Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PAUL CORNELL talks VAMPIRELLA #0, out February – AND PRICED AT 25 CENTS!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    Personally, I'm glad he refused to. I wish it had just been put down as a difference of opinion and left at that though. To say you'll never work with someone ever again over this is a little over the top.
    Before the internet, that would have been a very doable approach. It's quite valid for Broxton to refuse. I expect there was no thought of offending anyone in the work. The cover would have been standard Pulp Men's Adventure stuff of the 60s and earlier which was the point of the thing. He's being expected to apologize for being transphobic when he was most likely just not thinking about it and insensitive. Clearly, Dynamite was fine with it since editorial would have seen the product before it was put out for display online so they're just cowering from the SM heat and ready to throw someone under the bus than stand by their artist. It's a dubious bargain since there is no bargaining with the outrage machine SM can be and all the more so since there is no knowing the effect on sales or whether those screaming so loud are buying the product to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
      Before the internet, that would have been a very doable approach. It's quite valid for Broxton to refuse. I expect there was no thought of offending anyone in the work. The cover would have been standard Pulp Men's Adventure stuff of the 60s and earlier which was the point of the thing. He's being expected to apologize for being transphobic when he was most likely just not thinking about it and insensitive. Clearly, Dynamite was fine with it since editorial would have seen the product before it was put out for display online so they're just cowering from the SM heat and ready to throw someone under the bus than stand by their artist. It's a dubious bargain since there is no bargaining with the outrage machine SM can be and all the more so since there is no knowing the effect on sales or whether those screaming so loud are buying the product to begin with.
      That's it. There's a mentality now, from some, that they're going to tell you what you were thinking then tell you you were wrong to think it. I think that's why Braxton got his back up. Basically he was insulted. But nowadays, you can't assume everyone will bother to apply context.

I took advantage of Dynamite Comixology sale a few days to buy a few more early issues of the early John Carter material. Reading the first few again to refresh my memory, I saw one character makes reference to "redskins". I'm surprised that didn't cause a bit of a stink, but then it would require some of these people to actually get past the cover.

Comment

I'm sure Byron will have the entire interview few shortly but I loved this answer by Bill Willingham about Greatest Adventure and find it fits in nicely with past discussion about nostalgia, etc.

how would you describe the series to someone who has never read and Burroughs or seen any of the Tarzan, John Carter or other adaptations of his work?

Bill: In many ways this might be better if you come in knowing nothing of the characters, because then the films (and other adaptations) haven’t contaminated you with their much-altered versions of the characters. I may not be able to portray the pure ERB version of each character in this series (I’m as flawed as any human), but I can promise they’ll be handled with respect.

As for the story: It’s old fashioned adventure when adventure was still in fashion. Heroes were still heroic and damsel wasn’t a dirty word – and was in fact used to describe admirable women of iron and grit. If that sounds like it might be your cup of tea, then I enthusiastically invite you to give The Greatest Adventure a try.
        Hell, I just might just to support that mindset.

Comment

Well, this one appears to be going beyond the 6th issue.

VAMPIRELLA #6
          Cover A: Philip Tan Cover B: Vanesa Del Rey Cover C: Cosplay Cover Cover D Subscription: Jimmy Broxton Writer: Paul Cornell Art: Andy Belanger

Gothic, Part 1: A new storyline begins! Vampirella is fresh off a mind-blowing discovery—or at least it should have been. Coming to terms with what she’s learned about herself and her past means a journey to a place far scarier than the twisted future she’s living in…her twisted mind! Prepare yourself for a Vampirella like you’ve NEVER seen before!

Comment

Working...
          X