"Sheena Get Her Own Series From From Bennett, Trujilo And Moritat"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
    It's an issue 0, its a fresh start. I dont know anything about Sheena other than she seem's to be a Tarzan knock off, who talks to herself and her animals, and tends to repeat herself...a lot.
    You sure Tom King wasn't ghost-writing it?
    (Or maybe somebody was trying to copy King's style from his Rebirth Batman guano.)

Comment

The Moritat art was good and it will get better if they let him draw Sheena as he wants. Check out his cover to #3. I enjoyed the story.
      Comic2read

Comment

Ok, what do people think of #1? I rather enjoyed it. Thought the art was OK, if rather sweet and girlie rather then hot and sexy. The story is showing promise too.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
          Ok, what do people think of #1? I rather enjoyed it. Thought the art was OK, if rather sweet and girlie rather then hot and sexy. The story is showing promise too.
          Hi,

Like the Sheena stuff from Devil's Due Publishing, which this seems to be based off of, it's not doing a whole lot for me so far. Industrialist intruders butting up against Sheena, protector of the ecosystem, isn't an inspired start to a new series, in my opinion. I'd like to see some pulp style adventures, not a constant stream of the outside world vs the jungle, which seems to be what the DeSousa version of Sheena is all about.

There's too much cutesy stuff: Sheena calling the drone a flying turtle (even though she seems to know exactly what it is); "Village Name Untranslatable;" Sheena's randomly broken English ("Sir Veyor" when referring to the lost surveyor).

Also, what's with Sheena pulling film out of an apparently undeveloped roll, and it shows the negative? Maybe that's a nitpick, but still.

Moritat's art is ok, but Sheena looks way too young in the face. Think Irish McCalla, people!

My general criticism of most modern comics applies here, too, where there's not much content in each issue. It takes 5 pages to establish the setting, have Sheena shoot down a drone, get a reaction from the drone pilot, and have Sheena get to the village. That's A LOT of space for very little story/action!

I'll stick with it because I want to support the character in hopes of getting some really good content in the future, but these first two issues (#0, #1) don't have me too excited. Given that Sheena's start at Dynamite was the terrible "Lords of the Jungle" mini-series, I hope they pull it together and get some good stories going soon.

Comment

Who will be the new Sheena artist?
            Comic2read

Comment

Now that Moritat, who did excellent Good Girl Art work, said he is no longer the Sheena artist, will the new artist draw Sheena like Irish McCalla?
              Comic2read

Comment

Originally posted by Comic2read View Post
                Now that Moritat, who did excellent Good Girl Art work, said he is no longer the Sheena artist, will the new artist draw Sheena like Irish McCalla?
                Has it been announced that Moritat is leaving the book? I haven't seen that anywhere. At any rate, if they're looking for a replacement, it would be nice if they went with someone who can make the book look as good as possible. That means drawing backgrounds, not having characters just "hovering" with no environment behind them. There's way too much of that in the latest issue.
                Last edited by Viper_Pilot_Apollo; 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Pilot_Apollo View Post
                  Has it been announced that Moritat is leaving the book? I haven't seen that anywhere. At any rate, if they're looking for a replacement, it would be nice if they went with someone who can make the book look as good as possible. That means drawing backgrounds, not having characters just "hovering" with no environment behind them. There's way too much of that in the latest issue.
                  According to the solicit the new artist as of #5 is Maria Sanapo.
                  SHEENA #5
                  Cover A: Art Thibert | Cover B: Maria Sanapo | Cover C: Marco Santucci | Cover D: Cosplay | Writers: Marguerite Bennett, Christina Trujillo | Art: Maria Sanapo

As monsters and mercenaries clash, Sheena must race to prevent a war that could annihilate all she holds dear!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...mite-jan-2018/

Comment

I like that Maria Sanapo Sheena art evokes the face of Irish McCalla. With a little fine-tuning can even look more like her.
                    Comic2read

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post

According to the solicit the new artist as of #5 is Maria Sanapo.
                      SHEENA #5
                      Cover A: Art Thibert | Cover B: Maria Sanapo | Cover C: Marco Santucci | Cover D: Cosplay | Writers: Marguerite Bennett, Christina Trujillo | Art: Maria Sanapo

As monsters and mercenaries clash, Sheena must race to prevent a war that could annihilate all she holds dear!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...mite-jan-2018/
                      I wasn't familiar with Sanapo. I looked her up. Based on some of the art on her blog, she's certainly a talented and capable artist. On her blog there's some Red Sonja pages that are fantastic. But then I looked at some of her published stuff (the Charmed comic book), and I find it pretty unremarkable. I hope she'll have the time to really do the best job possible. Some very good art would go a long way helping the book out, because the writing, in my opinion, is very weak so far.

Issue two was really terrible overall. The first six pages do virtually nothing to advance the story, mostly they just recap what has happened in the previous issue in huge walls of text. Now, I'm all for more text in comic books these days, but not when it doesn't do anything for the story.

On page 9, Sheena says "what is 'the preserve' you keep mentioning?" in spite of the fact that the other character hasn't mentioned it once. I guess we're supposed to understand that he's talked about it "off screen," since the top of the page says "TWO HOURS LATER." Still, it's bad writing, and the sort of thing an editor should have caught.

Speaking of editors-- check out Sheena's band and bracelet change wrists at random throughout the book. Particularly look at the tops of page 22 and 23. On page 22 the bracelet of beads on on her left wrist, across from that on the top of page 23 it's on her right wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Pilot_Apollo View Post

I wasn't familiar with Sanapo. I looked her up. Based on some of the art on her blog, she's certainly a talented and capable artist. On her blog there's some Red Sonja pages that are fantastic. But then I looked at some of her published stuff (the Charmed comic book), and I find it pretty unremarkable. I hope she'll have the time to really do the best job possible. Some very good art would go a long way helping the book out, because the writing, in my opinion, is very weak so far.

Issue two was really terrible overall. The first six pages do virtually nothing to advance the story, mostly they just recap what has happened in the previous issue in huge walls of text. Now, I'm all for more text in comic books these days, but not when it doesn't do anything for the story.

On page 9, Sheena says "what is 'the preserve' you keep mentioning?" in spite of the fact that the other character hasn't mentioned it once. I guess we're supposed to understand that he's talked about it "off screen," since the top of the page says "TWO HOURS LATER." Still, it's bad writing, and the sort of thing an editor should have caught.

Speaking of editors-- check out Sheena's band and bracelet change wrists at random throughout the book. Particularly look at the tops of page 22 and 23. On page 22 the bracelet of beads on on her left wrist, across from that on the top of page 23 it's on her right wrist.
                        I haven't read the latest issue but Bennett's work on Red Sonja: The Falcon Throne had continuity questions of a similar nature. Sonja and a companion rode into a village and commented on how there were no soldiers around. In the next panel there were soldiers recruiting new recruits. The editor, the artist, the letterer, someone should have caught that and said something. The book was rife with glitches like that. It's too bad the same thing is going on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post

I haven't read the latest issue but Bennett's work on Red Sonja: The Falcon Throne had continuity questions of a similar nature. Sonja and a companion rode into a village and commented on how there were no soldiers around. In the next panel there were soldiers recruiting new recruits. The editor, the artist, the letterer, someone should have caught that and said something. The book was rife with glitches like that. It's too bad the same thing is going on here.
                          That's too bad. Rather than spending money on variant covers for every issue, I wish Dynamite would invest a little more in the book itself. The variant covers probably help sell some extra copies, but a higher quality product has the potential to generate a lot more sales in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                          X