Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gold Key characters relaunch with Dynamite!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about a Turok and Tonto crossover?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDinosaur View Post
      What about a Turok and Tonto crossover?
      The original Turok (Gold Key) existed in a time before Europeans began to settle in the Americas, so it would have to involve time travel, or somehow if they both meet in the Lost Land, then time passes differently there. It'd be a shame if they didn't include the Lone Ranger too.

Comment

TUROK: DINOSAUR HUNTER #1
        Featured Item!
        Covers: Bart Sears, Joe Bennett, Jae Lee and Jonathan Case
        Writer: Greg Pak
        Art: Mirko Colak
        ON SALE DATE: February 5
        THE GOLD KEY UNIVERSE BEGINS HERE! Classic Characters by some of Comics Hottest Creators! - Magnus, Solar, Turok and Dr. Spektor! Dynamite is proud to present an all-new, ongoing adventure from superstar GREG PAK (Batman/Superman, World War Hulk) and incredible artist MIRKO COLAK (Red Skull: Incarnate, Conan)! Shunned from his tribe, a young Native American named Turok fights to survive, making a lonely life for himself in the unforgiving forest.
        But his hard-won cunning and survival skills face the ultimate test when man-eating THUNDER LIZARDS attack his people! Why are dinosaurs here? How have they survived? And will Turok use his abilities to save a society that's taken everything away from him?

Points I got from this solicit:
        * there's a GK Universe
        * a younger Turok, who's story sounds similar to the animated movie.
        * the dinosaurs come too Turok, there's no mention of a Lost Land.

Comment

Wonder who's the armoured knight in the background?

Originally posted by rasx View Post

Points I got from this solicit:
          * there's a GK Universe
          * a younger Turok, who's story sounds similar to the animated movie.
          * the dinosaurs come too Turok, there's no mention of a Lost Land.

Comment

The armored figure is Valda, the Iron Maiden!

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
              The armored figure is Valda, the Iron Maiden!
              Wrong book, the Valda you're talking about is from a DC book called Arak son of Thunder.

Comment

And still not a hint WHEN this is taking place.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  And still not a hint WHEN this is taking place.
                  What, the Turok book?

TUROK: DINOSAUR HUNTER #1
                  Covers: Bart Sears, Joe Bennett, Jae Lee and Jonathan Case
                  Writer: Greg Pak
                  Art: Mirko Colak
                  ON SALE DATE: February 5
                  THE GOLD KEY UNIVERSE BEGINS HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                    What, the Turok book?
                    OK, I more or less assume there's was some sort of "big bang" or something, and "the Gold Key Universe begins" (for all I know, Solar may have been involved with that). Also assuming Turok wasn't around for that part of "begins", so... when? Pre-Columbian North America? The 1800s? The 1990s? Feb. 5, 2014?
                    Last edited by pulphero; 11-16-2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

OK, I more or less assume there's was some sort of "big bang" or something, and "the Gold Key Universe begins" (for all I know, Solar may have been involved with that). Also assuming Turok wasn't around for that part of "begins", so... when? Pre-Columbian North America? The 1800s? The 1990s? Feb. 5, 2014?
                      I'm guessing its eighter pre-Columbian America or early Post-Columbian.

Comment

I'm guessing its eighter pre-Columbian America or early Post-Columbian.
                        If it were "Son of Stone", I'd feel pretty confident about that, but since it's "Dinosaur Hunter", I'm not sure whether they're hewing closer to the recent Dark Horse iteration of the character, or the 1990s Valiant iteration. Since all we see on the cover besides Turok and dinosaurs is a silhouette of a helmeted figure that is inconsistent with the pre/post Columbian era, that's no help either. If others of his tribe were depicted as all wearing traditional buckskins. etc. at least that would be confirmation that the series takes place in the past.

Another thing - since the dinosaurs are attacking the Indian tribe, we don't know if they're time-displaced, or merely escapees from some 'lost land' (having survived extinction) or some semi-permanently located time rift/dimensional hole. We do know that Turok is exiled from his tribe, so perhaps he becomes a "dinosaur hunter" in an effort to track the dinos back to their source and destroy the nest or herd (and what he may find in doing so might exceed his expectations or understanding); this may be a way of redeeming himself in the eyes of his people.

Comment

If it were "Son of Stone", I'd feel pretty confident about that, but since it's "Dinosaur Hunter", I'm not sure whether they're hewing closer to the recent Dark Horse iteration of the character, or the 1990s Valiant iteration. Since all we see on the cover besides Turok and dinosaurs is a silhouette of a helmeted figure that is inconsistent with the pre/post Columbian era, that's no help either. If others of his tribe were depicted as all wearing traditional buckskins. etc. at least that would be confirmation that the series takes place in the past.

Another thing - since the dinosaurs are attacking the Indian tribe, we don't know if they're time-displaced, or merely escapees from some 'lost land' (having survived extinction) or some semi-permanently located time rift/dimensional hole. We do know that Turok is exiled from his tribe, so perhaps he becomes a "dinosaur hunter" in an effort to track the dinos back to their source and destroy the nest or herd (and what he may find in doing so might exceed his expectations or understanding); this may be a way of redeeming himself in the eyes of his people.
                          I think "Dinosaur Hunter" is a more commercially successful name. It actually tells you the customer what to expect. I remember as a kid seeing "Son of Stone" wondering why he is called that name.

As much as I would want a continuation of one of the previous runs of Turok, particularly my love of Tim Truman's run in Valiant, it is better that a true reboot exist. DE could always reprint previous runs in the form of TPBs, especially that Tim Truman run! It is best that this Turok series not be a continuation of a 1970s series (only a few of us remember the 70s). The Dark Horse series was so short lived. The Valiant was tied into the other Valiant/Unity story-lines and the Acclaim run was confusing to those following the Valiant run. DE is correct with this character (as well as Magnus, Specktor, and Solar) to restart these titles at ground level. Putting Turok in an established time period and having him encounter dinosaurs from some method (Valiant had time-eggs, the original Gold Key run had the Lost Valley, Dark Horse had some lost time dimension). We will see which direction Turok will encounter his dinosaurs. On a primal level, Turok is going to be a Native American that hunts dinosaurs, Magnus is going to fight robots, and Specktor is going to investigate the occult--what more is needed except good stories and art?

Looking at the cover, I see Turok facing down some Raptors. Didn't paleontologists after the beloved Jurassic Park movie recently reveal that the raptors had feathers? I know it looks more menacing on a primal level to have lizards try to eat you but more recent dinosaur findings have indicated that they were more of bird ancestors. Hopefully, the artists will conduct some research on the latest findings of all dinosaurs for this series.

I am getting Turok, Magnus, and Specktor!! Thank you DE!
                          Last edited by Blinky McQuade; 11-17-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Solar's accident can cause a time-rift, that causes both Turok, his tribe and the dinosaurs, to be displaced in history.

Comment

That armored knight in the background is suspect, I'm really intrigued by him and can't wait for this to launch. Dynamite better advertise the hell out of this as this line of books could be the get to get us into the #4 slot with a high success.
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Wrong book, the Valda you're talking about is from a DC book called Arak son of Thunder.
                                Yes, that was a joke. Alas, we never got the planned and announced Valda miniseries. Loved Arak, though!

(Yay, someone other than me remembers Arak! I liked it a lot more--so much more historical/literary stuff--than the recent Demon Knights series.)

Comment

Working...
                                X