ALIENS/VAMPIRELLA
    JAMES BOND
    Maybe THE PRECINCT

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      Originally posted by rasx View Post
      Doc Savage returns: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/...e-spiders-web/
      [ATTACH]1111[/ATTACH]
      I hope The Spider actually appears in this. Maybe that's asking for too much, but they had to know people would be wondering the minute they slapped that title on it.
      Doubt it . . . The Spider wasn't from the same publisher back in the Golden Age of pulps, was he?

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
        Doubt it . . . The Spider wasn't from the same publisher back in the Golden Age of pulps, was he?
        No, he wasn't. But that didn't prevent him from appearing in MASKS with The Shadow, either. DE crosses over properties belonging to different owners all the time; The Shadow/Green Hornet, Lone Ranger/Zorro, Django/Zorro, Grendel/The Shadow. I can't imagine why you'd think that was a huge stumbling block to The Spider appearing in a Doc Savage story. Now maybe Conde Nast/Advance Magazines might nix the idea, but there's no reason to assume they would. They had no problem doing a crossover with Batman and Doc Savage for DC, and they already allowed The Shadow to appear in a story with The Spider. I would think if they were going to nix an idea, it might be that one, because The Spider was obviously created specifically to compete with the popularity of The Shadow.

Some might say it's already been done, or at least the inspiration for it exists...

Click image for larger version

Name:	227_Doc-400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	49052

He beat Will Murray to the punch with this cover...

Click image for larger version

Name:	219_Doc-400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	49053

More fantasy Doc Savage crossovers here.
        Last edited by pulphero; 09-23-2015, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          No, he wasn't. But that didn't prevent him from appearing in MASKS with The Shadow, either. DE crosses over properties belonging to different owners all the time; The Shadow/Green Hornet, Lone Ranger/Zorro, Django/Zorro, Grendel/The Shadow. I can't imagine why you'd think that was a huge stumbling block to The Spider appearing in a Doc Savage story. Now maybe Conde Nast/Advance Magazines might nix the idea, but there's no reason to assume they would.
          But it might be that Dynamite needs specific permission each time they do those crossovers involving characters with different licenses. Just because they do publish those books from time to time may not mean that having the Spider appear in a Doc Savage comic book would automatically get a green light.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
            But it might be that Dynamite needs specific permission each time they do those crossovers involving characters with different licenses. Just because they do publish those books from time to time may not mean that having the Spider appear in a Doc Savage comic book would automatically get a green light.
            And it doesn't mean that it would automatically get a red light either, unless there was some specific reasoning involved. King Features/Hearst Entertainment seems to have proven to be somewhat more finicky about that kind of thing, but past crossovers involving Conde Nast properties seem to indicate that they're pretty flexible about it. If putting Doc Savage and Batman together in a story is no problem, and putting The Shadow together in a story with Dark Horse's Ghost is no problem, and putting The Shadow and The Green Hornet or The Shadow and Grendel or The Shadow and The Spider together in a story is no problem (and I wouldn't have been willing to bet money that Conde Nast would have let that last one happen), then why would it be a problem to put Doc Savage in a story with The Spider? How would that be different or worse in some way, or send up a red flag or set off the alarm bells? Sure they could say no, but what about mixing those two specific characters would make them want to nix the idea, when they seem open to the idea of crossovers in general? You say "I doubt it" as if, "Like that's ever going to happen, right - *pfft*."

Calling the series "The Spider's Web" seems to imply that there's a character named "The Spider" in it -- otherwise why not just call it "Web of Evil" or something. Anyone likely to read the DE series is probably aware that DE also published The Spider, and Alex Ross based the character's costume design on the outfit worn by the character in the movie serial The Spider's Web. At any rate, DE can't be unaware that people would look at the title and wonder about that. Didn't author Chris Roberson also write that other DE crossover series that had The Spider in it -- MASKS? Would he come up with a Doc Savage villain just randomly named The Spider? Maybe. Maybe not, though. And maybe, by Doc Savage's standards, Richard Wentworth IS a villain. Well, I never used the word "team-up".
            Last edited by pulphero; 09-25-2015, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X