Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KIERON GILLEN talks JAMES BOND: SERVICE Special, on sale in MAY!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KIERON GILLEN talks JAMES BOND: SERVICE Special, on sale in MAY!

KIERON GILLEN talks JAMES BOND: SERVICE Special, on sale in MAY from Dynamite!

BYRON BREWER: Kieron, what does it mean for you to write an iconic character like James Bond?

KIERON GILLEN: He's the sort of character that you're amazed that anyone gets to write. He's been there, ever present, for my whole life and beyond. It's like getting to write the sun rising.

BB: Since Dynamite secured the license for 007, we have seen many takes on the super-spy. Give us your summation of Bond as a character … or rather, a description of the Bond we will be seeing from you in the “Service” special.

KG: The walking, talking, shooting embodiment of British realpolitik.

BB: Tell us a little about the world you will be creating here in Bond. From its sound, it could be ripped from today’s headlines.

KG: If you find yourself writing a British icon in the year of the biggest political and social upheaval of my lifetime, the real world has a tendency to creep in.

BB: Apparently Britain will be a large part of your story. Did you do any particular research to make Britain a living, breathing character of its own for this story?

KG: I like to think my 41 years living in Blighty has all been so I can write this one-off James Bond story accurately.

I did some of my usual reading around – I had the broad theme, in terms of Britain's place in the world after the fall of Empire and recent politics – which led back to me looking at the early days of MI6 and the history there. The final points clicked into place as I was walking around the Imperial War Museum in London, specifically its spycraft exhibition. Inevitably, it turns up as a setting in the book. Bond doing Bond-y things in interesting locations is such a key part of a story, and a literal museum of British history struck me as striking.

BB: Can you tell us anything about the big-bad Bond will be facing and his or her motivations for seeking to exterminate the “special relationship” between England and the U.S.?

KG: I'll go as far as saying “man with training, a grudge and a somewhat skewed understanding of history”. As a self-contained story, this is enclosed and intense. It's not Blofeld in a secret base. It's a man operating out of abandoned WW2-era bunkers, with period weaponry. It very much has its own vibe.

BB: Will we see any familiar Bond characters in the special?

KG: Oh yes. If you're dancing with an icon in a one-off, you want to write as many of the core characters as you can. You want to write your take on that classic sort of scene. There was no way I was going to write this without trying to squeeze a Moneypenny scene in, for example.

BB: How does it feel to be teaming with Antonio Fuso? What does this artist bring to the table for 007?

KG: Antonio is great. It's a book which uses a lot of history, but Antonio has the hyper-realistic modern style which grounds things in the modern world. Having a more traditional artist would’ve added nostalgia to the book, and made it look more like a Boys Own adventure. This isn't a nostalgic book in any way and Antonio makes everything feel as modern as tomorrow's trending topics on Twitter.

http://dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewPr...RO=C1524104078
Working...
X