Dr. Spektor series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Spektor series MEGATHREAD!

Wasn't this series supposed to be debuting this month? Has anyone seen it?

CEO/Publisher

It's in stores in May. It will be the end of May

Comment

I'm looking forward to this series to launch, especially knowing that Mark Waid is at the helm. I have NO past experience with this character and much like Dynamite has with other classic characters I'm hoping they do a good enough job to make me fall in love with this book like that have with so many others. Can't wait!
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

This is the one Gold Key title that really intrigues me. Like most other people, I have no exposure to this character. The fact Mark Waid is writing it piques my interest. The thought of a "real ghostbuster" who is using science to fight the occult sounds new and different. As long as it does not devolve into some zombie slashing series, I think it has awesome potential.

Comment

Definitely looking forward to this one!

Comment

Not a good sign:

DOCTOR SPEKTOR: MASTER OF THE OCCULT #4

FINAL ISSUE! Is Spektor the Key? Why is everything around him falling away? Will his ultimate decision destroy the universe… or unlock it? It’s magical mysterious mayhem from superstar Marl Waid (Daredevil) and Neil Edwards (Fantastic Four)!

Comment

I was planning on picking up the gold key characters as tpbs. I have fond memories of Dr. Spektor from the original Gold Key comics. I wonder if this decision is a story angle or Mark Waid leaving (maybe his commitment to Daredevil and other companies work is forcing him to cut back--he dropped Green Hornet recently). I appreciate him starting the concept and putting his strong name to the publicity of this title. Dr. Spektor provides a great variety genre to the other Gold Key concepts, so I hope it is not sales. Perhaps, DE can have Solar, Turok, Magnus, and a new fourth title called Gold Key Showcase (or something) to feature Dr. Spektor, Mighty Samson; M.A.R.S. Patrol, Dagar the Invincible and others?

Comment

Originally posted by md62 View Post
                Not a good sign:

DOCTOR SPEKTOR: MASTER OF THE OCCULT #4

FINAL ISSUE! Is Spektor the Key? Why is everything around him falling away? Will his ultimate decision destroy the universe… or unlock it? It’s magical mysterious mayhem from superstar Marl Waid (Daredevil) and Neil Edwards (Fantastic Four)!
                Wow, issue 1 hasn't even come out and the final issue is being solicited? Was the plan always to just have a mini series? Rather disappointing as non of the other gold key titles interest me. Oh well, another title from my holds dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
                  Wow, issue 1 hasn't even come out and the final issue is being solicited? Was the plan always to just have a mini series? Rather disappointing as non of the other gold key titles interest me. Oh well, another title from my holds dropped.
                  I think it's one of those cases where the reality of sales figures conflicts with the best laid schemes of mice and men. The unfortunate impression I've gotten from outside of our little circle of cheerleaders here on the DE forums is that despite getting some good promotion from internet comic book news sites, the majority of comic book consumers' reactions have been something on the order of a collective shrug. Dr. Spektor in particular, not having been a part of either Valiant or Dark Horse's revival of Gold Key characters, is nearly unknown among consumers, and seems to have fared the worst of the bunch, while the rest only seem to elicit interest in the people who were formerly into 1990s Valiant Comics bigtime. The number of still-active buyers who remember these guys from their original Gold Key run is too statistically insignificant to have much impact. Apparently (despite the popularity of Marvel's Daredevil), the name "Mark Waid" just isn't enough to convince people to buy Green Hornet, and even less so Dr. Spektor.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    I think it's one of those cases where the reality of sales figures conflicts with the best laid schemes of mice and men. The unfortunate impression I've gotten from outside of our little circle of cheerleaders here on the DE forums is that despite getting some good promotion from internet comic book news sites, the majority of comic book consumers' reactions have been something on the order of a collective shrug. Dr. Spektor in particular, not having been a part of either Valiant or Dark Horse's revival of Gold Key characters, is nearly unknown among consumers, and seems to have fared the worst of the bunch, while the rest only seem to elicit interest in the people who were formerly into 1990s Valiant Comics bigtime. The number of still-active buyers who remember these guys from their original Gold Key run is too statistically insignificant to have much impact. Apparently (despite the popularity of Marvel's Daredevil), the name "Mark Waid" just isn't enough to convince people to buy Green Hornet, and even less so Dr. Spektor.
                    I was figuring it was either an issue with sales or contract dispute with Waid. Funny, but at the Waid discussion at C2E2, he mentioned nothing about Dr. Spektor. I was at the comic shop this weekend and mentioned the ending of Dr Spektor to the owner. He was disappointed as Waid is one of his favorites, but noted "some companies" based the longevity of the series on pre-sales and don't give the titles a chance to draw people in. Just too bad. Well, after Dr Spektor, Legenderry and Battlestar Galactica end, my Dynamite holds will be down to Six Million Dollar Man (as Shadow, GH, LR and Miss Fury have all bit the dust). Glad Captain Midnight (DH) is still around.

Pulphero, you seem well connected. Do you have any sales figures on the Dynamite titles? I find it hard to believe some of the canceled titles (like Green Hornet and Shadow) are doing worse than some of the continuing titles.

Guess we will see what Nick has to offer. PSP and Justice Inc sound good. I am assuming those are going to be limited runs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
                      Do you have any sales figures on the Dynamite titles? I find it hard to believe some of the canceled titles (like Green Hornet and Shadow) are doing worse than some of the continuing titles.
                      http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

Comment

Three things to make note of. One, read the FAQs on that same site for an explanation of how the numbers were estimated. Diamond Comic Distributors doesn't publish the actual numbers, only a relative percentile ranking based on the total market share, in either unit percentage or dollar percentage. Two, the percentages shown by Diamond don't reflect the actual number of copies purchased by consumers. They only show the number of copies sold to retailers. Since Dynamite Entertainment doesn't allow return credit on unsold copies (as a rule), from DE's perspective the numbers sold to retailers reflect their actual profits, regardless of whether the retailer can sell all the copies he purchases to consumers at retail price. However, the number of UNsold copies purchased by retailers is important in determining their future orders. Unsold copies of a brand-new title tend to be on average a lot higher than later issues of the same title, after retailers have had a chance to more accurately determine the quantities they should order to remain profitable. The formula for retailers ordering new titles is largely "educated guesswork", with some "speculative risk" thrown into the mix. Third, while Diamond certainly represents the vast bulk of individual issue sales accounted for, there are other distribution routes. Not every publisher has access to these alternative routes of distribution, and not every publisher takes advantage of them. Those other routes of distribution tend to be less important when it comes to individual issues of periodicals, but more important in terms of trade paperbacks. I'm not sure if DE avails itself of any other avenues of distribution outside of Diamond Comic Distributors.

The shorter answer that no one wants to hear is that the actual hard numbers are known only to Dynamite Entertainment's accounting department, and they aren't talking. Likewise, Diamond Comics Distributors knows how many actual copies it sold in total to retailers, and how many are sitting in Diamond's warehouses, but again they aren't talking.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 05-29-2014, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I'm a bit bummed that DE came out and finally said that Dr. Spektor was going to be a mini-series after originally promoting it as an ongoing, I'm hoping they don't do this with Turok, Magnus, and Solar over time. I wonder how Mark Waid feels about this move?
                          Dynamite Entertainment
                          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                            I'm a bit bummed that DE came out and finally said that Dr. Spektor was going to be a mini-series after originally promoting it as an ongoing, I'm hoping they don't do this with Turok, Magnus, and Solar over time. I wonder how Mark Waid feels about this move?
                            I heard he just likes quitting books now when he gets to issue 4. He did the same thing with the All New Marvel Now Hulk.

Comment

But seriously, just finished reading #1 and I'd say I liked it more than the first issues of Turok and Magnus, but not as much as Solar. I do wish the artwork in all the Gold Key titles had a little more "oomph" to it. They're not bad art, per se, just a little pedestrian and not too visually exciting.

The cameos by Solar, Turok and Magnus in Doctor Spektor #1 were an interesting hook, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X