Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamite's pathetic Vampirella promotion

G'day

What follows is from the October Vampirella issue preview on DE's upcoming web page:

"The perfect jumping on point for anyone who has been curious to try Vampirella! Join brand new creative team Jeremy Whitley (The Unstoppable Wasp, Avengers, Princeless) and Andy Belanger (Southern Cross, Swamp Thing, Black Church) as Vampi and Vicki emerge into a ruined wasteland that hates Vampirella for the unintended consequences of saving them. This Vampirella story has everything: a new adventure, new romance, and the return of a very old evil."
    Heres the main cover art:

Am I the only one who see's there something very important missing? Sorry it the story does not "have everything" Were's her unique costume? Why does DE insist in desexing such a magnificent character. ? I'm not sure its an attempt o attract female readers, or just SJW nonsense I'm highly skeptical its going to work.

On the same page they are advertising this $90 statue:

And the cosplay cover girl has the good taste to wear:

Ralph

"Something important" has been missing from this series since issue #1. The solicitation above is for issue #8, so you must have overlooked the missing costume since issue #1. They always seem to offer at least one cover variant with artwork depicting Vampi wearing her classic costume, regardless of the fact that she doesn't wear it in the interior story artwork.

DE has been exploiting the Vampirella model photo-cover variants almost from the start, as Harris Comics did before them in the 1990s. Even Jim Warren did a few photo covers in the early 1980s (though they weren't variants) on the original Vampirella magazine before his company went out of business, so you could say it's a long-established tradition that will probably continue, regardless of the story content of the comics.

Another recent example would be the KISS Vampirella miniseries. In the interior story artwork, Vampirella isn't depicted wearing her classic costume, but she's wearing it on the main cover art, and all of the issues also offered variant Vampi model photo-covers as well. Variant covers are an easy way to sell extra copies with a small investment, a policy that DE has maintained since the beginning.

I'm guessing that DE correctly deduced that those SJW & female readers do not purchase $90 statues.

That said, the costume change topic had been pretty well thrashed-out when the announcement for the current Vampirella series first appeared, so there doesn't seem to be any point in revisiting it. All you can do refrain from purchasing the series if you disagree with their approach to the character. Your sole means of casting a vote is in withholding your money.
    Last edited by positronic; 07-31-2017, 10:36 AM.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Absolutely! I have been pissed off with the current version since #1 and haven't purchased any since. I'm highly skeptical they will get many sales from SJW tumblrinas but hey, what would I know. I will not be buying it until artists are allowed to give her profuse sexuality back.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      "Something important" has been missing from this series since issue #1. The solicitation above is for issue #8, so you must have overlooked the missing costume since issue #1. They always seem to offer at least one cover variant with artwork depicting Vampi wearing her classic costume, regardless of the fact that she doesn't wear it in the interior story artwork.

DE has been exploiting the Vampirella model photo-cover variants almost from the start, as Harris Comics did before them in the 1990s. Even Jim Warren did a few photo covers in the early 1980s (though they weren't variants) on the original Vampirella magazine before his company went out of business, so you could say it's a long-established tradition that will probably continue, regardless of the story content of the comics.

Another recent example would be the KISS Vampirella miniseries. In the interior story artwork, Vampirella isn't depicted wearing her classic costume, but she's wearing it on the main cover art, and all of the issues also offered variant Vampi model photo-covers as well. Variant covers are an easy way to sell extra copies with a small investment, a policy that DE has maintained since the beginning.

I'm guessing that DE correctly deduced that those SJW & female readers do not purchase $90 statues.

That said, the costume change topic had been pretty well thrashed-out when the announcement for the current Vampirella series first appeared, so there doesn't seem to be any point in revisiting it. All you can do refrain from purchasing the series if you disagree with their approach to the character. Your sole means of casting a vote is in withholding your money.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
        Absolutely! I have been pissed off with the current version since #1 and haven't purchased any since. I'm highly skeptical they will get many sales from SJW tumblrinas but hey, what would I know. I will not be buying it until artists are allowed to give her profuse sexuality back.

ta

Ralph
        Probably due to an error at Comixology, but I got the previous volume digitally for $1 or so a few weeks ago. While a lot of the promotion was based on the her costume change, she did wear the original in that series a few times.

While I like this makeover much more than the previous one, it might not have been a bad idea to do something similar. Like you, I didn't get past issue #1 so perhaps they did and I'm unaware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
          Another recent example would be the KISS Vampirella miniseries. In the interior story artwork, Vampirella isn't depicted wearing her classic costume, but she's wearing it on the main cover art, and all of the issues also offered variant Vampi model photo-covers as well.
          I did not know that. Do they have a whole new outfit for her?

Comment

If the stories were better...

...noone would bitch about the costume. My opinion is that while that the ideas for
            the arcs are always interesting, the execution is meh at best. Of course I might be
            doing Dynamite injustice and me forgetting the stories immediately after reading
            is due to my old age

Comment

I can't say that I understand what the thinking behind it is. I see no embarrassment in a character who has always been, from creative conception, about marketing to an audience of male readers via an unabashed appeal to sexuality. I guess (?) the logic goes something like we should be properly ashamed and politically chastised for being so unevolved by 21st Century cultural standards, and instead support such efforts at making all female comic characters more appealing to women on the basis of the potential for having real sex with real female comic fans... or something??

I'm all for publishers offering comics to interest everybody, but why not just figure out what appeals to the female demographic and make new comics (with new characters) aimed at that segment? The idea that they can just apply some great leveler that will make "one size fits all" characters out of existing characters who were conceived with a very specific male audience in mind is just stupid. Not that there was anything wrong with a girl liking the original version of Vampirella if she saw something in that character that she responded to/identified with/admired...

Just because a few vocal female fans love to slut-shame characters who are "unrealistic" or "overly sexualized", some publishers think "Don't hate us, we can fix it"?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                I did not know that. Do they have a whole new outfit for her?
                She's in a band called Witchkraft, so she dresses like a 70s female rocker. Not a costume, per se... not at all comparable to KISS's.

Comment

G'day,

I'm highly sceptical these comics will succeed in gaining much of an audience among women. Cosplay girls like them because they can play dress ups but I doubt many read them. What women like to read is romance. Its the biggest genre of all. Further more theres a whole sub genre of parnormal/ science fiction romance novel. Below is the cover art from Yasmine Galenorn's Dragon Wytch. The character is more covered then Vampy's traditional outfit but is far mor sexy then what DE is currently doing.

DE could do worse then ask a romance writer like Galenorn to have a go at one of their characters. Just get over this ridiculous puritanical view of sexy art.

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  I can't say that I understand what the thinking behind it is. I see no embarrassment in a character who has always been, from creative conception, about marketing to an audience of male readers via an unabashed appeal to sexuality. I guess (?) the logic goes something like we should be properly ashamed and politically chastised for being so unevolved by 21st Century cultural standards, and instead support such efforts at making all female comic characters more appealing to women on the basis of the potential for having real sex with real female comic fans... or something??

I'm all for publishers offering comics to interest everybody, but why not just figure out what appeals to the female demographic and make new comics (with new characters) aimed at that segment? The idea that they can just apply some great leveler that will make "one size fits all" characters out of existing characters who were conceived with a very specific male audience in mind is just stupid. Not that there was anything wrong with a girl liking the original version of Vampirella if she saw something in that character that she responded to/identified with/admired...

Just because a few vocal female fans love to slut-shame characters who are "unrealistic" or "overly sexualized", some publishers think "Don't hate us, we can fix it"?

Comment

Dynamite did BLOOD QUEEN, which was a kind of quasi-historical fantasy/vampire/romance thing...
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

G'day,

I'm highly sceptical these comics will succeed in gaining much of an audience among women. Cosplay girls like them because they can play dress ups but I doubt many read them. What women like to read is romance. Its the biggest genre of all. Further more theres a whole sub genre of parnormal/ science fiction romance novel. Below is the cover art from Yasmine Galenorn's Dragon Wytch. The character is more covered then Vampy's traditional outfit but is far mor sexy then what DE is currently doing.

DE could do worse then ask a romance writer like Galenorn to have a go at one of their characters. Just get over this ridiculous puritanical view of sexy art.

Ralph

Good one. They've already done a bunch of book character franchise adaptations, so I don't see where this could do worse, and might do better. Possibly a little crossover interest with the Game of Thrones audience as well.

And totally agreed, let's get past it -- comic books are fantasy (for the most part), so let's get over the idea that "we need to act respectable" in mixed company. What is up with the mixed messaging being sent between the cover variants and the interior story content??

Comment

Working...
                      X