"The Lone Ranger Rides Again" DVD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Lone Ranger Rides Again" DVD

Knowing that several people who frequest these boards are only discovering the Lone Ranger through the comic book series, here is a new look at part of the Lone Ranger's 74+ year history. In 1938, Republic Pictures produced a 15-Chapter motion picture serial called "The Lone Ranger." In 1939, a second 15-Chapter serial was produced titled "The Lone Ranger Rides Again." The majority of these prints were later destroyed by the studio and the films were "lost" for many years.

Eventually, some reels with Spanish subtitles and varying quality were found. Many video and DVD 'companies' distribute varying quality copies of these adventures of the Lone Ranger and "Ponto" (renamed for the Spanish audience). Now a group called the Serial Squadron has done a huge restoration job on the second serial, cleaning up the picture as best as they could and removing all of the subtitles (thus making "Ponto" Tonto again). They are making it availabe on DVD here:

"The Lone Ranger Rides Again"

You can also watch video of this 'restored' version on their site. Personally, I have never seen either of the serials. I've always wanted to, but shied away due to the reports of poor quality and Spanish subtitles. (And the fact that they do not follow the 'standard' Lone Ranger story. They are a continuity of their own.) I know CindyR has a previous version of this particular serial, and enjoys it. On the Lone Ranger boards she expressed delight over the restoration these guys did. So I thought I'd put it out there for those interested, and I know what I want my kids to get me for father's day.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES
Working...
X