No announcement yet.

Dr. Spektor series MEGATHREAD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know how hard it was for Nicky to find a Bronze Age comic that Id NEVER read?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/...octor-spektor/

Hmm. In retrospect, the fact that even MARK WAID had never read the original Doctor Spektor should have been a red flag. No pre-sold recognition factor for sales.

I wonder if pre-orders for the first couple of issues might not actually have been higher, had they just called the character anything BUT "Doctor Spektor", but otherwise published it exactly as is, and hyped the series in press releases as "An all new original supernatural series, created by Mark Waid". I can pretty much guarantee no one would be challenging DE with "Isn't this just a ripoff of the old Gold Key character, Doctor Spektor?" The original Gold Key concept of a hero who fights against occult/supernatural menaces is pretty generic, but Waid's twist of having him be the host of a reality-TV series makes it different enough to be called an original character.
    Last edited by pulphero; 06-01-2014, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Not sure exactly where this book is going, but I've enjoyed the first two issues. Interesting choice to open the series with the protagonist being beaten up by a vampire.
      How are the other Gold Key books? I have only tried this one.

Comment

I really enjoyed the first two issues. Spektor is kind of the Batman of ghostbusters: he is rich, brilliant but broody. The second issue put a ton of parts in motion. I keep trying to figure out where it will end. Sad this is only going four issues.

I have to admit, however, there was quite a shameless plug for the rest of the Gold Key titles in issue one when the medium was describing her vision.

I wonder if Doctor Spektor may come up in a cross over. For example, imagine a crossover with Project Super Powers. Maybe one of the heroes (Black Terror, for example) is going crazy or losing it. Green Lama suspects it has something to do with Black Terror's time in the urn or connect to the greek gods and seeks out Doctor Spektor to help unravel the mystery? Or what about a string of robberies with supernatural overtones (ghosts stealing jewels) and Green Hornet or the Shadow team up with Doctor Spektor to solve it?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
          How are the other Gold Key books? I have only tried this one.
          IMO Magnus is one of the best books from any publisher. Solar is moving slowly. Could end up great or be a dud depending on the next few issues. Turok is just plain fun.

Comment

Look, is it just me, or...? Um, I just finished "reading" Doctor Spektor #3 and it was... totally incomprehensible to me. I've never really had to use quotation marks around the word reading, but in this case -- there were words on the page, and there were pictures in which something appeared to be happening. But honestly, guys, I just couldn't make heads or tails of this. It was complete gobbledegook to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              Look, is it just me, or...? Um, I just finished "reading" Doctor Spektor #3 and it was... totally incomprehensible to me. I've never really had to use quotation marks around the word reading, but in this case -- there were words on the page, and there were pictures in which something appeared to be happening. But honestly, guys, I just couldn't make heads or tails of this. It was complete gobbledegook to me.
              I found this issue rather confusing as well. I read it a couple of times and finally caught onto the idea that there is 2 "universes." Really, they could have explained that concept in a couple of pages. It is almost as if they felt they had to fill the pages.

I am disappointed that this arc seems to be "the fate of Dr Spektor". This series seems to be resigned to the fact it will be over before it begins. The first issue had Dr Spektor defeating a vampire. It would have been nice to see the first arc lead up to that confrontation rather than begin with it. I am usually pretty supportive of Dynamite's creative license, but I have to say this title has been mismanaged.

Comment

I got the two universes part all right (in fact, I think it might be more than two). It's just that the whole thing is so poorly explained, especially as to how it relates to both Spektor and Gail. Now, you wouldn't mind but I'm a guy who has read a ton of stories involving parallel realities (although this one seems to hint at both parallel realities and UNrealities). Never mind that I had just read Grant Morrison's MULTIVERSITY less than a week before and didn't have the least bit of trouble figuring out what was going on there.

There is a character who is dead, then not dead, then... I don't know, perhaps he is dead after all. I'm not sure. I really can't follow what's going on here at all.

This would have been better off leaving out trying to explain how the various Gold Key characters relate to each other in DE's scheme of things, and just telling Dr. Spektor's story.
                Last edited by pulphero; 09-07-2014, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Well, we are overdue on issue #4. These delays have done nothing to help this series. I know that it was cut to 4 issues even before #1 came out, but that was delayed as well. This was the one Gold Key series that I was really intrigued and it was dead before it even started. Now it seems like it is just being mailed in.

On a more humorous note, doesn't Dr. Spektor look like Leland from Dog the Bounty Hunter?

Comment

Working...
                  X