Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gold Key characters relaunch with Dynamite!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since they're doing them all in one universe, it would be interesting (and not at all impossible) to see how the other series would fit into one timeline. There could be a post-apocalyptic age for Samson, and before or after that Robinson, etc.

Comment

• Subtlety is what's needed. They should concentrate their efforts on building textured and interesting worlds for the individual characters and titles. Where connections are referenced, they should be nuanced background-y sort of things. An obsession with crossover stories was, in my opinion, the ruin of Valiant the first time around. And not coincidentally, what's largely turning me off to the Marvel Universe in the last 5 years or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
        Eh, different strokes and all that. I read a number of IDW titles (nearly as many as DE's titles) but none of the ones you named (except for Ben 10). For Boom Studios, I only read Robocop and Sons of Anarchy (now that Planet of the Apes is gone). I haven't done any serious research looking at Diamond's top sellers or anything, but at my local shop, none of the titles you mention sell any better than the average Dynamite title, with the exception of TMNT, MLP, and Adventure Time. Most Dark Horse (except Star Wars), IDW and Valiant titles sell about the same, a few copies each.

And obviously, Dynamite is not tapping the all-ages audience like IDW and Boom, either.
        and obviously dynamite isn't a well promoted publisher....nor do they really have a lineup that caters to all tastes among comic book readers

but they are the odd publisher(without being too odd like avatar press)in the industry and with this gold key relaunch I'm almost thinking about getting into a dynamite title at last(Doctor Spektor Has Me Interested and despite not being a gold key revival Blood Queen has drawn my attention too)

unfortunately with how many good comics are coming out these days i can't just give everyone a chance so dynamite has to be ignored

Comment

• nine times out of ten i usually get my enjoyment from IDW, Dark Horse and Dynamite titles than i do the big too. Transformers, TMNT, Captain Midnight, Doc Savage, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, The Shadow...i eagerly await each new issue.

if money is an issue you just have to look at what you're reading and why. if you're reading X-Men are you doing so out of habit or because you love the current storylines?

Comment

• Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
            nine times out of ten i usually get my enjoyment from IDW, Dark Horse and Dynamite titles than i do the big too. Transformers, TMNT, Captain Midnight, Doc Savage, Mark Waid's Green Hornet, The Shadow...i eagerly await each new issue.

if money is an issue you just have to look at what you're reading and why. if you're reading X-Men are you doing so out of habit or because you love the current storylines?
            In the case of Wolverine and the X-Men, or Amazing X-Men, definitely the latter.

Comment

• As A Fan Of Superheroes And The Horror Genre...Would I Be All Set Up By Picking Up Dr.Spektor And Solar: Man Of The Atom?(Already gonna be getting the chaos mini series by Tim Seeley)

and is it worth dumping any of the following to make room

Loki Agent Of Asgard
              All New Ultimates
              Ultimate FF
              Amazing Spider-Man(Learning To Crawl)

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackKnightMare View Post
                As A Fan Of Superheroes And The Horror Genre...Would I Be All Set Up By Picking Up Dr.Spektor And Solar: Man Of The Atom?(Already gonna be getting the chaos mini series by Tim Seeley)

and is it worth dumping any of the following to make room

Loki Agent Of Asgard
                All New Ultimates
                Ultimate FF
                Amazing Spider-Man(Learning To Crawl)
                Well, the Marvel titles should be easier to find in some dealer's $1 box a year or two down the road. Finding Dynamite titles in those bins is always spotty because most dealers don't order enough copies to have too many left over. Just sayin'.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  Well, the Marvel titles should be easier to find in some dealer's $1 box a year or two down the road. Finding Dynamite titles in those bins is always spotty because most dealers don't order enough copies to have too many left over. Just sayin'.
                  well the problem is i order my comics online and there are no comic book shops close enough for me to gamble finding stuff in a dealers cheap box

which is why i asked if the dynakey titles would be worth the gamble.....But I'm not sure if i can drop any of those just yet unfortunately if i wanna read anything from dynamite i need to dump some stuff
                  Last edited by BlackKnightMare; 04-02-2014, 11:18 AM. Reason: Additional things to say

Comment

well the problem is i order my comics online and there are no comic book shops close enough for me to gamble finding stuff in a dealers cheap box

which is why i asked if the dynakey titles would be worth the gamble.....But I'm not sure if i can drop any of those just yet unfortunately if i wanna read anything from dynamite i need to dump some stuff
                    What I do is keep a list on my computer of stuff I would buy but can't afford right now. Then once a year I hit the bargain boxes at a local convention. I also look online a year later at mycomicshop.com
                    & buy stuff on sale.

Comment

• It's hard to say because none of the titles you're talking about (except Loki) has actually come out yet. So really you're just going on faith as far as how much you like the character or creative team.

Personally, I think the Ultimate U is a dead-end destined to be cancelled within a year or two. This is what, the third relaunch on this line? That should be telling you something. My prediction would be they'll eventually bring Miles Morales Spidey into the 616-MU and cancel the rest of the line.

Then I looked at what I just typed and laughed to myself when I thought about how many times the Gold Key characters had been relaunched.

Like I say, comics is like faith. Depends on your personal beliefs and history.

Comment

• well seeing as my pull list is made months in advance on TFAW.Com

I'm basically taking a risky gamble every month and I'm not sure if I'd end up regretting dumping anything for the Dynakey

Comment

well seeing as my pull list is made months in advance on TFAW.Com

I'm basically taking a risky gamble every month and I'm not sure if I'd end up regretting dumping anything for the Dynakey
                          You're definitely at a disadvantage ordering printed comics online. If when the first issue arrives in the mail, you sit down and read it and think "Wow, that really sucked", then you realize you've already ordered the next two issues.

Don't know what to tell you. Honestly, in your situation, you might be better off going digital. At least then your reaction time would improve so you wouldn't waste as much money. You could also wait a week or so from when the book is released and read some online previews and reviews.

Comment

You're definitely at a disadvantage ordering printed comics online. If when the first issue arrives in the mail, you sit down and read it and think "Wow, that really sucked", then you realize you've already ordered the next two issues.

Don't know what to tell you. Honestly, in your situation, you might be better off going digital. At least then your reaction time would improve so you wouldn't waste as much money. You could also wait a week or so from when the book is released and read some online previews and reviews.
                            I've Sometimes waited on an issue and then went back only to discover it sold out....

I Don't Really Do Digital Honestly and the only stuff i get digitally are likely mini's or one shot issues for the most part(when i get an itunes card)

too many reviews these days delve into spoilers so if i ever had any thoughts about getting a certain book i should avoid looking at reviews(takes the fun out of reading it)
                            Last edited by BlackKnightMare; 04-03-2014, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I've Sometimes waited on an issue and then went back only to discover it sold out....

I Don't Really Do Digital Honestly and the only stuff i get digitally are likely mini's or one shot issues for the most part(when i get an itunes card)

too many reviews these days delve into spoilers so if i ever had any thoughts about getting a certain book i should avoid looking at reviews(takes the fun out of reading it)
                              Well then, it is what it is, I guess. You pay your money and roll the dice, and hope your instincts are good. Nobody can review the books for you before they come out.

Comment

Well then, it is what it is, I guess. You pay your money and roll the dice, and hope your instincts are good. Nobody can review the books for you before they come out.
                                i understand that and trust me the risks in ordering in advance but if you aren't going digital it helps to know in advance what you are getting

my current pull list(current and upcoming books)

Amazing Spider-Man
                                Amazing Spider-Man LTC
                                Loki: Agent Of Asgard
                                All New Ultimates
                                Ultimate FF
                                Silver Surfer
                                All New Ghost Rider
                                The Punisher
                                Ms.Marvel
                                Adventure Time
                                MLP: FIM
                                MLP: FF

If I Could Easily Drop 3-4 To Fit In Solar Spektor Vampirella And The Blood Queen I Would At This Point But I'd Feel Bad About it later no doubt(Though to be fair the covers hooked me in with Blood Queen So I'll Most Likely Not Even bother since the writer's known for zenescope crap)
                                Last edited by BlackKnightMare; 04-03-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X