Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnus: Robot Fighter series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnus: Robot Fighter series MEGATHREAD!

9/10.

This version of Magnus was well done. It kept the core concepts & updated for today. The writing was perfect at introducing the character & making him likeable.

The art was great at portraying the two different worlds Magnus was in.

A great start for Magnus!

I read a little bit of the Valiant era, but that's the extent of my familiarity with the character and I don't remember much anymore. I thought this #1 was terrific. Fred Van Lente found a pitch perfect tone and balance between serious and fun, and Cory Smith's art was wonderful. His North Am reminds me of Rick Leonardi's "Spider-Man 2099." Really enjoyed this debut and am on board for future issues.

Comment

Well this "old fart" has read all Magnus since his Gold Key days in the 60's/Valiant & Acclaim in the 90's/Dark Horse from a few years ago.

I actually liked all versions of the character. Probably my favorite non DC/Marvel comic book hero...

Comment

So far nothing about the Turok or Magnus books is grabbing me on an emotional level. Don't know why, but I sort of feel like the detached observer here: "Uh-huh, OK, that's interesting". Maybe it's just a case of too many reboots under the bridge for these characters.

I'm hoping for a better response to Doctor Solar. That was always the one title that I felt transcended the original Gold Key execution on a conceptual level. None of the various tweaks in past reboots has ever strayed too far from the core idea, so fingers crossed.

Comment

G'day,

Rather liked Magnus, I thought it was at least intriguing so I'll be buying the next few issues to see were it will go.
          However ever I'm less sure about Turok. I realise it some type of alternative universe but a Crusader knight that believed in something called a Christian language???!! No Knight would have believed in such thing, the Crusaders came from all over Europe. Even if he was English he would have spoken French since English rule was Norman rule at the time. I suppose the writer was trying to show Christian bigotry or some such but all he has done is show his own ignorance and bigotry.

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          So far nothing about the Turok or Magnus books is grabbing me on an emotional level. Don't know why, but I sort of feel like the detached observer here: "Uh-huh, OK, that's interesting". Maybe it's just a case of too many reboots under the bridge for these characters.

I'm hoping for a better response to Doctor Solar. That was always the one title that I felt transcended the original Gold Key execution on a conceptual level. None of the various tweaks in past reboots has ever strayed too far from the core idea, so fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
            I realise it some type of alternative universe but a Crusader knight that believed in something called a Christian language???!! No Knight would have believed in such thing, the Crusaders came from all over Europe. Even if he was English he would have spoken French since English rule was Norman rule at the time. I suppose the writer was trying to show Christian bigotry or some such but all he has done is show his own ignorance and bigotry.

Ralph
            I think you're taking the expression "Christian language" far too literally. Just take it as "A language I recognize as spoken by Christians" (i.e. a European language or latin) as opposed to the 'gibberish' spoken by uneducated godless heathens, the enemy Saracens, the hated Jews, etc.

Comment

i thought this first issue was alright. i don't have much knowledge of the character though. i never read the Gold Key stuff and i read maybe two or three issues of the Dark Horse version.

Comment

Loved the emotion in issue number 1 when Magnus couldn't stand being told to relax, I truly felt that moment. I'm wondering if initial orders for this book will be up near the 30k Turok got....?
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                  Loved the emotion in issue number 1 when Magnus couldn't stand being told to relax, I truly felt that moment. I'm wondering if initial orders for this book will be up near the 30k Turok got....?
                  Magnus #1...27,497.

#2 was great. This version of Magnus is rapidly becoming as good as the early Valiant era...

Comment

That's a solid number, not as good as Turok but a solid number regardless. I Really enjoyed Magnus #1 and #2, both books really dragged me in and wouldn't let me go. Lot's of questions to be answered though....
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator

Comment

The second issue of Magnus was pretty darn awesome! I was hoping to see Magnus and the other human team up but as of right now it looks like she's not exactly on his side and may be causing him some intense troubles moving forward. Great read!
                      Dynamite Entertainment
                      Forum Administrator

Comment

Just read issue #1 of MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER and really liked it. I used to by the original comic by GOLD KEY when I was a kid, and later the VALIANT version. Loved the art, and the uniform was a new but nice tribute to the original one.

Making Russ Magnus a modern day school coach who finds himself thrust into a future North Am is an interesting twist to the character. Also having 1A be a computer with an old mans face is almost like....dare I say it.....a reference to GOD? We'll see.

Where MAGNUS got his strength is still to be seen. I don't recall it ever being explained in the GOLD KEY version. VALIANT explained it as he was the son of the Harbinger TORQUE, but it was never really explained where TORQUE got the strength.

Looking forward to MAGNUS #2.

MAKE MINE DYNAMITE!

Starrxxfoxx

Comment

Originally posted by Starrxxfoxx View Post
                          Where MAGNUS got his strength is still to be seen. I don't recall it ever being explained in the GOLD KEY version.
                          In the Gold Key version, we were given to believe that Magnus got "steel-smashing strength" from being raised by old 1-A, who obviously raised Magnus in the traditional manner of Doc Savage, and trained him in a multidisciplinary form of martial arts that allowed him to sense and strike robots at their weakest points. He obviously knew a lot about metal fatigue, and also used ways of turning the robots' own strength against them, like jujitsu. If you look closely at those old Russ Manning comics, I don't think they ever really showed Magnus punching robots and denting them. True enough that there are the limits of physics to consider when trying to accept this concept, but I guess Russ Manning figured if real martial artists could break bricks using only their hands, then Magnus could karate-chop a robot.

Comment

The whole idea humans can possess super powers based on nothing more than knowledge, training and discipline, ala The Shadow, Doc Savage, or Magnus is fascinating, and The History Channel devoted a whole program, Stan Lee's Superhumans, to this idea. In an episode from last year called Unbreakable, we meet Shaolin monk Hu Qiong, who claims that he can focus his chi to smash steel on his head without injury, and a professor of biomechanics measures the forces at play to prove this is real, so maybe the idea of Magnus having 'steel smashing strength' isn't as far-fetched as it sounds at first.

Comment

The action in this book is intense! I'm loving the interactions between Magnus and the other human, it's making for an interesting series so far and the battles have been off the charts. Hopefully they keep up the good work on the book, it deserves a long life and these characters are finally back on store shelves with a group of creators who know what they're doing! It's wonderful to see.
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X