Artist Michelle Nguyen discusses the new Grumpy Cat & Pokey #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artist Michelle Nguyen discusses the new Grumpy Cat & Pokey #2

Michelle Nguyen discusses the new Grumpy Cat & Pokey #2, on sale in March from Dynamite!

BYRON BREWER: Michelle, tell us a little about how you became involved in comic book art.

MICHELLE NGUYEN: My relationship with comics began at a young age, when my mom and my older brothers would take me to comic shops and buy me issues. I started my first panel-comic in fifth grade, and have been drawing them ever since. The stories in The Misadventures of Grumpy Cat are my first official published comics.

BB: So what did you think about doing a Grumpy Cat story?

MN: It was such an exciting prospect, I couldn’t believe that I had a chance to work on a comic featuring my favorite misanthropic feline! When Rich [Young, editor] told me I would be illustrating stories in each of the first three issues, I was over the moon. It has been a wild and crazy ride, and I am always amazed at how much fun I have with their adventures!

BB: In your story, “Pokey’s First Crush,” you get to concentrate on that character. In your mind, as characters what separates Pokey from Grumpy Cat aside from the obvious?

MN: Pokey is a goofy, loving, often silly, and sometimes a not-so-bright character. He is the perfect contrast against Grumpy’s perpetual bad attitude, and is constantly looking at the bright side. Working on “Pokey’s First Crush” has been a real treat, as I get to see him explore the ups and downs of falling for someone for the first time.

BB: Have you worked with any comic books or strips similar in nature to Grumpy Cat?

MN: Nope, no comic books or strips revolving around cats. However, I think I’m hooked now -- it feels almost unnatural to draw anything but these awesome little cats!

BB: How was it working with Royal McGraw?

MN: Royal is such a great writer, and really makes sure that I understand what the characters are feeling panel by panel. Having a first crush is exciting, exhausting and confusing, and Royal conveyed those emotions perfectly for poor Pokey. He also wrote a lot of Grumpy’s feelings into the script -- though she is very good at hiding her caring side, she obviously cares for her brother and will help him however she can.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GrumpyCatMarch02CovAUy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	49695
Working...
X