The "Lost" Lone Ranger Cartoon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Lost" Lone Ranger Cartoon

The Serial Squadron, who restored the second Lone Ranger serial, "The Lone Ranger Rides Again," have included the rare Lone Ranger cartoon as part of the special features. My understanding is that this cartoon was originally silent, and they added music to it. I believe it appeared on the 'Lost Episodes' video, but I've never seen that video. Anyway, the Serial Squadron posted a link where you can watch the cartoon. Click here:

www.serialsquadron.com/lonerangercartoon.mpg
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

wow, I wonder when it was made :O

I noticed something though, the guys who did the cartoon misspelled Heigh-Ho spelling it Hiegh-O. They did it several times.

If you're gonna ommit the H in Ho, then it needs to be spelled Heigh'o. But even then they mixed up their "i" and "e".
    Last edited by Kevin; 06-12-2007, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I've heard several dates for the cartoon, anywhere between 1936 and 1939. I've seen "Hi-Yo" (and the incorrect "Hi-Ho") spelled several ways.

Hi-Yo
      Heigh-Yo
      Hiegh-Yo
      High-Yo
      Hi-Ho
      Heigh-Ho
      Hiegh-Ho
      High-Ho
      and now Hiegh-O

I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the spelling of it, because I know what it sounds like. As long as I hear that call in my head when I read it, the spelling doesn't really matter to me.
      DECODER RING THEATRE
      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Heigh-Ho is actually a phrase. It isn't made up. It means a number of things:
        Main Entry: heigh-ho
        Function: interjection
        Pronunciation: 'hī-'hO, 'hA-
        -- used typically to express boredom, weariness, or sadness or sometimes as a cry of encouragement

- Mirriam Webster

In either case, even if he were using a made up word, Hiegh-Ho is grammatically incorrect -- you cannot have an I before E next to a gh in english (or I believe French either).

Yo instead of Ho would be slang (as an H sound following a GH sound usually makes a Y sound), as well as Hi-Ho (Hi being abbreviated form of Heigh).

Comment

Oh, I wasn't saying Heigh-Ho wasn't a phrase or anything. It's just my understanding that the call was always intended as Hi-Yo. At least, after the initial test broadcast of the show where they used Hi-Yiiii.
          DECODER RING THEATRE
          EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS

Comment

Oh ok! ^_^

Comment

Cartoon

i was quite surprised at how graphic it was in showing a hanged man. not for kids by todays standars whether he lived or not!
              cindy

Comment

Are you kidding? cartoon characters still depict partial hangings

Comment

Depression era kids were pretty tough anyway.

Comment

hanging

i just figured that if *I was shocked by it, it was too much for kids.
                    cindy

Comment

pfft #1 kid friendly family during the mid 60s was the Adam's Family.

Let's not forget the westerns during the 50s, or Zorro, or Robin Hood -- people always saving other people from lynchings and hangings.

In some ways society has gotten too soft, refusing to show any type of violence to kids, even if it's a "rescue" scene.

Can't have Robin Hood without rescuing people from Hangings. btw-- the new Robin Hood series ROCKS.

Comment

Working...
                      X