Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is dynamite doing enough to hype up the gold key revival?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is dynamite doing enough to hype up the gold key revival?

i could be wrong but aside from a few interviews with the creative team...dynamite themselves have always been quiet about the books they publish

this is no different

It's definitely a "these characters will sell themselves" approach.

Irks me a bit.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
      It's definitely a "these characters will sell themselves" approach.

Irks me a bit.
      and that's just a bad approach in general....the majority of comic book readers have no clue who any of the gold key characters are

that was why the pulp line eventually dwindled down to nothing....they expected people to recognize these obscure characters and buy them each and every month

Comment

Dynamite doesn't have the resources (advertising budget) of a big company like Marvel or DC (or when you come down to it, even an Image or a Dark Horse). Nor do they have the huge marketing staff of those companies.

Comic Shop News has probably been Dynamite's biggest supporter in that regard. Nearly every new Dynamite series gets promoted with a cover/feature story in Comic Shop News, which is carried by most comic shops and given away free to their customers. Dynamite also takes a significant amount of ad space in Diamond Comics' monthly Previews catalog. Beyond that, they can put out the promotional material to the comic book news sites, but they have no control over whether the sites choose to post those stories, or if they do, how long they'll remain spotlighted before being pushed aside by some other news stories from the bigger comics companies.

I'm sure if someone had ideas on how to promote Dynamite titles that didn't involve spending a lot more money for advertising, Nick Barrucci would be interested to hear them.

Comment

maybe try making the dynamite facebook page more than just a worthless waste of space....I'm not saying they need to make huge campaigns as big as Marvel or DC But anything is a step up from what they are doing right now

if you expect fans to do all the work for you then don't be surprised if sales start bombing hard due to not enough people knowing you exist

comic shops are few and far between so a little preview catalog isn't gonna make a dent in the fanbase they wanna attract(The Marvel/DC Superhero Fans/Valiant Hardcore)with this gold key project

Comment

it would be great if Dynamite had the advertising budget Marvel and DC do. but really, how do you get younger comic fans interested in 'older' characters like Turok and Doctor Solar. or for that matter, Doc Savage and The Shadow. Turok is the easier sell, what with the video games. but if someone was curious about Doc Savage and watched the movie...i feel like that would turn them away from Doc forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
              it would be great if Dynamite had the advertising budget Marvel and DC do. but really, how do you get younger comic fans interested in 'older' characters like Turok and Doctor Solar. or for that matter, Doc Savage and The Shadow. Turok is the easier sell, what with the video games. but if someone was curious about Doc Savage and watched the movie...i feel like that would turn them away from Doc forever.
              again expecting fans to do all the advertising didn't help the pulp characters and it won't help the gold key characters

why think otherwise? age doesn't matter when the majority of comic book readers probably aren't big fans of the characters dynamite's publishing.....at $3.99 an issue it starts to add up especially if you have a hefty pull list so picking anything dynamite related over marvel dc image idw or boom isn't easy

Comment

Just a thought. Even with today's readers being older - the chances are that more grew up reading Solar than Doc Savage.

Comment

Smaller publishers like Dynamite can't compete directly with DC and Marvel by offering the same type of product (genres, etc.) because they'll always lose. Only Marvel and DC have huge stables of company-owned characters that have been published over decades and are thus recognizable to a wide range of ages.

So they have to niche-market: try to appeal to the consumer demographics that the larger companies are ignoring. Dynamite and IDW in particular (and to a somewhat lesser extent, Dark Horse) specialize in trying to exploit nostalgia for characters (whether from movies, television, older comic books, or elsewhere) that were popular in the past. They try to grab licenses that haven't been used in while, and revive interest in them, or create new interest in younger readers who may only have heard of these properties. The fact is, none of these things will ever reach the levels of popularity they had in the past, but hope springs eternal that there may be just enough interest to sustain a comic book series for a little while. Then again, there's less science to this tactic than there is nostalgia. The publishing companies are run by human beings who have their own sense of nostalgia for these properties, which probably drives them to pursue the licenses more aggressively than logic would dictate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKnightMare View Post
                    again expecting fans to do all the advertising didn't help the pulp characters and it won't help the gold key characters

why think otherwise? age doesn't matter when the majority of comic book readers probably aren't big fans of the characters dynamite's publishing.....at $3.99 an issue it starts to add up especially if you have a hefty pull list so picking anything dynamite related over marvel dc image idw or boom isn't easy
                    if Dynamite can't or won't then it is up to the fans to help get the word out.

Comment

if Dynamite can't or won't then it is up to the fans to help get the word out.
                      Again with how the pulp line turned out can you really say the fans can do much to help? I could promote the hell out of Dynamite comics on social media and find all the comic fans I know online but in the end it wouldn't make one difference

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKnightMare View Post
                        Again with how the pulp line turned out can you really say the fans can do much to help? I could promote the hell out of Dynamite comics on social media and find all the comic fans I know online but in the end it wouldn't make one difference
                        perhaps you could offer some suggestions then.

Comment

perhaps you could offer some suggestions then.
                          Sadly there's not much the fans can do without a full on campaign to raise awareness of Dynamite comics

Comment

Working...
                          X