Dynamite solicits for November 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamite solicits for November 2015

Its time to build our monthly jigsaw puzzle of the DE solicits.
    Horror/Humor titles: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/...g-in-november/
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AliensVampi03-Cov-A-Hardman-600x900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	49664

New stuff:
    CAGE HERO#1
    (W) Kevin Eastman, Rik Hoskin (A/CA) Renato Rei
    From the minds of Kevin Eastman (co-creator of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Ian Parker (MMA expert and former UFC Manager), and Mark Mastrandrea (MMA personality), comes Cage Hero! A middle school student and wrestling star, raised by his strict grandfather, finds himself on an epic journey to meet his true destiny when he is recruited to lead a super-powered team of mixed martial artists known as the Cage Heroes! Thirteen year-old Ryder Stone must meet the challenge to lead a group of young talented MMA fighters from across the globe, and still maintain his grade point average. Trained in their own unique martial art discipline, all connected by a secret past, this new team will have to dig deep with themselves to protect the world from an evil network known as the Shadow Empire.

JAMES BOND#1
    (W) Warren Ellis (A) Jason Masters (CA) Dom Reardon
    Beginning "VARGR", the first story in the ongoing James Bond comic series by best-selling writer Warren Ellis! James Bond returns to London after a mission of vengeance in Helsinki, to take up the workload of a fallen 00 Section agent. But something evil is moving through the back streets of the city, and sinister plans are being laid for Bond in Berlin...
    In Stores November 4th in advance of the block buster movie on November 6th! Dynamite Entertainment is proud to launch the first James Bond comic book series in 20 years! "Ian Fleming's James Bond is an icon, and it's a delight to tell visual narratives with the original, brutal, damaged Bond of the books." - Warren Ellis

PATHFINDER HOLLOW MOUNTAIN#1
    (W) James L. Sutter (A) Tom Garcia (CA) Carlos E. Gomez
    An exciting new Pathfinder adventure begins! When an expedition into an ancient runelord stronghold meets with disaster, the Pathfinder heroes find themselves working together with some of the setting's most notorious villains in order to survive and locate a priceless magical item. But even with their own lives on the line, can an agent of the sinister Aspis Consortium ever really be trusted? Brave the fearsome monsters and deadly traps of Hollow Mountain in the first sword-swinging issue from Pathfinder co-creator James L. Sutter (Pathfinder Origins, Death's Heretic), with art from rising star Tom Garcia (Mercy Thompson). Contains pull-out poster map and official Pathfinder RPG bonus encounter!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	JamesBond01-Cov-E-Incen30-Panosian-dbebf.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	49032Click image for larger version

Name:	STK687846.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	49033Click image for larger version

Name:	STK687852.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	49034

Comment

So much of that stuff is so not appealing to me. (Will have to see what else they announce later.)

Then again, what I am interested in probably doesn't typically sell as well with the general comic buying audience these days.

Comment

Full solicits here: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...ynamitenov.htm

Comment

I'm waiting for the swords/sorcery/sandal/spaceship stuff--Sonja, John Carter, Tarzan, Swords of Sorrow, etc.

Comment

I might read a James Bond 007 comic book by Warren Ellis, if I liked the artwork. We'll see.

Out of this month's batch, definitely getting:
            Vampirella 1969
            Vampirella Vol. 2: God Save the Queen TP

Waiting for trades:
            John Carter, Warlord of Mars
            Justice Inc: The Avenger
            The Shadow Vol. 2
            Last edited by pulphero; 08-20-2015, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
              Then again, what I am interested in probably doesn't typically sell as well with the general comic buying audience these days.
              Ditto. How many times have I heard "Sorry, we stopped ordering that"? Between that and trying to find the specific cover variant I wanted of a particular title, it just seemed a lot easier in most cases to wait for the trade paperback.

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
                Thanks for that. But . . . sheesh!:
                JUSTICE, INC.: THE AVENGER #6

Written by Mark Waid, Christopher Sequeira, art by Ronilson Freire, cover by Francesco Francavilla

Final issue! Betrayed by a former ally? Richard Benson and his Justice, Inc. team find themselves standing at the brink of a world war thanks to misplaced loyalties and a villain with a grudge that threatens to bury all of humanity!
                I know I wasn't all that thrilled with this title, but that is a surprise to me!

At the moment I plan on getting:
                * MASKS 2 #8 (Final Issue, but we new it was an eight-issue run going in)
                * WILL EISNER'S THE SPIRIT #5

will probably trade-wait The Shadow, and undecided on the new Bond series. (Also undecided if I'll finish out the run for The Avenger or not.)

So, not too much for me (again).

Comment

Getting:
                  ALIENS VS VAMPIRELLA
                  JAMES BOND
                  JOHN CARTER

Comment

Not really impressed with the choices. I enjoy Bond, but really don't like what Ellis did with PSP. I will have to wait before I buy in.

I guess I fall into that category of I buy what nobody else does. Outside of The Shadow, is Dynamite doing any pulp going forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
                      Not really impressed with the choices. I enjoy Bond, but really don't like what Ellis did with PSP. I will have to wait before I buy in.

I guess I fall into that category of I buy what nobody else does. Outside of The Shadow, is Dynamite doing any pulp going forward?
                      Well, Will Eisner's The Spirit sort of falls into that area, being based on the old comics for the 1940s about a masked crimefighter (though with some revisions to characters since things like keeping Ebony as his stereotypical 1940s version wouldn't work in a modern-written story).

Comment

Thanks for that. But . . . sheesh!:I know I wasn't all that thrilled with this title, but that is a surprise to me!
                        Oh, that's nothing new for DE. Just because they don't tell you from the get-go that it's going to be 4,5,6,8 or 12 issues, you know that doesn't mean it's going to run for 20 or 30-odd issues. It's more like, "Here's a new series, we'll get in at least one story arc, and see how it goes sales-wise. If you guys like it enough to buy lots of copies, maybe we'll keep it going for another arc or two or three". They may even have dropped the word "ongoing" at one point or another, but you know that's just optimistic thinking. When they say nothing about how many issues, or even if they might say 'ongoing', you have to consider that that's just best-case scenario thinking... more like "ongoing, as long as you continue to buy it".

Comment

Well, Will Eisner's The Spirit sort of falls into that area, being based on the old comics for the 1940s about a masked crimefighter (though with some revisions to characters since things like keeping Ebony as his stereotypical 1940s version wouldn't work in a modern-written story).
                          Close enough for me. Sort of falls into a gray area in-between pulp, Golden Age comic book characters, and newspaper adventure strip characters. So not quite a pulp character like The Shadow, not quite a classic newspaper strip character like The Phantom, not quite Golden Age comic book heroes like PSP.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                            Close enough for me. Sort of falls into a gray area in-between pulp, Golden Age comic book characters, and newspaper adventure strip characters. So not quite a pulp character like The Shadow, not quite a classic newspaper strip character like The Phantom, not quite Golden Age comic book heroes like PSP.
                            With Project Superpowers, even before Ellis, I wouldn't quite label that as straight "Golden Age comic book heroes". To me, they're more of a based on and borrowing the characters from Golden Age comic books but definitely with much more modern twists / sensibilities. Almost like clones of Golden Age comic book heroes, the same way that modern-day Superman and Batman are so far removed from their Golden Age counterparts. The innocence and fun / simplicity are nowhere to be found.

Comment

With Project Superpowers, even before Ellis, I wouldn't quite label that as straight "Golden Age comic book heroes". To me, they're more of a based on and borrowing the characters from Golden Age comic books but definitely with much more modern twists / sensibilities. Almost like clones of Golden Age comic book heroes, the same way that modern-day Superman and Batman are so far removed from their Golden Age counterparts. The innocence and fun / simplicity are nowhere to be found.
                              True enough. But then Dynamite's The Shadow comic book isn't Walter Gibson's pulp Shadow either. Neither is Matt Wagner's take on The Spirit perfectly in sync with Will Eisner's, nor are the King Features adventure heroes in Dynamite's comics the same as they were in the classic newspaper strips. All of them involve "much more modern twists / sensibilities". That may seem a little more obvious with Golden Age comic heroes only to the degree that they were originally slightly more juvenile than our other examples.
                              Last edited by pulphero; 08-21-2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X