Full June Solicitations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full June Solicitations

Adding Mighty Mouse and some Game Of Thrones.

http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/dynam...solicitations/

I'm looking forward to Mighty Mouse, especially now that I know that Sholly Fisch is the writer. His SCOOBY DOO TEAM-UP is one of the handful of DC titles I really look forward to reading every month. He's a funny guy, and "my kind of people" to judge from the kind of retro-continuity in-jokes and easter eggs he tries to work into all of those stories. I don't really find that in the regular ongoing Scooby Doo title, which I tried reading a few issues of. It's okay, but didn't really hold my interest the way the Team-Up title does. Part of that I admit is due to the guest-stars in every issue, but I doubt I'd be enjoying it half as much without those old-school shout-outs to bits of continuity business and old, obscure DC characters. The most recent issue had as guest-stars, in addition to the cover-featured Martian Manhunter: J'emm Son of Saturn, Starfire, Ultra the Multi-Alien, and Starman. Upon being introduced to the blue-skinned alien Starman, Fred Jones says: "I thought Starman was a young hipster guy." Starman: "That's the other Starman." "You're his father?" "That's the other, other Starman." "An earthling with a mullet?" "The other, other, other Starman." "An alien prince?" "The other, other, other, other Starman." And as Daphne meets Starfire (here the Teen Titans animated version): Daphne: "You're..." Starfire: "No, I am not the Russian superhero Starfire-- nor the barbarian freedom-fighter Starfire." Daphne: "I was going to say you look taller since the last time we met.*" *Scooby-Doo Team-Up #9 (in which the Teen Titans guest-starred in their recent Teen Titans GO! incarnations). Older DC fans who aren't picking up this title are missing out on some great stuff.

Comment

Probably just DOC SAVAGE: RING OF FIRE #4 (of 4) for me, unless by some miracle an issue of WILL EISNERíS THE SPIRIT: THE CORPSE-MAKERS actually gets published in June.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
        Probably just DOC SAVAGE: RING OF FIRE #4 (of 4) for me, unless by some miracle an issue of WILL EISNERíS THE SPIRIT: THE CORPSE-MAKERS actually gets published in June.
        And it looks like DOC SAVAGE: RING OF FIRE #4 (of 4) won't be coming out this month now?

(Why can't Dynamite get its act together and publish books for when they solicit them?)

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
          And it looks like DOC SAVAGE: RING OF FIRE #4 (of 4) won't be coming out this month now?

(Why can't Dynamite get its act together and publish books for when they solicit them?)
          ??? It'll be out next week (07-05-17). GREEN HORNET 66 MEETS SPIRIT #1 and JUSTICE INC.: FACES OF JUSTICE #1 ship the same day.

What made you think it wasn't coming out?
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
            ??? It'll be out next week (07-05-17). GREEN HORNET 66 MEETS SPIRIT #1 and JUSTICE INC.: FACES OF JUSTICE #1 ship the same day.

What made you think it wasn't coming out?
            Probably just that it was part of the June solicitations yet wasn't among the books coming out by the last Wednesday of the month.
            Last edited by Captain Canuck; 06-29-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
              Probably just that it was part of the June solicitations yet wasn't among the books coming out by the last Wednesday of the month.
              DE titles have never listed official "expected to ship" dates. And even of those publishers that do, they aren't beholden to ship products between 2 and 3 months from when the solicitations first appear. I guess they have to put some date on the PREVIEWS catalog, but it's more for the benefit of Marvel and DC customers than anything else.

Just be happy you're not an Archie Comics reader. That publisher's standard operating procedures make DE look absolutely saintly by comparison. And to give DE credit where due, they've improved a lot in scheduling compared to just a few years ago. And yes, THE SPIRIT is a definite exception.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                And to give DE credit where due, they've improved a lot in scheduling compared to just a few years ago. And yes, THE SPIRIT is a definite exception.
                Oh god, yes. It's clear that Hoy didn't know it was only a week-long delay but there was a day when we would have killed for only a week.

Still waiting on Last Phantom series to properly conclude, in fact. Or maybe it did and I missed it?

Comment

Oh god, yes. It's clear that Hoy didn't know it was only a week-long delay but there was a day when we would have killed for only a week.

Still waiting on Last Phantom series to properly conclude, in fact. Or maybe it did and I missed it?
                  It did. There were 12 issues of The Last Phantom published. IIRC, the ending was left open-ended and somewhat ambiguous, obviously begging for a sequel that was not forthcoming. Since that was DE's first foray into the Phantom franchise, I think they were hoping to set up an ongoing, but sales dictated otherwise.

The other possibility is that The Last Phantom WAS intended to be an ongoing title, and projected plot threads had to be quickly curtailed when notice came down that poor sales were going to result in #12 being the final issue. That actually sounds more likely to me. I can think of several other DE series where the same applied, leaving unresolved plot threads dangling. Since I was never really happy with The Last Phantom anyway, I was hoping the title might be replaced sometime later by something more in a classic Phantom vein, but that didn't happen either.

Getting back to the idea of "June solicitations" though, that's all because of Diamond's catalog date. It's a mistaken assumption to take that as meaning that all the titles listed in that catalog will ship in June. Rather, the way people should be viewing it is that those titles listed in the June catalog will begin shipping in June. (The sole exception would be listings that are marked as "Retro-solicitations" which will ship even before the month of the catalog date.) Even those publishers that do list "expected to ship" dates will have any number of items with expected shipping dates in the following month, or even the month after that. The most recent Diamond catalog to be released (dated as September) even has some products listed that aren't expected to ship until January 2018. Since DE doesn't provide "expected to ship" dates for its comics, Diamond Comics arbitrarily assigns all of DE's titles an "expected to ship" date of the final Wednesday of the month -- but that's merely to satisfy Diamond's product tracking system, and isn't reflective of the real shipping dates, which could be up to four weeks earlier (in a month with five shipping Wednesdays), or up to 90 days from the final Wednesday of the month (Diamond will automatically cancel solicitations -- and retailers' preorders -- for any product listed in its catalog which isn't delivered to their warehouses within 90 days of its "expected to ship" date). Some titles are even specifically marked as "Advance solicitation" as notice that they aren't expected to ship until months later.
                  Last edited by positronic; 06-30-2017, 02:21 AM.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

It did. There were 12 issues of The Last Phantom published. IIRC, the ending was left open-ended and somewhat ambiguous, obviously begging for a sequel that was not forthcoming. Since that was DE's first foray into the Phantom franchise, I think they were hoping to set up an ongoing, but sales dictated otherwise.
                    It didn't. The final issue ended on a cliffhanger that was never resolved.

I think the Phantom was being attacked by a giant robot or something so "ambiguous" is quite generous on your part. It wasn't even like the conclusion of Watchmen or Inception where you're deliberately left wondering which way things might go. It was dropped right in the middle of an action scene and was so sudden that it felt like there might have been a page missing. I think they even had a special or annual or some such shortly after that didn't address it at all.

But obviously I wasn't serious about still waiting for it to be completed. It was clear very soon thereafter that Dynamite was just going to let it sit there.
                    Last edited by Captain Canuck; 06-30-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Getting back to the idea of "June solicitations" though, that's all because of Diamond's catalog date. It's a mistaken assumption to take that as meaning that all the titles listed in that catalog will ship in June. Rather, the way people should be viewing it is that those titles listed in the June catalog will begin shipping in June.
                      This is how Dynamite displays it on the website:

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...e_Ring_of_Fire

Publication Date: June 2017
                      Format: Comic Book
                      Page Count: 32 Pages
                      ON SALE DATE: 6/28

That doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation. Now in this case it's only a week, which wasn't initially clear, but Hoy certainly had cause to question it based on the information initially presented to him.

Comment

This is how Dynamite displays it on the website:

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...e_Ring_of_Fire

Publication Date: June 2017
                        Format: Comic Book
                        Page Count: 32 Pages
                        ON SALE DATE: 6/28

That doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation. Now in this case it's only a week, which wasn't initially clear, but Hoy certainly had cause to question it based on the information initially presented to him.
                        Saying "June" is too vague for credibility. It doesn't tell you the exact date -- the day of the month (which is always a Wednesday). If they can't predict that in advance, then that means they can't actually predict with certainty that it WILL ship in June. If they're not sure whether it might ship the first Wednesday in June, or the last Wednesday in June, then they can't really be sure that it will actually ship BY the last Wednesday in June. When you don't see an actual day and date, just a month, then you're looking at an estimate of approximately when it might ship.

Even when publishers DO list actual dates, you need to assess the reliability of the individual publisher in on-time delivery. Example: neither Marvel nor DC is 100% accurate in delivering titles to Diamond's warehouse by their expected shipping dates, but they're mostly pretty reliable in fulfilling those expectations, especially when taking into account the vast number of titles they publish every month. On the other hand, another publisher that does list "expected" shipping dates is Archie Comic Publications, and they're laughably UNreliable in making their target dates for the titles (relatively few, compared to Marvel, DC, or even DE) they solicit. That said, there was a time when Dynamite Entertainment was a lot closer to ACP's reliability in delivering books by expected dates, but they've improved. Not enough to be comparable to Marvel & DC's reliability, or even enough to list the actual dates for specific titles, not just a month. Still, they're getting better than they were years ago, and beginning to approach publishers like IDW and Dark Horse in reliability. One week off the target month isn't so bad.
                        Last edited by positronic; 07-02-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

It didn't. The final issue ended on a cliffhanger that was never resolved.

I think the Phantom was being attacked by a giant robot or something so "ambiguous" is quite generous on your part. It wasn't even like the conclusion of Watchmen or Inception where you're deliberately left wondering which way things might go. It was dropped right in the middle of an action scene and was so sudden that it felt like there might have been a page missing. I think they even had a special or annual or some such shortly after that didn't address it at all.

But obviously I wasn't serious about still waiting for it to be completed. It was clear very soon thereafter that Dynamite was just going to let it sit there.
                          ... I finally located those LAST PHANTOM issues in my collection and managed to re-read them. I realize now in retrospect that I never really had a clear idea of quite exactly what was going on in that series.

You are absolutely correct, Captain. Issues #1-12 of THE LAST PHANTOM are in fact, a single long story with no ending.

The fact that the plot ongoing since the first issue is never resolved makes me think it was pretty ballsy of DE to even collect the series in two trade paperbacks. The amount of decompressed storytelling here leads to no satisfaction for the reader, and a plot that unfolds at a snail-like pace, interrupted by occasional flashbacks (including issue #10-11's re-origin of the 1st Phantom). I think when I first read it I had the idea that the main character here was the son of the traditional Phantom seen in the newspaper comic strip, which would have placed the story either in the very near future (the stealth-suit technology may have given me this impression as well), or in the present, with the presumption that the 'newspaper Phantom' had met his demise in the relatively recent past.

I think when I was reading the story the first time around as each issue was released, I had only the vaguest sense of what was happening. I remember not being happy with it, but some stubborn curiosity, hoping that answers to nagging questions would surely be forthcoming, made me ride it out for 12 issues. Issue #12 threw a bewildering twist into the works with the appearances of both Diana Palmer and Guran, seeming to indicate that "The LAST Phantom" was in fact, the current Phantom at the beginning of his career, which would make it a reboot. The fact that a reader doesn't discover this until 12 issues into the series is blood-boiling. At the pace the plot (such as it was... a fairly typical re-tread of "Idi Amin takes over Bangalla/Bengali") was unfolding, it would have taken at least another 6 issues for it to conclude.

I would certainly nominate THE LAST PHANTOM for the "Golden Turkey Award" of Worst Dynamite Series Ever.

EDIT: Wasn't there a terrible Phantom TV-movie on cable with the same premise?
                          Last edited by pulphero; 07-10-2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Even though that's about as scathing a review as one could write... ...now I feel compelled to read them again too!

I'm in the middle of a move so they're boxed up now, unfortunately. I only recall liking some aspects of it and like you, assumed it was set in the near future, maybe something like Green Hornet Strikes (another winner).

I know very little about the character but even still could tell that they were deviating from many of the aspects that made him appealing to his fans. And yet, I remember people here commenting that those deviations were already played out. Evidently Dynamite's writers weren't the first to come up with the idea of the reluctant heir to the throne.

Ah well. too bad.

Wasn't there a terrible Phantom TV-movie on cable with the same premise?
                            Wow, totally forgot about that. Just remember seeing the ads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_(miniseries)

Comment

Even though that's about as scathing a review as one could write... ...now I feel compelled to read them again too!

I'm in the middle of a move so they're boxed up now, unfortunately. I only recall liking some aspects of it and like you, assumed it was set in the near future, maybe something like Green Hornet Strikes (another winner).

I know very little about the character but even still could tell that they were deviating from many of the aspects that made him appealing to his fans. And yet, I remember people here commenting that those deviations were already played out. Evidently Dynamite's writers weren't the first to come up with the idea of the reluctant heir to the throne.

Ah well. too bad.

Wow, totally forgot about that. Just remember seeing the ads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_(miniseries)
                              Wow, and I thought DE's version was bad. Just reading the plot synopsis of that 3-hour debacle of a Syfy Channel "miniseries" (2 90-minute parts) sent cold chills up my spine. It makes THE LAST PHANTOM reboot look like a paragon of faithfulness to the original by comparison.

I'm pretty sure TLP lifted the idea of the "Predator invisi-tech suit" from the animated PHANTOM 2040 cartoon of the 1990s, though (and maybe the cartoon actually DID steal the idea from Predator).

Comment

Working...
                              X