Warren Ellis talks James Bond #9, on sale now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Ellis talks James Bond #9, on sale now

Warren Ellis talks James Bond #9, on sale now from Dynamite.

BYRON BREWER: Warren, when you started your second arc of this book with “EIDOLON,” I thought the feel would be the same since it is indeed Ian Fleming’s Bond you are bringing us. But the pace and pulse of this adventure are totally different from “VARGR.” Was this something you strived to do intentionally as a writer, or is it just how this arc is unfolding?

WARREN ELLIS: Yes, I wanted this one to have a different pace. They're two different books, they should have two different feels. Fleming changed his approaches to Bond novels from book to book, after all.

BB: I have been flabbergasted on the quality of story and art this book has been able to maintain, with you and artist Jason Masters working almost seamlessly in cinematic excellence of execution. How closely do you two communicate when concocting a story issue-by-issue?

WE: We keep in pretty close touch, but, honestly, Jason is a magnificent storyteller, and I've learned to just stay out of his way and let him work his magic. I just try to provide the most interesting locations for him.

BB: Anything you can hint at about the secret base Bond is heading to in #9 without spoilers? Always pleasant for me as a reader when Bond elements tie back to the Cold War.

WE: I don't know what I can do without spoilers here. I was told about the Auxiliary Fleet some years ago, by someone who's now planning the end of humanity as a roving director for Google, and I remained fascinated by the idea of a fleet of steam trains buried under a hill in the middle of England.

BB: As a fan of the original novels and novellas, I appreciate how you have been staying focused and faithful in regard to producing a Fleming-like experience. But it would be a blast to see an Ellis/Masters Blofeld … and an E/M Goldfinger! No chance of anything similar, I guess?

WE: Well, no -- EIDOLON is my final Bond book. We'll have to wait and see what the next writers and artists bring to the series. I'm curious myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JamesBond09CovAReardon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	50091Click image for larger version

Name:	Bond0091.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	50092Click image for larger version

Name:	Bond0092.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	50093Click image for larger version

Name:	Bond0093.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	50094Click image for larger version

Name:	Bond0094.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	50095

G'day,

Anybody else really enjoying EIDOLON,? I think its a lot better then VARGR. But what happened to the ending of issue 9? It just came to a stop then they added a few pages of Hammerhead !

Comment

I might have been interested in a Bond comic if it were a period piece, set in the 1950s or 1960s, the time period when Fleming was actually writing the stories. A present day Bond, not so much.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

G'day,

Yeah but the character has been constantly updated through the movies so don't mind that to much. Although I would be happy to see a cold war 1960's series and still think an older , 1970's Bond teaming up with the the Bionic Woman would be a hoot.

Ralph

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        I might have been interested in a Bond comic if it were a period piece, set in the 1950s or 1960s, the time period when Fleming was actually writing the stories. A present day Bond, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
          Yeah but the character has been constantly updated through the movies so don't mind that to much. Although I would be happy to see a cold war 1960's series and still think an older , 1970's Bond teaming up with the the Bionic Woman would be a hoot.
          I guess my counter-argument would be that this is supposed to be Ian Fleming's James Bond, not the movie James Bond. To be honest, when they first announced it I was fully looking forward to actual graphic adaptations of the stories just as Fleming wrote them, although if they wanted to space those out with interstitial original stories set in Fleming's continuity for the character that would be okay too. Of course, given that DE has gone every which way with character licenses that they've acquired, it's never too late for that, so maybe we'll see it happen yet at some point down the road. If they wanted to do a modern James Bond story, they should just have done the current movie version, IMO. I have a hard time buying the idea that it's actually "Ian Fleming's James Bond" if the stories are set in the present, because Fleming's Bond, as a character, was definitely a product of his times, the Cold War Era.
          Last edited by positronic; 09-11-2016, 06:36 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
          X