Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ERIK BURNHAM talks RED SONJA: LONG WALK TO OBLIVION one-shot, on sale in MAY!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ERIK BURNHAM talks RED SONJA: LONG WALK TO OBLIVION one-shot, on sale in MAY!

ERIK BURNHAM talks RED SONJA: LONG WALK TO OBLIVION one-shot, on sale in MAY from Dynamite!

BYRON BREWER: Erik, how does it feel to be handling a character with an iconic history like Red Sonja?

ERIC BURNHAM: Itís always a bit of an honor to be asked to add to the life of a character thatís been running around for decades. More than that, itís fun, and I had a blast playing in this sandbox.

BB: Red Sonja has had a lot of iterations since popping into comics over at Marvel. Tell us a little bit about your take on the She-Devil with a Sword. Who is she to you, and what part of writer Erik Burnham is reflected in Sonja in ďLong Walk to OblivionĒ?

EB: Terse. Daring. Dangerous. Ready to fight, and ready to win. Thatís the kind of thing I was keeping in mind while I was working on this story. Sonjaís an adventurer running around in a world full of adventure, and sheís great at what she does. I think thatís been consistent across the board.

I wrote her with the level of attitude and swagger that a person like that deserves to have -- and I hope I brought a little of my own sense of humor to the works. Donít get me wrong -- Sonjaís not cracking jokes left and right as if this was a comedy -- but thereís a couple of places where I hope the readers are moved to chuckle.

BB: Does your story have any ties to the current volume of Red Sonja being written by Amy Chu?

EB: And how! The end of this book dovetails and dances around the beginning of her run (including parts of scenes from issues #0 and #1!)

BB: What else can you tell us about the storyline? What challenges is Sonja facing in this adventure?

EB: The storyline is pretty simple -- Sonja needs to get to precisely where the audience met up with her in #0ís opening scene, which was fighting a demon in the land of Meru! Sonjaís biggest challenge isnít even that demon -- itís getting to Meru before the demon flattens the seven city-states that make up the nation.

Playing beat the clock is always a good challenge to throw at a character, and I think the solution Sonja finds is a fun one.

BB: Any interesting new characters for which we should be on the lookout?

EB: Nobody likely to pop back up anytime soon, what with the trip Sonja takes in #0! But I did bring in some Meruvians -- a magic-wielding priestly order whose High Priest has cut a deal with Kulan GathÖ and Ram, the Meruvian sent to find, hire, and deliver Red Sonja to Meru. Heís an honest fella, he really believes that heís simply bringing Sonja in to deal with a demon.

Maybe Ram (or the priestly order) will find themselves useful in a future story set in Hyboria, but for now, theyíre just there to support our stars.

BB: I hear Kulan Gath is the big-bad, or at least involved in this story? What makes him such an interesting foe for our heroine?

EB: Sonja solves many of her problems with a sword. Kulan GathÖ is not the kind of problem that can be fully solved with a sword, and that makes him trouble.

On the flip side, Sonja has killed Gath more than once -- though he keeps getting better -- and he is really starting to take it kind of personally.

Sonjaís a thorn in his side, and thatís why he decided to lure her to Meru instead of just waiting to cross paths again.

Since itís a place of power, he hopes to tap into some of the magic of the area and strengthen himself. (Naturally, all of those folks reading Red Sonjaís ongoing know that that plan didnít quite work out the way he hoped!)

BB: How was it working with artist Tom Mandrake?

EB: Funny you should ask -- this whole project came together so fast, I wasnít sure who Iíd be working with until I was a good chunk of the way into the script. Fortunately, this also meant I didnít have the time to get nervous when I was told who was gonna be rendering things.

Editor Anthony Marques just shared Tomís pencils with me this week, and wow. Just wow. I can only hope Tom had a tenth of the fun drawing these pages as people are going to have looking at them.

Bottom line: Iím thrilled and keenly aware of how fortunate I am to have such an illustrative sorcerer joining me on this book.

BB: Erik, are there any other projects current or near-future youíll be working on that you can tell us about?

EB: For sure! This very same month of May thereís a KISS one-shot (four separate stories, four separate time periods, and a couple of fun pastiches) by myself and Daniel HDR, also from Dynamite. And the collected edition to the KISS prequel miniseries THE DEMON that I pitched in on with series writer Amy Chu and Eman Casallos should be coming down the pike here pretty soon as well.

Thereís also Ghostbusters 101 from IDW, a miniseries crossing over the original Ghostbusters with the ladies from the recent Ghostbusters: Answer the Call movie. Light comedy and mayhem from me, Dan Schoening and Luis Delgado, the regular Ghostbusters team.

An embarrassment of riches, really, Iím so lucky to be on so many fun projects at once, and believe me, I know it!

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/v...13025839701011

This sounds like it will be fun. It would be nice to see the return of the occasional one shot by other folks than the current writer. The last few years got too tied down to Simone's ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
      This sounds like it will be fun. It would be nice to see the return of the occasional one shot by other folks than the current writer. The last few years got too tied down to Simone's ideas.
      And FINALLY they bring back Kulan Gath!

It does seem fun though, seriously, and at least she's in more natural environment for the character. So maybe the ending sucks a bit because we know where she ends up but the lead-up to it sounds cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post

It does seem fun though, seriously, and at least she's in more natural environment for the character. So maybe the ending sucks a bit because we know where she ends up but the lead-up to it sounds cool.
        x2 The NY idea is fun for an arc, but I want the Hyborian setting for Sonja. Hopefully, this modern take is only one arc.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X