Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar: Man of the Atom series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar: Man of the Atom series MEGATHREAD!

Solar #1 was good. I liked the art. I like the new concepts of the hero having adult children.

I am intrigued enough to read the first arc. I just wish this issue had been as great as Magnus #1...

Well, it's going to be a little strange, having a woman starring in a book called Solar: Man of the Atom. In some ways, this could almost be a sequel to one of the earlier Jim Shooter versions of the character (he's the one that came up with the name "Philip Seleski"; the Gold Key version was a scientist named Dr. Philip Solar, whose superhero codename was "Man of the Atom"). It seems like DE's Phil Seleski could be an older version of Shooter's Valiant version (come to think of it, if the Valiant Solar had actually existed back in the early 90s, that would make him the right age to have an adult son and daughter today). Since this version of the character is also known by the codename "Man of the Atom" it's not clear where the title SOLAR comes into play, but maybe that's what Phil's daughter will call herself in her superhero identity instead of Man of the Atom.

I guess it's not too surprising that I like this one the best of the Gold Key reboots launched so far. I'm pretty sure that was the case with all of the previous reboots as well. Maybe it's just easier for most comic writers to get a handle on the character, because he's the only one of Gold Key's properties that's really a traditional superhero, with powers, a secret identity, etc.
    Last edited by pulphero; 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Solar #1 was a fun book, I would place it between Turok #1 and Magnus #1 as far as how much I enjoyed the first issue of each series. Dynamite is definitely doing a good job on this Gold Key relaunch and I'm highly enjoying the output here, can't wait for more!
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

This was certainly a set-up for his daughter to take on the mantle of being the hero, but I think this is going to cause long time fans to dislike the story and not stick with the book because Solar is not a man. Personally, I think it could be a fun and interesting story, but I also think I would prefer the main character to be a man and not a woman. I guess time shall tell if Solar returns or if this book is indeed going to be about his offspring, either way I'll be hanging out with this title for a while to see what goes down.

Comment

Having grown up as a kid buying the Gold Key comics from a rack in the drugstore, I have always loved Doctor Solar. When Shooter and Valiant had him it was my #1 favorite comic along with Harbinger, Magnus, Rai and X-O. Dynamite's version of Solar looks pretty good so far. The thinking of scientific equations to trigger the elemental and energy changes is a nice new twist. The green skin is also a great tribute to the Gold Key Solar and good to see again. And the "protective" goggles instead of a visor gives him a real "laboratory" feel.

I didn't know until a post above that his daughter was going to become Solar. But now looking back at issue 1's various covers on the last few pages I do see a female Solar. That would be OK with me. I doubt Phil is going anywhere if this happens. And I also doubt that this will be permanent.

I will buy Solar Man Of The Atom as long a DYNAMITE keeps putting it out. Magnus too!

Starrxxfoxx

Comment

Originally posted by Starrxxfoxx View Post
            The green skin is also a great tribute to the Gold Key Solar and good to see again.
            Yeah, I like the green skin. (Everybody knows that when you absorb too much radiation your skin turns fluorescent lime-green. Just ask Bruce Banner, or the Radioactive Man. And when the Silver Age Superman absorbed too much Kryptonite radiation poisoning, his skin turned lime-green.)

In the original series, Dr. Solar's body actually emitted radiation, so his costume had to be lead-lined and when he was wearing civilian clothes he had to use a special lead-based makeup to simulate his normal caucasian skin tone. Somehow I doubt they'll be dealing with those ideas in the new series, but I wouldn't mind seeing that again. It made for an interesting background detail in the original series, but I'm sure they could do something interesting with the idea in the modern series.
            Last edited by pulphero; 05-08-2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Issue #2 was AWESOME! I'm buzzing over the girl getting the powers and Solar basically dying, it's quite an interesting story and I'm wondering if he'll come back eventually. I'm sure he will since I don't see the readers adapting well to a female Solar, but still. Awesome art and fun story this month!
              Dynamite Entertainment
              Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Issue #2 of Solar: Man of the Atom was tight, my only complaint would be Erica's excessive swearing. Other than that she's adapting nicely as seen at the end of the issue and started using her powers against her attacker and the story so far has been very enjoyable, I just worry about the long-term success of this book with the female lead. Personally I don't mind it, but heaven knows that the long time fans of this characters are probably going through a mental breakdown right now because of the change. I really don't think she'll last and we'll get her father back sooner than later, probably by issue 6, but I'm enjoying it all nonetheless. Keep it up Dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                  Issue #2 was AWESOME! I'm buzzing over the girl getting the powers and Solar basically dying, it's quite an interesting story and I'm wondering if he'll come back eventually. I'm sure he will since I don't see the readers adapting well to a female Solar, but still. Awesome art and fun story this month!
                  I think the advance solicitations pretty much gave it away, plus they haven't really gone and changed the title to "Woman of the Atom" have they?

Comment

#3 was interesting. I'm intrigued by the aliens. I am curious to see how they will go forward with Phil being a "ghost" that only his daughter can see. Will she lose her powers restoring his physical body or will there be two Solars in the book?

Comment

I enjoyed it, but I can only hope Erica begins to adjust quickly to her new role. As written in the last couple of issues, the character is just too annoying in her smartass-ery. I can't imagine reading that character for issues on end.

Comment

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...n-of-the-atom/
                        More on whats in store for Erica's future.

Comment

It still feels like we're reading Erica's origin story. The problem here is that while Barbiere feels that...
                          Itís great to have the space to explore a long form character piece like thisÖand of course, superhero stuff as well. For me itís all about learning who Erica is and how her personality shapes her destiny as Solar.
                          I don't think the Gold Key titles really have TIME for the slow-unfolding "long form character piece", because ALL of these books are on the edge of cancellation-level sales. That's been a problem, from what I can see, with all of the Gold Key titles -- they need to pick up the pace, get past the "origins" phase to some sort of status quo, and then continue with major arcs with villains and lots of action if they're going to keep the B-subplots rumbling in the background. The story beats in these books need to be a lot punchier, not so drawn out.

Comment

Solar meets Dr. Spektor, I guess they really do share the same Earth.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar10-Cov-B-SubLau.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	48906

Comment

Solar meets Spektor....THAT should be interesting.

Just finished reading Solar #6 so here's a few comments.

I have NO prob with her attitude and language. I'm an adult and I've seen it all before and will continue to see it again. I'm not crazy about the white outfit without the goggles but it is what it is. And about the goggles, I commented after issue #1 about how much I liked the lab goggles look versus the visor since Phil works in a lab anyway. Well now it seems the artists are drawing the visor again. I would like to see the goggles on him, and her.

Finally, isn't it about time to name this comic Solar, Woman Of The Atom?

starrxxfoxx

Comment

Working...
                              X