Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When / How Soon Do You Think Most Dynamite Titles Will Be $4.99?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When / How Soon Do You Think Most Dynamite Titles Will Be $4.99?

In noticing the listings (through both ComicList and Previewsworld) of comics that will be coming out on Wednesday September 2nd, I saw that the SWORDS OF SORROW: MISS FURY / LADY RAWHIDE SPECIAL has a price of $4.99.

That book had originally been solicited at a cover price of $3.99.
    http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/pr...r&getYear=2015

Now, I know Dynamite does already have some titles priced at $4.99, but do you think the $4.99 price for the Miss Fury & Lady Rawhide Special will really be $4.99, or was it just a mistake?

And when do you think that Dynamite may reach a point that their typical print comic book has a regular cover price of $4.99?

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In noticing the listings (through both ComicList and Previewsworld) of comics that will be coming out on Wednesday September 2nd, I saw that the SWORDS OF SORROW: MISS FURY / LADY RAWHIDE SPECIAL has a price of $4.99.

That book had originally been solicited at a cover price of $3.99.
    http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/pr...r&getYear=2015

Now, I know Dynamite does already have some titles priced at $4.99, but do you think the $4.99 price for the Miss Fury & Lady Rawhide Special will really be $4.99, or was it just a mistake?

And when do you think that Dynamite may reach a point that their typical print comic book has a regular cover price of $4.99?
    You mean THIS listing from Previewsworld?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SoS1-MF-LR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	49042

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      You mean THIS listing from Previewsworld?
      No . . . this one: Upcoming Releases For 9/2/2015

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/954

JUL151223 SWORDS OF SORROW MISS FURY LADY RAWHIDE SPEC $4.99
      NOTE: That link will probably change as of sometime on Sunday, Aug. 30th.

Comment

No . . . this one: Upcoming Releases For 9/2/2015

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/954

NOTE: That link will probably change as of sometime on Sunday, Aug. 30th.
        Well, you didn't click on the link for the item code (JUL151223) to see the product details on the comic. I would have thought if you questioned the accuracy of the listing, the product detail would have been the first go-to. Since the price shown on the cover and the product detail are both in agreement on the $3.99 price (as was the original solicitation), it's safe to say the $4.99 price in the list is a typo, obviously one that was picked up and repeated by your other source. (All other sources for product shipping listings get their information from the same place - Diamond. So if Diamond makes a mistake, the other sources won't be correcting that mistake.) If there had been a change in the product detail (price, page count, creative team, content, etc.) between the original solicitation and the time the product shipped, there would have been a note appended to Diamond's product detail listing specifying the change (sorry, I don't have an example offhand to show you, but if you look at enough of the product detail listings, you'll eventually encounter a note of that type).

A running list of product detail updates is available by clicking the link in the left-hand column (under the "Release Info" heading) Product Changes.

Also, all of the product detail listings for a particular shipping date like the link to the overall list you've shown above follow the same URL address, which is http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/954, followed by ?stockItemID= and then the item code, so if you don't have a link handy to the product detail listing for a specific item, but you DO have the item code itself from the original solicitation (like for example in the case where you're looking at a Previewsworld listing that's only partial because it's too far in advance of the actual shipping date), you just paste it on to the end of that partial URL. Note that it will work with any valid Item Code, regardless of the actual shipping date.

Those codes are available to the public once Diamond Comics publishes its printed PREVIEWS catalog, but I'm not sure what online sources are providing that key piece of information about a title when they're listing solicitations. Interestingly, full details on Marvel's product solicitations don't appear in the regular PREVIEWS catalog, but in their own separate catalog, MARVEL PREVIEWS. Marvel's Previews doesn't give out any of Diamond's Item Codes for the Marvel products it's soliciting, though. Those Diamond Item Codes can only be found on the Diamond Previews Customer Order Form (available through your LCS), or you can download it from Diamond in PDF or TXT form. Here's the link for the September 2015 Diamond Previews Customer Order Form. You'll also find an archive on that page of links to past Diamond Customer Order Forms. I hasten to add that this is only a list of the products and their item codes for the purposes of placing advance orders, not the full DIAMOND PREVIEWS catalog with graphics and descriptions.

So here's how this works. If I click on the above link for the September 2015 Diamond Previews Customer Order Form, and then on the listing for the TXT listing, I can scroll down to the listings for DE's product listed in the September PREVIEWS catalog and get the Item Code for JAMES BOND #1 CVR A REARDON (which is SEP151205). I then go to your link for PREVIEWSWORLD and in my browser's addressbar for the URL, I add ?stockItemID= to the end of the existing URL for that page and then paste the Item Code, SEP151205, on the end, so the whole URL looks like this: http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...emID=SEP151205 (you'll actually have to hover over that link to see the actual full URL, since it won't display the whole text). Then I have the current info that Diamond has available for JAMES BOND #1 CVR A REARDON. This is also handy if you're looking for cover images, as you can click on the one in the product detail listing to get a larger popup, and then right-click your mouse on that image and select "view image" to go to a REALLY big cover graphic.

If you're making lists of upcoming products you're interested in purchasing and can find that Item Code, it's a good idea to copy it down along with the title and issue #, because it represents the only way of tracking info on that product in between the time it's first solicited and when the product finally ships (and even after it ships). I can't overestimate the importance of that 9-digit Item Code to Diamond Comics' operations, because it's the product's identity to Diamond and the key to tracking every bit of information about it. I see that Comiclist calls the Item Code "Diamond ID", but since I don't use that, I don't know how far in advance they're providing that info. If Comiclist is easier for people to use, that's fine, but ultimately they're just getting the information from Diamond and formatting it in their own way.
        Last edited by pulphero; 08-28-2015, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          Well, you didn't click on the link for the item code (JUL151223) to see the product details on the comic. I would have thought if you questioned the accuracy of the listing, the product detail would have been the first go-to.
          However, the information the link goes to is much older, so that's why I'm wondering if the price was raised to $4.99 since they first solicited the book with a $3.99 cover price.

And I do realize the information could be a mistake
          But since both lists of books for the coming week had the price, it did seem curious as to whether it was a mistake or not. (And the fact that Dynamite titles in general do not seem to perform that well when it comes to orders placed with Diamond in the U.S. by comic book shops is another sign that Dynamite may need to consider a price increase at some point unless they do sufficiently better with overseas, digital, direct, and/or tpb sales.)

Comment

However, the information the link goes to is much older, so that's why I'm wondering if the price was raised to $4.99 since they first solicited the book with a $3.99 cover price.
            It's older, because there was no need to change it to update the information with new information. But trust me, when there's a need for that to happen because something really HAS changed, they will add the new information. Did you check out the section "Product Changes"? That's the kind of notes you'd find added to the original solicitation information if or when anything does change. They do not just go and arbitrarily change the price by a dollar and hope that no one will notice. Believe you me, the retailers are not going to stand for that. If they do raise the price, they will alert retailers (and anyone interested enough to check the Product Changes section) as soon as possible, and the original solicitation product information will then be modified with the updated information as soon as it's feasible to do so. I don't mean that they will just EDIT the information so you can't tell if or when it was changed. They will date the updated information to let you know it changed, and when.

And again, I can't stress this enough. Don't look to OTHER sources to confirm or deny information that you read on Diamond's website. All they can do is parrot whatever information Diamond tells them, including (as in this instance) when Diamond makes a boo-boo. Diamond is THE source from which all information flows, and they will be getting any information from the comic book publishers regarding products that Diamond will be carrying before that same information is available to retailers, consumers, or anyone else. Only look to other sources of information if it's for a product that Diamond doesn't carry, or a product that isn't a direct market product (which is mainly the non-comics product that Diamond may also carry).
            Last edited by pulphero; 08-28-2015, 11:54 AM.

Comment

pulphero, that still doesn't negate other parts of my initial post.
              . . . Now, I know Dynamite does already have some titles priced at $4.99, . . . when do you think that Dynamite may reach a point that their typical print comic book has a regular cover price of $4.99?
              They appear to have lower sales on many of their titles through Diamond to comic book shops in the U.S., so could that eventually cause them to start pricing more regular-size books at $4.99 instead of $3.99?

Comment

Working...
              X