Mirka Andolfo art is awful in #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirka Andolfo art is awful in #2

Mirka Andolfo art is TERRIBLE in Red Sonja Jungle Girl Swords #2. She draws them like Manga elves. Just crap art for a superheroine jungle comic.

The Jay Anacleto cover was great. That should be the interior artist.
    Last edited by Comic2read; 09-13-2015, 02:40 AM.
    Comic2read

not sure why this topic needed a specific issue mentioned; every single thing i've seen by andolfo looks like it was drawn by a half-blind 4 year-old. absolutely horrible.

Comment

Ohh,, I didn't think it was that bad. it was very girlie, in a faeries and sweet cupcakes sort of way. Which fits the theme of the all chicks Sword of Sorrows series.

Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
        Ohh,, I didn't think it was that bad. it was very girlie, in a faeries and sweet cupcakes sort of way. Which fits the theme of the all chicks Sword of Sorrows series.
        I really don't think that "faeries and sweet cupcakes" fits the theme of the series in any way--we're talking about Red Sonja, Dejah Thoris, and Vampirella here. Also, honestly, "chicks"?

Comment

I think it fits the theme Dynamite wants. An appeal to the young female market. Chicks.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
          I really don't think that "faeries and sweet cupcakes" fits the theme of the series in any way--we're talking about Red Sonja, Dejah Thoris, and Vampirella here. Also, honestly, "chicks"?

Comment

*facepalm*

Comment

I think it's more aimed at those who don't want to read about heroines who have everything. The Redesign has the goal of taking them down a notch. I won't buy these new PC versions.
              Comic2read

Comment

Originally posted by Comic2read View Post
                I think it's more aimed at those who don't want to read about heroines who have everything.
                I genuinely don't know what this means. You mean like rich people? "For the heroine who has everything... get her this diamond-encrusted golden sword, from Jared, the Galleria of Weaponry."

Comment

looks like someone didn't like the truth

Comment

No, I just don't understand what "have everything" means in this context.

Comment

s'okay, that wasn't directed at you. i don;t understand the comment either, by the way. as far as i can tell the redesign served no purpose but to make the characters (that i'm familiar with anyways) horrible parodies of themselves.

Comment

It wasn't much of a story anyway. Most of the Swords of Sorrow stuff was mediocre. As to the art, I think it was intentionally supposed to be girlie (which is not a derogatory term) . Perhaps DE are getting ready for a series aimed at pre teen girls.

Ralph

Originally posted by Scarlette View Post
                        s'okay, that wasn't directed at you. i don;t understand the comment either, by the way. as far as i can tell the redesign served no purpose but to make the characters (that i'm familiar with anyways) horrible parodies of themselves.

Comment

[SIZE=3]What I meant by have everything is there is probably resentment that superheroines have great beauty so now it's being toned down.

I'm sure there's a demand for this new genre that I call "Selma Plout Comics" based on the nagging hypocritical prude from Petticoat Junction. But I have no interest reading this new change. The iconic look is better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BevHil18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	49057
                          Last edited by Comic2read; 10-07-2015, 06:35 PM.
                          Comic2read

Comment

I'm just going to say... if the idea that adult female characters have to be cheesecakey to be interesting is central, then something's clearly wrong.

Cheesecake, and beefcake, are fine in themselves, but I notice that no one's talking about the description of the stories at all--just the costume designs we're seeing here--as if somehow that destroys the characters.

I find this sad, and a tad disturbing.

I'm gay and I love beefcake. I love it! It's awesome! And it's also artistically beautiful as well as hot! But I hope I never lose sight of the idea that the stories and characters matter too. How about seeing if the stories are actually good before dismissing them because of one round of costume redesigns?

Comment

this is one of the major issues. people are only talking about the costumes because (imo) everything else (i'm talking SoS and the "chaos" stuff) is godawful. the chaos characters always touted cheesecake and sexuality, but they generally had the artists and the stories to back it up. everything from dynamite so far has been unutterably horrible. the plotting and writing on the chaos stuff was like comedy rather than horror; it was so bad you just laughed at the sheer stupidity of the writing; same goes for the purgatori series. the art in both of those wasn't "girlie" at all, it was just awful. i've seen better stuff magnetted to fridges and the fact dynamite actually pays for this just bewilders me. i can do awful art too, any chance they'll hire me?
                              when it comes to SoS, aside from them again rewriting the characters (making purgatori more straight than lesbian, eg) it just shows arrogance or laziness from the writer(s); either they think they have the right to write what they want and screw what the fans want/like, or they just can't be bothered to do a decent job for their wages and don't get off their lazy a$$es to do a bit research in who they're writing. Added to that is the problem i've been saying from the start - mash-ups are generally a pointless exercise only good for sales-boosting, and mash-ups with this amount of characters from radically differing timelines/universes just smacks of desperation. dynamite were obviously hoping it would be something phenomenal that would make headlines around the comics world, but unfortunately they hired some of the worst artists going, some of the worst/laziest writers, and didn't bother to do the slightest bit of quality control or vetting of the scripts/ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X