Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gold Key characters relaunch with Dynamite!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blinky McQuade View Post
    I think "Dinosaur Hunter" is a more commercially successful name. It actually tells you the customer what to expect. I remember as a kid seeing "Son of Stone" wondering why he is called that name.
    "Two-Rock, Son of Stone". Short for Son of the Stone Age. Granted, you don't hear the term "Stone Age" much these days except in reruns of The Flintstones. In the original concept, Turok was the invader in the dinosaurs' world. He was more hunted than hunter. Since you brought up the naming of names, however... I always wondered why Dr. Solar was atomic-powered and not solar-powered. Shouldn't he have been named "Dr. Atomic"? Come to think of it, Kal-El gets his power from solar energy, so shouldn't he be more accurately named "Solarman" instead of "Superman"?

As much as I would want a continuation of one of the previous runs of Turok, particularly my love of Tim Truman's run in Valiant, it is better that a true reboot exist. It is best that this Turok series not be a continuation of a 1970s series (only a few of us remember the 70s). DE is correct with this character (as well as Magnus, Specktor, and Solar) to restart these titles at ground level.
    Actually, TUROK, SON OF STONE began as a Dell comic book in the mid-1950s, and arguably had its greatest popularity in its first 10 years of existence. Gold Key did not become the publisher until issue #30 (December 1962) when Western Publishing (who had always packaged the title for Dell) struck out on its own due to a disagreement with Dell over money. The book eventually had a run of 125 issues and was cancelled with the January 1980 issue. Even the Valiant run is 20 years old now!

DE could always reprint previous runs in the form of TPBs, especially that Tim Truman run! The Valiant was tied into the other Valiant/Unity story-lines and the Acclaim run was confusing to those following the Valiant run.
    I think you just mentioned the reason Dynamite probably won't be reprinting any of the Valiant run. (A) too many crossovers (with characters now owned by other people) peppered through the run means they would need to skip issues (perhaps to the point that what remains may not make sense), and (B) since DE is rebooting from scratch, why confuse new readers with a different, unrelated Turok?

On a primal level, Turok is going to be a Native American that hunts dinosaurs, Magnus is going to fight robots, and Specktor is going to investigate the occult--what more is needed except good stories and art?
    Yeah, just that little detail. Boy, if only it were as easy as you make it sound. Not that good stories and art are any guarantee of success in the marketplace, mind you -- more's the pity.

Looking at the cover, I see Turok facing down some Raptors. Didn't paleontologists after the beloved Jurassic Park movie recently reveal that the raptors had feathers? I know it looks more menacing on a primal level to have lizards try to eat you but more recent dinosaur findings have indicated that they were more of bird ancestors. Hopefully, the artists will conduct some research on the latest findings of all dinosaurs for this series.
    I wouldn't count on it. Nor does it ruin my enjoyment of the series if they don't. It's all theory and speculation, anyway, since feathers and skin don't fossilize. I'm not going to waste any time worrying about stuff like that any more than I care what color the dinosaurs are, how they survived extinction, or the specific physics of any time travel that may be involved. If DE says they're lizards, then lizards it is.
    Last edited by pulphero; 11-18-2013, 11:54 PM.

Comment

G'day,

Heres some more speculation. Have a look at the artwork just up on the website. Turok has metal weapons which appear to be iron or steel. I don't think pre European Native Americans had such technology. They had copper but not iron. So could Turok be set in the post apocalypse world of Mighty Samson? Perhaps seperated by several centuries? Remember Magnus is supposed to be set in 4000 AD. theres plenty of time for civilisation to fall and rise again.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post

I wouldn't count on it. Nor does it ruin my enjoyment of the series if they don't. It's all theory and speculation, anyway, since feathers and skin don't fossilize. I'm not going to waste any time worrying about stuff like that any more than I care what color the dinosaurs are, how they survived extinction, or the specific physics of any time travel that may be involved. If DE says they're lizards, then lizards it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
        G'day,

Heres some more speculation. Have a look at the artwork just up on the website. Turok has metal weapons which appear to be iron or steel. I don't think pre European Native Americans had such technology. They had copper but not iron. So could Turok be set in the post apocalypse world of Mighty Samson? Perhaps seperated by several centuries? Remember Magnus is supposed to be set in 4000 AD. theres plenty of time for civilisation to fall and rise again.

ta

Ralph
        I doubt it, I think it would be early post-European America, but there has to be some sort of time anomaly too make all these heroes from different eras, share a universe.

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
          I doubt it, I think it would be early post-European America, but there has to be some sort of time anomaly too make all these heroes from different eras, share a universe.
          Not really. They can share the same universe in different time periods. Of course, time travel would be necessary for any sort of crossover story.

Comment

I kind of hope it's pre-European America, just because, well, more chance of a happy ending. Maybe his tribe could make it into the Lost Land?

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
              I kind of hope it's pre-European America, just because, well, more chance of a happy ending. Maybe his tribe could make it into the Lost Land?
              Not sure what you mean by "happy ending" (but presumably nothing to do with Native American massage parlors... ) Like, maybe Turok's world turns out to be some alternate timeline where Europeans never colonized the Americas, and subsequently decimated its native peoples and cultures? But then it could hardly be part of the same universe as Solar, Magnus, and Dr. Spektor... ?

Come to think of it, I can hardly recall the last time I saw ANY sort of happy ending in comic books. At best, there seem to be only temporary reprieves where evil is kept nominally at bay...

Comment

http://www.newsarama.com/19719-dynam...-barbiere.html
                A nice article about the new Solar series.

Comment

Might be more interesting that what DH did with Solar

And who knows down the road, maybe some Gold Key cameos, and gathering, as Project Superpowers, and Masks

How about Doctor Solar Year One

PS: The Doctor needs a belt; all red is no good for me

Last edited by Renaud; 12-04-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
                    http://www.newsarama.com/19719-dynam...-barbiere.html
                    A nice article about the new Solar series.
                    I found it amusing that Solar is being referred to as a "pulp science" hero and the interviewer refers to "the pulp roots of the character". It usually doesn't bother me to see radio, movie serial, newspaper comic strip, and Golden Age comic book characters referred to as "pulp" as shorthand for anything conceived by any form of entertainment media in the 1920s/30s/40s or even 50s, but this is proof if any were needed that "pulp" has now become a meaningless buzz-word. Doctor Solar arrived on the scene nearly a decade after the death of the pulps. I guess the next thing we'll see is stuff like Bruce Lee and 1970s blaxploitation movies being referred to as "pulp" (who knows, maybe it's already happened somewhere and I just missed it). You don't really even know what a pulp is, do you, Mr. Barbiere? He certainly can't have read any, if he thinks Solar in any way resembles a character from the pulps. I guess that makes the X-Men "pulp science" heroes too (they first appeared 2 years after Dr. Solar). I know I can at least find the term "mutant" in some pulp sci-fi stories.

Other than that small digression, I'm looking forward to reading the series.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "happy ending" (but presumably nothing to do with Native American massage parlors... ) Like, maybe Turok's world turns out to be some alternate timeline where Europeans never colonized the Americas, and subsequently decimated its native peoples and cultures? But then it could hardly be part of the same universe as Solar, Magnus, and Dr. Spektor... ?
                      That's precisely what I mean, yes, though if Turok's tribe escapes permanently to the Lost Land, then Earth could still be the same world as the other characters'.

Comment

That's precisely what I mean, yes, though if Turok's tribe escapes permanently to the Lost Land, then Earth could still be the same world as the other characters'.
                        Well, the point here is, what is the tribe "escaping" from? If dinosaurs are escaping from the Lost Land to attack the tribe, why would they move the entire tribe to the Lost Land? Of course there's no way to for the tribe to know their world will one day be invaded by European colonizers who will eventually wipe out whole tribes and cultures of Native Americans. It would seem like the Lost Land would be no place to move an entire village with families, women and children. In their world, they may have to contend with some bears, wolves, the occasional mountain lion or buffalo stampede, as opposed to being constantly beset by dozens of species of large carnivorous dinosaurs, from packs of man-sized velociraptors to 3000-pound T. Rex, who are all very very hungry. Even the larger herbivores like triceratops and stegosaurus are dangerous due to their sheer bulk and defensive armor. That can only ultimately lead to a very UNhappy ending for Turok's tribe.

In the original series, I think the whole point of the Lost Land was that Turok and Andar were LOST and couldn't find their way out and back to their tribe. They didn't stay there by choice. You're also theorizing under the assumption that the Lost Land may be a sort of dimensional pocket that coexists in all time periods, but we don't necessarily know that to be the case here, either. It would be a little weird to me if the Lost Land exists as a permanent fixture in the world of Solar/Spektor, Mighty Samson and Magnus as well - it makes the Turok series less unique. It may be that the Lost Land is some sort of chrono-phasing pocket anomaly that can appear in various different time eras temporarily, fading in and out, Brigadoon-like. But even if that's the case, there no need for Turok's entire tribe to be living there for Turok to have an occasional crossover with the other Gold Key characters.

Comment

Well, the point here is, what is the tribe "escaping" from?
                          Future genocide. Yes, they wouldn't know about it, but I think they'd deal better with the perils of the Lost Land than what the real Native Americans had to deal with when the Europeans came. Dinosaurs don't try to infect you with smallpox.

It may be that the Lost Land is some sort of chrono-phasing pocket anomaly that can appear in various different time eras temporarily, fading in and out, Brigadoon-like. But even if that's the case, there no need for Turok's entire tribe to be living there for Turok to have an occasional crossover with the other Gold Key characters.
                          A Brigadoon-like world would be even better; his tribe could live there and develop in their own way, with their own civilization showing up in some future era -- not necessarily have the same Turok meet the other Gold Key characters, but maybe a descendant from the world of the Lost Land.

Comment

Future genocide. Yes, they wouldn't know about it, but I think they'd deal better with the perils of the Lost Land than what the real Native Americans had to deal with when the Europeans came. Dinosaurs don't try to infect you with smallpox.
                            Pretty sure the tribe would have no concept of what smallpox is, but how do we really know what diseases or infections dinosaurs might carry that might be transmittable to humans? Most viruses begin in the animal population, especially birds - and we all know how closely dinosaurs are related to birds. Or maybe they're like Komodo Dragons, their mucus festering with virulent bacteria that will infect the slightest wound.

Turok's tribe doesn't know the Europeans are coming, and even if they did, while they would appear strange to them, at least they are recognizably human. Then again, once they did arrive, it wasn't with guns blazing in an obvious attempt to wipe them out (that only happened later). On the other hand, dinosaurs are pretty obviously dangerous monsters on first sight to them; no need for political analysis of their motives. Even IF they knew, somehow (tribal shaman's vision of the future?) of the ultimate fate of Native Americans after colonization, I think most in the tribe would prefer taking their chances with the Europeans. At least the Indians had numerical superiority at first. If they moved to the Lost Land, the dinosaurs would outnumber them. The situation would seem to be a lot more dire for humans than it was in even the days of cave bears, sabretooth cats and wooly mammoths. Realistically, how long can a small tribe armed only with spears, arrows and tomahawks last in a world overrun by megapredators? A few decades, at best, if that? If they were able to deal with those problems effectively and still thrive, then they shouldn't have any problems dealing with Europeans.

A Brigadoon-like world would be even better; his tribe could live there and develop in their own way, with their own civilization showing up in some future era -- not necessarily have the same Turok meet the other Gold Key characters, but maybe a descendant from the world of the Lost Land.
                            Well, we know Turok survives in that world because he's the hero, the protagonist, the main character. Presumably he's the fittest for survival amongst his tribe - that's why he's the "Dinosaur Hunter", otherwise the title character of the book would be some other Indian hero. But there's really no need for his tribe to be there, in fact, they're much better off, at least in the short term (and nobody makes immediate life-or-death choices based on how it might affect future generations unborn) right where they are. Sucks for Turok if he gets stuck there and can never return to his tribe, but the hero's burden is heavy and all that.

Comment

http://www.newsarama.com/19735-mark-...y-revival.html
                              Doctor Spektor baby!

Comment

Re smallpox, I'm talking about the deliberate spreading of the disease to kill the natives by the Europeans--not anything unintended. It's not relevant that Turok's tribe would know about smallpox any more than it would be relevant for a Jewish community in Germany in the 1800s to know about the future Nazi gas chambers, but again, if they could survive somehow, that would be cool. And since we know about the Native American genocide now, in fiction, having a tribe survive--in its own land, without being a conquered remnant with centuries of being second- or third-class citizens to overcome--would be really cool. And since there is going to be something apparently showing stories involving the Lost Land and stories about a fictional present/future Earth, then, again, I think that having Turok's pre-Columbian tribe able to thrive and grow and not be subjected to those horrors would be a very cool story to read. Not really sure what else to add here.

Surely I am not the only one, when reading stories that involve pre-Columbian Native American civilizations, for whom awareness of their whole world's future destruction is almost inescapable? It's like reading adventures of people from vanished Krypton: No matter how cool the world is, or their adventures are, or how wonderful the civilization shown is, you know the planet's going to explode X number of years later. And since, in fiction, we can at least imagine better things than we have in reality, and the concept of Turok and the Lost Land lends itself to travel to another world--and we know we're going to see the future of all of this in the other Gold Key titles--well, then, why the hell not have something good happen to his tribe, rather than them all dying or dealing with all the other crap all the other real-world tribes had happen in real life? (I think they did that with Arak's tribe, the Quontauka, and established that they had stayed safe in a secret homeland until the 1940s when they sent Flying Fox to join the Young All-Stars.)

Comment

Working...
                                X