"Sheena Get Her Own Series From From Bennett, Trujilo And Moritat"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sheena Get Her Own Series From From Bennett, Trujilo And Moritat"

Thought of adding her to the "female pulp characters" thread but wasn't sure if she qualified.

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, was the first female character in comics to carry her own dedicated series beginning in 1937. Created by industry legends Will Eisner and S. M. “Jerry” Iger, this groundbreaking character saw 167 issues over the span of two decades. Now she is getting a new series from writers Marguerite Bennett (Batwoman, Animosity) and Christina Trujilo, with illustrations by Moritat (Hellblazer, Teen Titans).

Bennett says, “Our story is glorious golden age pulp — high adventure, quick wit, ancient mysteries, and daring dames — clashing with the perils of two worlds: one, the modern world come to conquer, and one, a world of dark supernatural mystery long forgotten, awoken to anger once more. This is a fast paced, action packed kick off to more exciting adventures for Sheena!”

Sheena began her fictional existence as an orphan raised by a shaman in the jungle, perfecting her survival skills and mastering the ability to communicate with animals. Her many adventures brought her into conflict with evil hunters, slave traders, and rampaging wildlife. The character has thrilled audiences in several television and film adaptations, including portrayals by actresses Irish McCalla (1955-1956), Tanya Roberts (1984), and Gena Lee Nolin (2000). In this relaunch, Sheena proves her prowess as the guardian of the jungle as she pursues a mysterious invader that has come to spy on the Amazon’s most ancient secrets. Following the path of the trespasser, she encounters a forbidden ruin in which even more deadly dangers lie in wait — and begins an adventure that will take her beyond her wildest imaginings!

Cover artwork for Sheena #0 are from Emanuela Lupacchino (Starfire, Supergirl) with “Sneak Peek” covers from Moritat, Ryan Sook (X-Factor, The Spectre) and J. Scott Campbell (The Amazing Spiderman)! Sheena #0 will be in the June 2017 Previews catalog and slated for release in August.

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    Thought of adding her to the "female pulp characters" thread but wasn't sure if she qualified.
    Moritat is an artist I really like... by why, oh why did it have to be written by Marguerite Bennett? She's a terrible writer.

Sheena did appear in a single issue of her own pulp prose fiction magazine.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I concur Moritat can draw an impressive Sheena. I too am concerned about Maugeitte Bennett writing. A-Force was really dull. I wish Roy Thomas wrote Sheena. Bennett needs to research Sheena especially the 1955 Irish McCalla show.

This series success is going to depend heavily on the art. U
      Comic2read

Comment

I concur Moritat can draw an impressive Sheena. I too am concerned about Maugeitte Bennett writing. A-Force was really dull. I wish Roy Thomas wrote Sheena. Bennett needs to research Sheena especially the 1955 Irish McCalla show.

This series success is going to depend heavily on the art.
        Comic2read

Comment

So it's not just me then. I thought her Earth-2 stuff was tedious as hell. but then, she wasn't the only writer on that, so to be fair...

Comment

So it's not just me then. I thought her Earth-2 stuff was tedious as hell. but then, she wasn't the only writer on that, so to be fair...
            Almost everything I've seen by Marguerite Bennett is co-written with somebody else: the current BATWOMAN series with James Tynion IV, EARTH 2 with Tom Taylor, JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS series with Cameron Deordio, so SHEENA together with Christina Trujilo is about par for the course. It doesn't seem to make any difference who they pair her up with as a co-writer... it's all just awful. I think Bennett wrote DC BOMBSHELLS by herself, and that was pretty bad. She seems to get hired to write series with female protagonists based solely on the fact that she's one of a limited number of female writers in the industry, and a lesbian. If she has any talent, I've never been able to discover it. TEDIOUS is indeed the word, Captain... right on the nosey.

Comment

Jumpin' Jesus, she did that Red Sonja / Jungle Girl book as part of Swords Of Sorrows. That was the worst of a miserable lot. And most-recently concluded Red Sonja series that people here seemed to detest by consensus.

I love the Batwoman character, too. I was trade-waiting that one but that'll suck the enthusiasm out of ya real quick.

Comment

Hi,

No. no. no. The worst Sword of Sorrow book was that Dejah Thoris/ Irene Adler book absolutely SJW garbage. but the Bennett book was a close second. I'm not expecting much here.

Jumpin' Jesus, she did that Red Sonja / Jungle Girl book as part of Swords Of Sorrows. That was the worst of a miserable lot. And most-recently concluded Red Sonja series that people here seemed to detest by consensus.

I love the Batwoman character, too. I was trade-waiting that one but that'll suck the enthusiasm out of ya real quick.

Comment

Swords of Sorrows was so boring. All these super heroines teaming up should have been a fun exciting book but it seemed to be made dull on purpose.

So the question becomes how can Marguerite Bennett write a good Sheena story. She really needs to research Sheena and be a fan. Have cliffhangers.

Hopefully Moritat art will not be dampened as good good girl art can redeem a poor story.
                  Comic2read

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                    Hi,

No. no. no. The worst Sword of Sorrow book was that Dejah Thoris/ Irene Adler book absolutely SJW garbage. but the Bennett book was a close second. I'm not expecting much here.
                    Hmmm...The one where Sherlock Holmes is told he isn't as smart as he thinks he is, or something to that effect, if I recall correctly...You make a strong argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Comic2read View Post
                      Swords of Sorrows was so boring. All these super heroines teaming up should have been a fun exciting book but it seemed to be made dull on purpose.
                      I recall thinking that Prophecy had done something fairly similar in teaming up a number of Dynamite's female characters and that it had been so much better. The characters didn't seem so forced into the story. They didn't feel like they were in there just because they were female. And there was less of the writer interjecting personal belief/opinion into the story.

The premise of Swords of Sorrows was something I would have written for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign when I was 14.
                      Last edited by Captain Canuck; 05-26-2017, 10:35 AM.

Comment

G'day,

Well that was Gail Simone baby so she has to take the blame. At least the first issue of the Sheena book is only 25c so I might be tempted to look at it.

ta

Ralph

So the question becomes how can Marguerite Bennett write a good Sheena story. She really needs to research Sheena and be a fan. Have cliffhangers.

Hopefully Moritat art will not be dampened as good good girl art can redeem a poor story.

Comment

At a quarter, I can take a look depending on the art inside. I love some jungle/cave girl action. The Red Sonja/Jungle Girl was a mess but if you thought of them as two cosplayers making a fan film the story had occasional humor if predictably 'boys are gross' in style. They sure weren't Red Sonja or Jungle Girl. Her own Red Sonja series was a mess for a number of reasons but I wasn't bored by it. Perplexed, annoyed, bemused, it felt like a cheesy bad movie Elvira, Mistress of the Dark would have shown. It was bad enough to be entertaining in retrospect. I wouldn't be surprised if Sheena ended up the same. If Bennett could get past her Tumblr/Twitter snark outlook and pay more attention to her story mechanics both in narrative and in conjunction with her artists, she could be a decent writer.

If Dynamite is going to start fishing around the 50s and 60s for the likes of Bettie Page, Sheena, and Barbarella, I wish they'd try a series using Raquel Welch's Loana from One Million Years B.C. Furry bikini cave girl fighting dinosaurs and weird cave goons, and what the heck- throw in some lost civilizations of lizard people and Atlantis. Embrace the pulp era.

Comment

Past experience with Bennett's past stories proved otherwise to me. Steve Epting's artwork on BATWOMAN is superb, but can't save the story. Neither could some very nice work by Audrey Mok on JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS.

The only thing that might save those stories is if you could somehow get hold of copies of the color art pages without dialogue balloons and captions on them; maybe you'd just need to make digital copies of JPGs of all the interior pages and photoshop all the lettering out. Seriously, as a writer she is that bad.
                            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

A lot of the Golden age Sheena stories weren't that great. Marguerite Bennett should adapt the Rulah Jungle Goddess comics for Sheena. Or Franco Saudelli's Khina, Queen of the Jungle which has art similar to Moritat. Her stories need cliffhangers.
                              Comic2read

Comment

Working...
                              X