Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gold Key characters relaunch with Dynamite!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe another reboot with all new creative teams. That's essentially what happened with Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist and The Last Phantom, although there was obviously a gap in there between Kings Watch.

Comment

• Good Lord, that would be one fast reboot. It's been less than a year...

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
        Good Lord, that would be one fast reboot. It's been less than a year...
        But there's no indication as yet that something will follow fairly quickly after the final issues of the current Gold Key incarnations. There may well be a gap of 6 months or a year before we'd see anything like that. Or maybe there might be some kind of crossover of all the current titles in between to set up a rebooted universe. They have established the idea of some sort of multiverse with the plot of Doctor Spektor, at any rate, so the groundwork would already seem to be laid.

I guess the only point I'm trying to make here is that weak sales on all the Gold Key titles have indicated that the marketplace has not embraced DE's current incarnartions of these characters. If DE is to continue in some manner with the Gold Key license, it's going to require a major retooling of the characters again to gain any attention. Merely replacing the creative teams on the current books with new creative teams isn't going to cut it.
        Last edited by pulphero; 11-22-2014, 03:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          But there's no indication as yet that something will follow fairly quickly after the final issues of the current Gold Key incarnations. There may well be a gap of 6 months or a year before we'd see anything like that. Or maybe there might be some kind of crossover of all the current titles in between to set up a rebooted universe. They have established the idea of some sort of multiverse with the plot of Doctor Spektor, at any rate, so the groundwork would already seem to be laid.

I guess the only point I'm trying to make here is that weak sales on all the Gold Key titles have indicated that the marketplace has not embraced DE's current incarnartions of these characters. If DE is to continue in some manner with the Gold Key license, it's going to require a major retooling of the characters again to gain any attention. Merely replacing the creative teams on the current books with new creative teams isn't going to cut it.
          Perhaps instead of a retooling or a reboot, we get the original Gold Key characters in a format very similar to original Gold Key stories and characterizations? New stories set in the original story places without much retooling. Turok and Andar not facing other time lost characters in the lost valley but facing modern interpretations of dinosaurs (honkers). Having Turok meet all sorts of lost time period characters loses the uniqueness of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter being lost in a valley of dinosaurs. Magnus: Robot Fighter (I did like the costume update) should not deviate from Russ Manning's vision of the future--having Magnus be a transplanted time traveler seemed away from the storyline. I have fonder memories of the creepy Occult Files of Dr. Spektor (Spektor: Occult Detective) than Waid's variation of the character (miss the beard for one). The artwork in the original stories were a creepy trip of danger that the supernatural could occur. Finally, the covers of the old Gold Key were painted covers that seemed photographic in nature like the old Warren magazine covers.

Sorry, never a fan of the Solar concept as DC has better versions of the concept in Firestorm and Captain Atom. I would rather see Brothers of the Spear, Dagar the Invincible (Dagar: Invincible Barbarian), Tragg and the Sky Gods (Tragg: Sky God Slayer), Mighty Samson (Samson: Mighty Survivalist), and others. I would propose an anthology of these characters headlined by Turok, Magnus, and Spektor with the painted covers with reprints of the classic gold key stories to add to the fun! Maybe call it Gold Key to Adventure or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
            Perhaps instead of a retooling or a reboot, we get the original Gold Key characters in a format very similar to original Gold Key stories and characterizations? New stories set in the original story places without much retooling. Turok and Andar not facing other time lost characters in the lost valley but facing modern interpretations of dinosaurs (honkers). Having Turok meet all sorts of lost time period characters loses the uniqueness of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter being lost in a valley of dinosaurs. Magnus: Robot Fighter (I did like the costume update) should not deviate from Russ Manning's vision of the future--having Magnus be a transplanted time traveler seemed away from the storyline. I have fonder memories of the creepy Occult Files of Dr. Spektor (Spektor: Occult Detective) than Waid's variation of the character (miss the beard for one). The artwork in the original stories were a creepy trip of danger that the supernatural could occur. Finally, the covers of the old Gold Key were painted covers that seemed photographic in nature like the old Warren magazine covers.

Sorry, never a fan of the Solar concept as DC has better versions of the concept in Firestorm and Captain Atom. I would rather see Brothers of the Spear, Dagar the Invincible (Dagar: Invincible Barbarian), Tragg and the Sky Gods (Tragg: Sky God Slayer), Mighty Samson (Samson: Mighty Survivalist), and others. I would propose an anthology of these characters headlined by Turok, Magnus, and Spektor with the painted covers with reprints of the classic gold key stories to add to the fun! Maybe call it Gold Key to Adventure or something?
            One thing I didn't like about DE's version of Turok is that he wasn't even in the Lost Land, if they did something similar to the DH series which was very close to the original, I know I would've enjoyed it better.
            One book I would have liked to see DE try was MARS Patrol, currently they are not publishing any military books, this would have been a great opportunity to do a military/sci-fi book, similar to GIJOE.

Comment

• Originally posted by rasx View Post
              One thing I didn't like about DE's version of Turok is that he wasn't even in the Lost Land, if they did something similar to the DH series which was very close to the original, I know I would've enjoyed it better.
              One book I would have liked to see DE try was MARS Patrol, currently they are not publishing any military books, this would have been a great opportunity to do a military/sci-fi book, similar to GIJOE.
              Not just GIJoe but Stargate SG1! When I looked up MARS Patrol Total War, I was impressed. A true military science fiction story would be great for DE to do.

The Gold Key characters span different genres. I would like to see DE adopt the same strategy of one-shots/mini-series they use on their pulp characters to the Gold Key characters. Maybe one month a Gold Key Presents Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, then next month Spektor: Occult Detective, followed by Magnus: Robot Fighter, Tragg: Sky-god Slayer, Dagar: Invincible Barbarian, Samson: Mighty Survivalist, MARS Patrol: Total Warriors, etc. DE please don't abandon these ideas/concepts as they are unique to comic marketplace.

I just went through my comic collection and enjoyed re-reading some of the great 1970s Turok: Son of Stone and Occult Files of Dr. Spektor comics. Loved the painted cover art (almost photographic images drawing me in to read the stories inside) and loved the originality of settings. There was nothing wrong with the settings of the original stories. New stories can be told from those settings and make us older fans and newer fans that are being exposed to the HC reprints of Gold Key by DH (although not sure who can afford the HC--I liked how DE published Thun'da with reprints and new stories within--perhaps DE could to the same format with Gold Key--New stories with classic reprints?).

Turok and Magnus (and Solar) have been given the most exposure/life in comics. I did like that Valiant Comics kept Magnus in his original setting (although the Acclaim run gave an interesting premise as a Terminator character that goes back in time to prevent the world from becoming his future). I did like how Valiant (and everyone since) has renamed Turok: Son of Stone into better title Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (I also liked how Valiant kept Turok's Gold Key stories intact--Tim Truman's creation of Andy, grandson of Andar, was a great addition as well as Truman's expanding supporting cast in Turok's run, both in the present and back in the Lost Valley). I did not like the Teen Turok that Acclaim Comics created (somehow the title of Turok is passed down from generation to generation, etc.). Solar: Man of the Atom became this unlimited god character that was ok for the first arc by Valiant but boring afterwards (every comic company since has followed this plot device). DH tried to restart Mighty Samson, which turned out ok. But by that time, the interest and delays of DH's titles lost me and others. DE tried Dr. Spektor but it ended way too soon (I did not recognize him from the old stories). Conceptually, these Gold Key characters are great. Perhaps if they are brought more in line with the original settings/premises, DE will find some success with these characters--especially those like MARS Patrol (military science fiction with no limits of histories war periods) or Tragg (neat concept of our cavemen ancestors defending earth from space aliens--Sky-Gods) who have not been seen in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by rasx View Post
                Not just GIJoe but Stargate SG1! When I looked up MARS Patrol Total War, I was impressed. A true military science fiction story would be great for DE to do.

The Gold Key characters span different genres. I would like to see DE adopt the same strategy of one-shots/mini-series they use on their pulp characters to the Gold Key characters. Maybe one month a Gold Key Presents Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, then next month Spektor: Occult Detective, followed by Magnus: Robot Fighter, Tragg: Sky-god Slayer, Dagar: Invincible Barbarian, Samson: Mighty Survivalist, MARS Patrol: Total Warriors, etc. DE please don't abandon these ideas/concepts as they are unique to comic marketplace.

I just went through my comic collection and enjoyed re-reading some of the great 1970s Turok: Son of Stone and Occult Files of Dr. Spektor comics. Loved the painted cover art (almost photographic images drawing me in to read the stories inside) and loved the originality of settings. There was nothing wrong with the settings of the original stories. New stories can be told from those settings and make us older fans and newer fans that are being exposed to the HC reprints of Gold Key by DH (although not sure who can afford the HC--I liked how DE published Thun'da with reprints and new stories within--perhaps DE could to the same format with Gold Key--New stories with classic reprints?).

Turok and Magnus (and Solar) have been given the most exposure/life in comics. I did like that Valiant Comics kept Magnus in his original setting (although the Acclaim run gave an interesting premise as a Terminator character that goes back in time to prevent the world from becoming his future). I did like how Valiant (and everyone since) has renamed Turok: Son of Stone into better title Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (I also liked how Valiant kept Turok's Gold Key stories intact--Tim Truman's creation of Andy, grandson of Andar, was a great addition as well as Truman's expanding supporting cast in Turok's run, both in the present and back in the Lost Valley). I did not like the Teen Turok that Acclaim Comics created (somehow the title of Turok is passed down from generation to generation, etc.). Solar: Man of the Atom became this unlimited god character that was ok for the first arc by Valiant but boring afterwards (every comic company since has followed this plot device). DH tried to restart Mighty Samson, which turned out ok. But by that time, the interest and delays of DH's titles lost me and others. DE tried Dr. Spektor but it ended way too soon (I did not recognize him from the old stories). Conceptually, these Gold Key characters are great. Perhaps if they are brought more in line with the original settings/premises, DE will find some success with these characters--especially those like MARS Patrol (military science fiction with no limits of history's war periods) or Tragg (neat concept of our cavemen ancestors defending earth from space aliens--Sky-Gods) who have not been seen in a while.
                Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 11-22-2014, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X