Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dejah/Sonja/Vampi: Why not try them first?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dejah/Sonja/Vampi: Why not try them first?

In all seriousness, can I just ask: Why not give at least the first issues of the upcoming Dejah Thoris, Red Sonja, and Vampirella a try and see if you like them before assuming they will be bad? I wound up disliking DC's New 52 as a whole very much, and I eagerly await its next reboot, but at least I tried the books before deciding that.

G'day,

Did that with Swords of Sorrow. That was mostly crap and mediocre stories (with the exception of Nancy Collins's series) The marketing on the new series tells me don't bother so I won't.

Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
      G'day,

Did that with Swords of Sorrow. That was mostly crap and mediocre stories (with the exception of Nancy Collins's series) The marketing on the new series tells me don't bother so I won't.

Ralph
      Same here. Red Sonja/Jungle Girl did nothing to make me look forward to a Red Sonja series. What information there is on the others simply does not entice in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
        Red Sonja/Jungle Girl did nothing to make me look forward to a Red Sonja series. What information there is on the others simply does not entice in any way.
        You can't try everything to see if you like it, so that's what you have to go by. Past experience of the creators' work (if any), plus whether or not it sounds interesting to you. If it doesn't, then it probably isn't.
        Besides which, most DE titles are 'fringe titles' now at comic shops. If you didn't make a commitment in advance to pre-order the book, there's no guarantee you'll even see a copy, depending on when you happen to arrive at the comic shop. If you happened to see a preview online and then changed your mind the day before it went on sale, you may or may not be able to get a re-order of the comic, depending on various factors. That might even be true of various low-end Marvel and DC titles.
        Last edited by pulphero; 11-08-2015, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Swords of Sorrow [...] was mostly crap and mediocre stories (with the exception of Nancy Collins's series)
          I don't know anything about Jennifer Blood. Was S0S: Vampirella & Jennifer Blood any good, or even comprehensible as a story for someone who hasn't read either JB or SoS? Would it be worth picking up as a trade paperback (not that I'm sure that they'll do one; I think I saw a solicitation for a huge omnibus of SoS that had everything, main series+all spinoffs). Or is this more of a 'if you happen to see it in the bargain bin' kind of things?
          Last edited by pulphero; 11-08-2015, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
            In all seriousness, can I just ask: Why not give at least the first issues of the upcoming Dejah Thoris, Red Sonja, and Vampirella a try and see if you like them before assuming they will be bad?
            Well, I'm not "assuming they will be bad", but I didn't really have any interest in Dejah Thoris or Vampirella in the first place. (And the new costume design for Vampirella looks laughable! One can only pray it won't look so stupid in the actual comic book stories.) As for Red Sonja, she's been a very hit-or-miss character for me, so if I buy her at all it's probably in tpb collections when I'm in the mood.

Now, if they launched a new Masquerade or Miss Fury series, . . .

Comment

G'day,

Didn't know who Jennifer Blood was until I read Nancy's take but has no problem following the story. I thought the little series with Vampi was good.

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              I don't know anything about Jennifer Blood. Was S0S: Vampirella & Jennifer Blood any good, or even comprehensible as a story for someone who hasn't read either JB or SoS? Would it be worth picking up as a trade paperback (not that I'm sure that they'll do one; I think I saw a solicitation for a huge omnibus of SoS that had everything, main series+all spinoffs). Or is this more of a 'if you happen to see it in the bargain bin' kind of things?

Comment

Okay, I don't mean the people who aren't normally into the characters, I mean the people who have been fans of theirs and have been saying that the new costume designs utterly destroy all that is good in the characters, or that they signify some sort of shift in the way they'll be written, etc.

Comment

G'day,

Didn't know who Jennifer Blood was until I read Nancy's take but has no problem following the story. I thought the little series with Vampi was good.

Ralph
                  Thanks Ralph. I'll look into this.

Comment

I will be buying the Sonja titles, I dont hold any hope of them being any good, and it has nothing to do with her clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
                      I will be buying the Sonja titles, I dont hold any hope of them being any good, and it has nothing to do with her clothing.
                      Um... if you don't think they will be good, do you mean you'll be buying them to see how they are, or just buying them whether you like them or not?

Comment

Definitely gonna be getting the new sonja book but I'm more excited to see the new vampirella comic !!!!!!
                        Last edited by MandyO; 11-11-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                          Um... if you don't think they will be good, do you mean you'll be buying them to see how they are, or just buying them whether you like them or not?
                          Im attempting to complete a full Sonja run. And as a fan that means you stick with it during the bad times as well as the good.

Plus I might be surprised .

Comment

I can't wait 4 the new sonja book! !!! Plus her new costume reminds me of the original designed by Barry Windsor-Smith!!!!!!

Comment

Trautman had already done a redesign of her original look back in the first series. This isn't the first time a writer tried getting away from the bikini. Just like prior writer Brian Reed had done away with the rape backstory and had Sonja as a happily married woman to start so she had a sex life. Simone really didn't come up with anything new except for having Sonja be repeatedly beaten and saved by guest characters. That and getting drunk like someone suffering DTs and buying time on sex slaves, that's what Simone did that was new.

Comment

Working...
                              X