Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamite solicits for June 2016

http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/?p=196975

Nice to see the Shadow still getting some attention, since it was looking a little slim there for a while.

Never particularly nice to see Kevin Smith.

Comment

Getting Lords of the jungle, kings quest, Gold key alliance and James Bond volume 1 tpb.

Comment

As usual I'll pick up Red Sonja, then scream in rage at how garbage it is and tear my eyes out from the terrible artwork.

Comment

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
          As usual I'll pick up Red Sonja, then scream in rage at how garbage it is and tear my eyes out from the terrible artwork.
          Lol...Well as long as you have something to look forward to...

I recall that you weren't particularly optimistic, but I was kind of hoping that you would be pleasantly surprised or at least have expectations so low that they are easily surpassed. But no?

I don't follow the character closely, I usually just pick up an issue here and there during Comixology sales. What's the issue(s)? I saw some of the preview art and it seemed good, though I did find that Sonja looked like she got younger, as though she went through the New 52 process.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
            Lol...Well as long as you have something to look forward to...

I recall that you weren't particularly optimistic, but I was kind of hoping that you would be pleasantly surprised or at least have expectations so low that they are easily surpassed. But no?

I don't follow the character closely, I usually just pick up an issue here and there during Comixology sales. What's the issue(s)? I saw some of the preview art and it seemed good, though I did find that Sonja looked like she got younger, as though she went through the New 52 process.

Essentially we have Horny Sandra running around sullying Sonja's name. She is offered the crown of her homeland in the first issue (her homeland is supposed to be nomadic mongol like tribe lands, not a game of thrones style kingdom, good research there Dynamite), she then leaves to go adventuring and leaves behind a string of jilted lovers (urggggggh arrrgh!). She returns home to find everything is fine, so fine she has nothing to do...until she discovers the new king is planning a war with all the neighbour kingdoms....on top of that, the king is one of her jilted lovers, who wants to own her...going so far to create a trio of fake Red Sonja's....

So basically we have a rehash of Sword of Sorrows which was pure tripe to begin with, a lack of research on the world they are writing, and as for the art, half way through the issues it's like the artist just gives up....they even have a cowboy show up in the first page of the 2nd issue.

Comment

Essentially we have Horny Sandra running around sullying Sonja's name. She is offered the crown of her homeland in the first issue (her homeland is supposed to be nomadic mongol like tribe lands, not a game of thrones style kingdom, good research there Dynamite), she then leaves to go adventuring and leaves behind a string of jilted lovers (urggggggh arrrgh!). She returns home to find everything is fine, so fine she has nothing to do...until she discovers the new king is planning a war with all the neighbour kingdoms....on top of that, the king is one of her jilted lovers, who wants to own her...going so far to create a trio of fake Red Sonja's....

So basically we have a rehash of Sword of Sorrows which was pure tripe to begin with, a lack of research on the world they are writing, and as for the art, half way through the issues it's like the artist just gives up....they even have a cowboy show up in the first page of the 2nd issue.
              Ugh. All right. As issues go, those are pretty big. If I hadn't asked the question myself, I wouldn't even know who you're talking about. Kind of sad, though I had to laugh at the cowboy thing.

The comparison to Swords of Sorrows doesn't help its case. I'm about halfway through and I can't stand most of the material that came out of that. Which is too bad because I was really looking forward to seeing some of the characters again (Masquerade, Kato, among others). But I don't know if I'll even finish it. I'm just not enjoying it.

It's too bad Dynamite sees fit to reinvent the wheel with so many of their characters. I defended them when they did it with The Green Hornet because at least for a while they offered a more traditional version. I try to be open-minded to it, but they just stray too far on occasion.

Comment

That's a good summary. On the surface the story is a strawman about totalitarian states. The trouble is, nothing this guy is doing is unusual for the Hyborian world as far as raising armies and conquering people goes. Giving the people better homes, schools, theaters, safe roads and richer trade (not kidding, that's book one) Sonja has a problem with him raising armies and turning the rest of the Hyborian world into this? Bennett has no knowledge of the Hyborian world by a long shot if she thinks a king doing all that is a problem. His motive, though, is just like Mightyflip said, straight out Swords Of Sorrow villain and motive, rival women's teams fighting the works. This is a sad little effort. The less said about the art the better. Aneke does very little background detail and often does without it altogether. The way she has characters use tools and weapons is often laughable. For all the hoopla Dynamite made about relaunching Sonja this is a pretty amateurish product. It doesn't make me want to look at Dejah Thoris or Vampirella if Red Sonja is anything to go by.

Comment

Its only Lords of the Jungle, James Bond and Nancy's Army of Darkness for me. I'm interested in the new Shadow series but its something that will probably read better in the collected tpb form. That Control book interests me but not sure. I loved Kings Watch but the fake Phantom in Kings Quests puts me off.

Ralph

Comment

Good month if you're a Shadow fan.

SHADOW: THE DEATH OF MARGO LANE #1 (OF 6) - Loved both THE SHADOW YEAR ONE and GRENDEL VS THE SHADOW, so I'm totally looking forward to this. Interesting concept too, if it's the real deal.
                    THE TWILIGHT ZONE: THE SHADOW #3 (OF 4) - I can't wait for this to come out. The Shadow discovers he's only a fictional creation, and has to rewrite his life? Bizarre!
                    THE SHADOW: THE LAST ILLUSION Trade Paperback - Missed this series after the first issue came out, so I'll be reading it in its entirety now.
                    DAWN / VAMPIRELLA Hardcover - Loved it, one of the best Vampirella miniseries!
                    LORDS OF THE JUNGLE #4 (OF 6) - Bit of a disappointment when I read the first issue and discovered that this is the modern rebooted Sheena, but what the hell, I guess I'll ride it out to the conclusion.
                    WILL EISNER’S THE SPIRIT #12 - Just loving everything Matt Wagner writes for DE, and this is no exception.

I'll wait for the TPB on King's Quest. I think I've pretty much lost any interest in Miss Fury at this point, unless they get better writers and artists on the character. That goes double for the Gold Key characters.
                    Kevin Smith's YOGA HOSERS... $10 for a 20-page comic? Can that be right??
                    Last edited by pulphero; 04-03-2016, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                      WILL EISNERíS THE SPIRIT #12 - Just loving everything Matt Wagner writes for DE, and this is no exception.
                      Happened to read the first issue recently and it's a blast. Wagner's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                        I think I've pretty much lost any interest in Miss Fury at this point, unless they get better writers and artists on the character.
                        Just read issue one. It's OK. Interesting parts to the story but it feels like any number of characters could have fit in Miss Fury's spot. I doubt it would restore your interest in the character.

It's early, of course. But I didn't find it to be a particularly compelling start.

Comment

Working...
                        X