• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moritat drew a great Sheena in 2007.
    Attached Files
    Comic2read

Comment

G'day,

Well I'm giving the cheapo #0 a go. Lets see if it a keep or rip.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by Comic2read View Post
      Moritat drew a great Sheena in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        Past experience with Bennett's past stories proved otherwise to me. Steve Epting's artwork on BATWOMAN is superb, but can't save the story.
        I missed this post earlier. I know you're just the bearer of bad news but you've made me a sad captain.

I'll still get it to see for myself and because I get most of the character's appearances but you're (plural, to include everyone else who commented) confirming my fears.

Comment

Sheena #0 revised release date is August 16th.
          Comic2read

Comment

Originally posted by Comic2read View Post
            Sheena #0 revised release date is August 16th.
            It was free on Comixology so I gave it a look.

I guess I could say I got my money's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
              It was free on Comixology so I gave it a look.

I guess I could say I got my money's worth.
              Well, what about the cost of the power/electricity you had to expend to view it?

Was it worth that?

Comment

After reading the 25-cent #0, I'm (surprisingly) tempted to read issue #1. I've been a fan of Moritat's artwork for a while now (he did a great job on DC's The Spirit, really the only one of those First Wave titles that was worth reading, plus his fairly-long run on All Star Western/Jonah Hex), so that had to factor into it, and while it's not much of a story so far, at least the dialogue was cut down to something resembling normal for a comic book story -- or maybe it's because Sheena really has no one to talk to but her animal pals. The writing is credited to both Marguerite Bennett and Christina Trujillo, but I'm going to say it reads to me like Trujillo was responsible for the actual dialogue, perhaps working from a story synopsis devised by Bennett. At any rate it was nowhere near as off-putting to me as most Bennett-written comics, in my experience. Maybe that will change in subsequent issues, I'm not sure. I'm cautious because I had a similar reaction to Vampirella #0 (which also had good artwork by Jimmy Broxton), which led me to read the first couple of issues of that, before dropping it.
                Last edited by positronic; 08-18-2017, 02:56 AM.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

One of the worst comics I've read in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                    Well, what about the cost of the power/electricity you had to expend to view it?

Was it worth that?
                    Now I feel robbed.

The art was pretty easy on the eyes but Sheena herself was annoying. What Positronic said is true, of course, in that Sheena only has her animals to talk to and perhaps that's why her dialogue was a little unusual, but it got on my nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                      Now I feel robbed.

The art was pretty easy on the eyes but Sheena herself was annoying. What Positronic said is true, of course, in that Sheena only has her animals to talk to and perhaps that's why her dialogue was a little unusual, but it got on my nerves.
                      I'd have to go back and review to refresh my memory, but IIRC the dialogue seemed more-or-less consistent with the earlier Devil's Due Productions comics Steven DeSousa reboot of Sheena. She's frequently off by herself with no other companions but her pet parrot and panther, and she often talks to them, which seems to replace what would usually be a running internal monologue via captions.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

It's an issue 0, its a fresh start. I dont know anything about Sheena other than she seem's to be a Tarzan knock off, who talks to herself and her animals, and tends to repeat herself...a lot. And this comic did nothing to fill in the gaps of who she is, why she is where she is, or anything really.

Comment

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
                          It's an issue 0, its a fresh start. I dont know anything about Sheena other than she seem's to be a Tarzan knock off, who talks to herself and her animals, and tends to repeat herself...a lot. And this comic did nothing to fill in the gaps of who she is, why she is where she is, or anything really.
                          True. At least the DDP comics re-origined her story when they rebooted her. The DE series would seem to be a direct continuation of that iteration of the character, but of course they shouldn't assume that readers would have read the previous publisher's Sheena series. Then again, you could say it's just picking up from DE's earlier Lords of the Jungle miniseries, where the rebooted Sheena had to do some time-travel to meet up with DE's Tarzan. That series didn't recap her modern origin story either.

In the classic Sheena comics, she was basically just a female Tarzan, whose jungle adventures were set in the standard fantasy version of an African jungle. To briefly summarize the difference between the classic Sheena comics and the new version, the rebooted Sheena takes place in the present, and is set in the fictional South American country of Val Verde, situated in the Amazon rainforest.

Comment

G'day,

Well, I read #0 and it seems to be the Sheena of Lords of the Jungle. She is based in South America. The story wasn't too bad and ened in a way wanting me to know more. Might get #1

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            True. At least the DDP comics re-origined her story when they rebooted her. The DE series would seem to be a direct continuation of that iteration of the character, but of course they shouldn't assume that readers would have read the previous publisher's Sheena series. Then again, you could say it's just picking up from DE's earlier Lords of the Jungle miniseries, where the rebooted Sheena had to do some time-travel to meet up with DE's Tarzan. That series didn't recap her modern origin story either.

In the classic Sheena comics, she was basically just a female Tarzan, whose jungle adventures were set in the standard fantasy version of an African jungle. To briefly summarize the difference between the classic Sheena comics and the new version, the rebooted Sheena takes place in the present, and is set in the fictional South American country of Val Verde, situated in the Amazon rainforest.

Comment

To further summarize the prior history of Steven E. DeSouza's rebooted Sheena, it began with a 99-cent one-shot SHEENA Special dated March 2007, published by Devil's Due Productions. This was followed by SHEENA #1-5, cover-dated from April 2007 to January 2008. A 48-page one-shot dated August 2007, SHEENA: Trail of the Mapinguari then came out around the same time as issue #3. Then a 3-issue miniseries, SHEENA: Dark Rising from DDP, dated from from October through December 2008. All of that material was reprinted in 2 trade paperbacks from DDP in 2008 and 2009 (and in addition they published 2 volumes of TPs collecting GOLDEN AGE SHEENA: The Best of the Queen of the Jungle).

Some years passed before this version of Sheena was again seen in comics, this time in a 3-issue SHEENA miniseries published by Moonstone, dated April, June, and August of 2014.

A couple of more years passed and then Sheena turned up at Dynamite for the 2016 six-issue series, LORDS OF THE JUNGLE, co-starring (via time-travel) with DE's Tarzan, which brings us to the present 25-cent SHEENA #0.
                              Last edited by positronic; 08-20-2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
                                Exactly. "I can't set foot in the temple. The Gods will be angry if I walk into the temple! Oh no! I'm walking in the temple! This will anger the Gods! Forgive me, Gods, I'm standing in the temple! I know being in the temple angers you! I'm so sorry I'm in the temple! I'll get out of the temple as soon as I can because I know my presence angers you!"

Holy Christ. We get it! Temple, Gods, angry. By page six I thought the parrot would start repeating it too.

Whether it's in character or not, deliberate or not, it was friggin' irritating.

Comment

Working...
                                X