Clear All

• Gold Key: Alliance Rebooting to 21st Century Shared Universe

http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/STL001538
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gold Key Alliance.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	49696

Turok, Dinosaur Hunter. Magnus, Robot Fighter. Solar, Man of the Atom. The Mighty Samson. The legendary heroes whose adventures have thrilled comic book readers for over half a century are back, only this time they all share the same time and the same world - ours! In this breakneck first issue, each warrior wrestles with the perils of the twenty-first century, but a greater evil is approaching, one that will unify the legendary champions in a struggle that will change each forever. Join Eisner-nominated writer Phil Hester (Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, The Bionic Man) and rising star artist Brent Peeples (Last of the Greats, Legenderry: Green Hornet) for the latest and greatest chapter in the Gold Key saga.
    Coming April 6, 2016

I'm ready to give Dynamite a second chance at these characters. I had very mixed reactions to their first turn at bat.

I think the problem might have been (and I'm just speculating) why it didn't do well the first go round was that after the success the Valiant run in the 90's with some of the main characters like Magnus, Solar and Turok which I believe had some great writing with fun stories, it was kinda hard to follow up when Dynamite brought the characters back or it could also could have been and most of the die hard readers of that era have essentially either grown out of comics or didn't really get care for the reboots but I've been known to be wrong alot. There's also the notion the stories weren't that compelling to want to grab the reader like alot of comics did back then. It could also been when Solar was turned into a woman I don't think readers knew what to think. There's a number of scenarios but I'm sure everyone will have their own, these are just mine.

Me personally I'm all up for a this phase 2 because I love the characters I mentioned. I never read Turok but I'm sure the writer (not to familiar with Hester) learned from the mistakes of the outing but guess we'll see. I'm not sure but it sounds as if they are going to do a big story with all the ones they named instead of individual series unless it leads to singles runs for all? I'm really interested to see what they are going to do with The Mighty Samson.

Comment

I hope its not a total reboot Magnus, Solar, and Spektor looks almost the same. It would be interesting how they get Turok and Samson to be in the 21st century maybe some time traveling is involved.

Comment

After the KING miniseries non-event, I'm giving the GOLD KEY ALLIANCE thing a pass, unless I start seeing a bunch of reviews raving about it. Too many disappointing followups at DE lately like MASKS 2 and PSP: BLACKCROSS. Passed on the whole SWORDS OF SORROW thing too, except for the Vampirella/Jennifer Blood miniseries (due to Nancy Collins writing it) which was merely OK.

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
          I hope its not a total reboot Magnus, Solar, and Spektor looks almost the same. It would be interesting how they get Turok and Samson to be in the 21st century maybe some time traveling is involved.
          Is Spektor included? It looks like his picture is on the cover but he is not mentioned in the solicitation.

If they are going to do team up issues, I would rather them only pairing 2 or 3 characters and mix between gold key and some of the classic pulp characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
            Is Spektor included? It looks like his picture is on the cover but he is not mentioned in the solicitation.

If they are going to do team up issues, I would rather them only pairing 2 or 3 characters and mix between gold key and some of the classic pulp characters.
            I don't know for sure, but it sounds more like the first King miniseries or Masks. Which is weird, because you'd think they would have led off with that, instead of the other way around, with all the individual books. Just to establish that they're all in the same universe and can interact, even though some time travel must be involved. I know they already did a little of that in Spektor, but I really couldn't make heads or tails of that one. Hopefully it's explained better.

EDIT: Okay, after re-reading the description more carefully it sounds almost more like Marvel's Squadron Supreme, where it's escapees from other timelines all brought together in "our" present-day universe. I don't know if that works so well with characters like Magnus, Turok, and Samson, because they're more dependent on the worlds they inhabit... dinosaurs, robots, post-apocalyptic NYC, etc.
            Last edited by pulphero; 02-16-2016, 06:19 PM.

Comment

In the last Dr Spektor issue, they listed his prior adventures. I really wish they would have done issues on those.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                I don't know for sure, but it sounds more like the first King miniseries or Masks. Which is weird, because you'd think they would have led off with that, instead of the other way around, with all the individual books. Just to establish that they're all in the same universe and can interact, even though some time travel must be involved. I know they already did a little of that in Spektor, but I really couldn't make heads or tails of that one. Hopefully it's explained better.

EDIT: Okay, after re-reading the description more carefully it sounds almost more like Marvel's Squadron Supreme, where it's escapees from other timelines all brought together in "our" present-day universe. I don't know if that works so well with characters like Magnus, Turok, and Samson, because they're more dependent on the worlds they inhabit... dinosaurs, robots, post-apocalyptic NYC, etc.
                You're right Pulphero it sounds like each person is plucked from their respective dimension and dumped in the 21 st century without any memory of who they were and during the course of their adventure will regain it by facing similar situations.

Comment

Working...
                X