Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Marvel/DC (Indy) Superhero Books

Hello Everyone,

First, I'd like to state that Project Superpowers is my favorite Superhero book, period. In fact, you can read my fan letter at the end of P:SP Chapter 2 issue 1 (I'm Stephen). However, since I have to wait an entire month between releases I started looking into other books to appease my new found comic craving. I'd like to recommend the following two books.

1) Irredeemable - a story about a Superman equivalent hero that goes bad and starts hunting down his previous allies and killing them and their families, along with millions of others. Don't be afraid to read it, the first trade is $10 and issue 5 is $.99. The art is good and the story is a real page turner. Most importantly its not an on-going so when the story is over, its over, and you can return to P:SP.

2) Dynamo5 - this book is about a group of young adult superheros. Its basically what Ultimate X-Men was supposed to be, fun & well-drawn.

These two books can't steal P:SP's thunder because they are totally different. But I just wanted to recommend these books if your in the market for such.

+JMJ

Originally posted by stmarychnj View Post
    In fact, you can read my fan letter at the end of P:SP Chapter 2 issue 1 (I'm Stephen).
    Even in these days of "instant feedback" on message boards and blogs, there's something awesome about seeing your fan letter inside your favorite book, isn't there? I still sometimes like to go back and read my letter in LONE RANGER #2.

On the subject of recommendations, LONE RANGER is always on my recommended reading list. Whether you like super heroes, westerns, or both, LONE RANGER fits the bill. The first three arcs - "Now & Forever," "Lines Not Crossed" and "Scorched Earth" - are out in trade. The fourth arc - "Resolve" - has just begun in #17. The new arc promises the long-awaited confrontation between the Lone Ranger and Butch Cavendish, so if you have not tried it yet, now is a great time.
    DECODER RING THEATRE
    EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
    PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

I intended on reading the book sometime in the future. I was hoping for a hardcover.

Comment

I believe there are hardcover editions of all three volumes as well. It remains to be seen if the "Definitive Edition" hardcover (the first two story arcs - #1-11 - plus the 2007 FCBD story) will ever be released.

Another book I highly recommend is Red 5's ATOMIC ROBO. The first two volumes are out in trade, with Vol. 3 #3 being the current issue. If you like just plain fun adventure comics, you'll enjoy ATOMIC ROBO.
        Last edited by MadMikeyD; 08-09-2009, 08:47 PM.
        DECODER RING THEATRE
        EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
        PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
        PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Dynamo 5 is an amazing team book, and Invincible is a great solo hero book with some fun team ups. If Image marketed the Faerber stuff right they could launce and imprint that would be as coheisive and as readable as anything on the shelves today.
          Dynamite Entertainment
          Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I like both Irredeemable & Dynamo 5. However I am really excited for Dark Horse's revival of the Gold Key titles helmed by Jim Shooter.

Comment

I buy mostly Dynamite books (in trades), and P:SP gives me my superhero fix, but another book I read consistently is Hellboy (Superhero/Horror genre) published by Dark Horse. If you've just seen one or both movies, and you haven't picked up the books, I'd urge you to give them a read through. They're a completely different experience.

Mike Mignola puts a crap load of work into the Big Red Guy, and it shows. There's a lot of "paranormal investigator" comics out there but I don't know if there's another one done with so much care, or as mired, as this one is, in all kinds of folklore from places around the world. And the art is, IMHO consistently good: from detailed Mike, to abstract Mike, to Duncan Fegredo and Richard Corben, to name a few.

-Pistols

Comment

Working...
              X