Tales From The Crypt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales From The Crypt

Should Dynamite obtain the rights to the EC Horror series TALES FROM THE CRYPT?

Your thoughts on this, please.

I don't honestly see a desperate need for Dynamite to get the rights to what is largely a name and a host for an anthology; since Dynamite does have Vampirella right now, she could act as the host for a Vampi's Feary Tales book or such, and do largely the same thing.

Comment

Given they were another of my favourites, i pray dynamite don't, as they'd no doubt run them into the ground like they did with Chaos. we'd probably end up with "grumpy cat vs tales from the crypt" or some similar excrement.

Comment

A company called Papercutz has the license to do new Tales From the Crypt comics. So far they've done 9 of them, in a small trade paperback format.

http://papercutz.com/kids-comics-gra...from-the-crypt

Comment

Well, I doubt Papercutz is doing much with the property these days.

Comment

better nothing gets done, than someone ruining it.

Comment

That may be, but are you telling me that Dynamite wouldn't make a mature take compared to the childishness that was the Papercutz version?

Comment

given their deplorable take on the mature chaos stable, and their obvious obsession with doing dross like grumpy cat and some of the most ridiculuous cross-overs in comics history, yes. i have no experience of papercutz but i find it hard to believe anything could me more childish or nauseating than dynamite's chaos/purgatori/vs Alice Cooper drek.

Comment

I have to ask, Scarlette, is there anything at all put out by Dynamite that you do like, or do you just come here to talk about how much you don't like anything Dynamite publishes?

Comment

Originally posted by RodG View Post
                    That may be, but are you telling me that Dynamite wouldn't make a mature take compared to the childishness that was the Papercutz version?
                    There is a middle ground between those two extremes that the original EC horror comics occupied. They are neither "childish" in the sense of "approved for all ages", nor are they "Mature Readers" in the sense of a Vertigo or Marvel MAX title (apart from any considerations of language or sex). They are, frankly, adolescent -- although done with a certain flair and panache, with tongue in cheek. And I don't imply there's anything wrong with that... but it is not the kind of "mature" horror comics that are marketed to the mainstream comic book audience of today. If you can't imitate that original tone exactly, with the gruesome tongue-in-cheek black humor and bad puns, then you shouldn't license the titles and change them into what passes muster with a modern horror audience. [Oddly enough, in what now seems like a perfect prototype for the later EC comic The Haunt of Fear, MLJ (Archie Comics) published the feature "The Witch's Cauldron" beginning in Blue Ribbon Comics #20 (January 1942); and although Blue Ribbon was soon cancelled, the same feature was immediately resurrected under the title "Stories of the Black Witch" to run in Zip Comics. Alas, the comic book readers of America were not yet ready for a cackling old hag who took seeming delight in the misfortunes visited upon the subjects of her tales, and the series ended in the February 1943 issue of Zip, after a mere 8 episodes.]

In a somewhat amazing and statistically against the odds example of comic-to-filmic adaptations, nearly all of the EC horror adaptations seemed to recognize this knowingly playful sense of adolescent immaturity (which is actually a throwback to an earlier style of horror, that of radio drama anthology series like Inner Sanctum, The Witch's Tale, and Lights Out -- EC merely racheted up the level of black humor and bad puns, which would later serve as a blueprint for late-night TV Shock Theater and Creature Feature hosts). That would be true of veteran Hammer Films director Freddie Francis' (The Evil of Frankenstein, Dracula Has Risen From the Grave) 1972 Amicus Productions film Tales From the Crypt; fellow Hammer alumnus Roy Ward Baker's (The Vampire Lovers, Scars of Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde) direction of the 1973 Amicus Vault of Horror; writer Steven King and director George Romero's 1982 homage Creepshow; and HBO's long-running (1989-96) teleseries Tales From the Crypt, co-produced by Richard Donner, David Giler, Walter Hill, Joel Silver, and Robert Zemeckis -- at least on average, judging by the better episodes I can recall. The early seasons, at least, seemed to have nailed the tone pretty closely. I've never seen either of the movie spinoffs of that series, Demon Knight (1995) or Bordello of Blood (1996), so I couldn't judge.

So if DE's willing to tap that 'humor in a jugular vein', then sure, provided they hire writers and artists of no mean talent. If, on the other hand, what they want is a 'pre-sold audience' brand name that they can then make to fit the existing marketplace audience for comic book horror -- pass.
                    Last edited by pulphero; 11-29-2015, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                      I have to ask, Scarlette, is there anything at all put out by Dynamite that you do like, or do you just come here to talk about how much you don't like anything Dynamite publishes?
                      when did i say i don't like anything form Dynamite?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlette View Post
                        when did i say i don't like anything form Dynamite?
                        Well, what do you like, then?

Comment

artwise, lots of stuff, like Dresden, AoD, Shadow etc. Storywise, less so. Like i said, this stuff just pushes my buttons because of how much a fan i am of the proper/original characters.

Comment

Ah, for me, the art is usually secondary to the story.

Comment

for me the art is primary. if i was more interested in words i'd just read books. great writing can carry mediocre art, but crappy art takes me out of the story. great art, i can buy just to look at, and have no interest in the stories themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X