from Drakulon, one not...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlette View Post
                . . . and to rub salt in the wounds, it's written by the oh-so-"talented" seeley . . .
                I'll take Tim Seeley over Victor Gischler, J. Michael Straczynski, and a few other writers any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                  You don't have to buy them if you don't want to.
                  oh really? Phew, that's a relief!

Comment

I'll take Tim Seeley over Victor Gischler, J. Michael Straczynski, and a few other writers any day of the week.
                    Straczynski I either love or hate. If it's The Twelve, Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme, or Sidekick, he's great. If it's The Twilight Zone or Terminator: Salvation, he's awesome. If it's something like Spider-Man, Thor, Superman, or Wonder Woman, he's awful. So the way I see it, just keep him away from your major superhero brand franchises, and you'll be all right.

Comment

I really used to love Straczynski--his Babylon 5 was fantastic. I enjoyed a lot of his Spider-Man run, and a big chunk of his Fantastic Four, but the whole "Reed is a fascist" and "Reed thinks his uncle should have caved to McCarthy" thing started putting a bad taste in my mouth--well, yes, and the whole Gwen/Osborn sex thing--and then his Superman and WW stuff--and his "leave a book abruptly" business--and at this point, I'm just not interested in any new stuff he does, sorry to say.

Comment

From these,
                        * JUSTICE, INC.: THE AVENGER #4
                        * MASKS 2 #6 ( of 8 )
                        * WILL EISNERíS THE SPIRIT #3
                        - possibly THE SHADOW VOL. 2 #2
                        - possibly Swords of Sorrow: Miss Fury / Lady Rawhide Special
                        Since then, . . .
                        * probably passing on The Shadow #2 and trade-waiting
                        * adding Swords of Sorrow #5

Comment

I really used to love Straczynski--his Babylon 5 was fantastic. I enjoyed a lot of his Spider-Man run, and a big chunk of his Fantastic Four, but the whole "Reed is a fascist" and "Reed thinks his uncle should have caved to McCarthy" thing started putting a bad taste in my mouth--well, yes, and the whole Gwen/Osborn sex thing--and then his Superman and WW stuff--and his "leave a book abruptly" business--and at this point, I'm just not interested in any new stuff he does, sorry to say.
                          Yeah, but you liked Babylon 5. Probably because you had no predetermined expectations about the characters going into it. If you have standards you expect JMS to adhere to regarding how certain characters should or ought to behave, he's going to disappoint you, because he has to do it HIS own way. Left to his own devices on his own creations or some obscure characters (The Twelve, Squadron Supreme) that you don't have clear conceptions of who they are or should be, he's fine. Better than fine. But I have to say, he gets the movie/TV stuff like Terminator or Twilight Zone and nails the tone perfectly.

All of the stuff you hated involved him writing characters other people created, and you wanted them written according to the way they were traditionally characterized. Those are EXACTLY the kind of characters you need to keep JMS away from. And when you do that, he's fine.
                          Last edited by pulphero; 08-21-2015, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but you liked Babylon 5. Probably because you had no predetermined expectations about the characters going into it. If you have standards you expect JMS to adhere to regarding how certain characters should or ought to behave, he's going to disappoint you, because he has to do it HIS own way. Left to his own devices on his own creations or some obscure characters (The Twelve, Squadron Supreme) that you don't have clear conceptions of who they are or should be, he's fine. Better than fine. But I have to say, he gets the movie/TV stuff like Terminator or Twilight Zone and nails the tone perfectly.

All of the stuff you hated involved him writing characters other people created, and you wanted them written according to the way they were traditionally characterized. Those are EXACTLY the kind of characters you need to keep JMS away from. And when you do that, he's fine.
                            And his take on Squadron Supreme was an alt-universe version of them as well. Hadn't really thought of them as obscure...

I need to get the rest of The Twelve when I can. I saw the reprint of one of the Rockman stories and I liked the concept much more (for heaven's sake, Marvel already has a bunch of underground kingdoms he could have been tied to) than JMS' take on it. I liked his run on Spider-Man up to a certain point and then when Sins Past and Civil War hit it just went downhill fast.

I have gotten a bit weary of the way he's been dealing with things the last few years--leaving titles abruptly, etc.

Comment

I have gotten a bit weary of the way he's been dealing with things the last few years--leaving titles abruptly, etc.
                              Oh, I said that already. Sorry...

Comment

And his take on Squadron Supreme was an alt-universe version of them as well. Hadn't really thought of them as obscure...
                                Well, they're not the Mark Gruenwald versions of those characters. In fact, they're literally not even the same characters -- different identities altogether. Although they have the same code names and superpowers as the previous Marvel Squadron, they're not really even close to being the JLA.

The JMS versions of the Squadron Supreme make a brief appearance in the Secret Wars spinoff Squadron Sinister, and JMS' version of Nighthawk will survive to become a member of James Robinson's post-SW Squadron Supreme, along with various other sole survivors of different universes - Hyperion (originally from Gruenwald's version of SS, lately seen in Avengers), Warrior Woman (from the Squadron Sinister), Dr. Spectrum (from The Great Society, whose other members were killed by the Illuminati during an Incursion), Thundra (from that alternate future timeline matriarchal Earth), and Blur (from the New Universe's DP7).
                                Last edited by pulphero; 08-22-2015, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X