1st DC now Marvel.. Restarts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st DC now Marvel.. Restarts?

Is Marvel restarting all there comic titles back to #1's again like DC's new 52? And if so, Y?

Originally posted by helwen View Post
    Is Marvel restarting all there comic titles back to #1's again like DC's new 52? And if so, Y?
    Same reason DC did it. Money. Getting people who haven't been paying attention to comics to sit up and take notice. Marvel swears up and down in every interview that "it's not a reboot".... More like a Prelude To A Reboot. They're hoping to reel people in with a whole bunch of new #1s and new creative teams/new directions, before they realize where it's all heading. Seems pretty clear that the handwriting's on the wall, though.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      Same reason DC did it. Money. Getting people who haven't been paying attention to comics to sit up and take notice. Marvel swears up and down in every interview that "it's not a reboot".... More like a Prelude To A Reboot. They're hoping to reel people in with a whole bunch of new #1s and new creative teams/new directions, before they realize where it's all heading. Seems pretty clear that the handwriting's on the wall, though.
      Marvel sucks. They constantly relaunch their books at #1, more than any company I've ever seen, and now this relaunch is a prelude to a reboot which will probably spawn more #1's? God, how sad is Marvel these days......certainly they are not the same great company they were in the 80's.

Comment

Er... no, they're not rebooting, and not preparing for a reboot. They're just changing creative teams around, and since many of the teams in question are excellent, it's not a bad thing. I really wish DC had done that instead of Flashpoint, alas...

Comment

(Don't get me wrong--a few years ago Marvel was--in my considered opinion--on a ghastly downward trend, but over the last couple of years it's vastly improved. I am sure that with DC, this bad period will also pass in time, though how long it will take I don't know. My thoughts on both are in this thread--the Marvel stuff at the beginning and the DC stuff at the end.)

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
            Er... no, they're not rebooting, and not preparing for a reboot. They're just changing creative teams around, and since many of the teams in question are excellent, it's not a bad thing. I really wish DC had done that instead of Flashpoint, alas...
            They also aren't renumbering all their titles.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
              They also aren't renumbering all their titles.
              Well, not all at the same time, at any rate. If there's one thing that's certain, it's that Marvel believes in the plasticity of numbers. They can be changed back and forth at will to suit the needs of the marketing department.

If Marvel's initial rollout (from October 2012 to February 2013) of renumbered titles is successful (and there's no reason to think it won't be), you can be sure there will be followup "waves" of renumbered books.

Conversely, as soon as the "newness" of the New 52 begins to lose its lustre, you can count on DC reverting titles like Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman to the old numbering as soon as the aggregate number approaches a major milestone, just like Marvel has done on numerous occasions.
              Last edited by positronic; 10-19-2012, 05:32 AM.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

In my opinion Marvel is nothing more than a hype machine who ruined their legacy back in the late 90's with all that Heroes Reborn/Return nonsense. They constantly renumber their books and then shift them back to their "legacy" numbering just so they can renumber them again with a brand new #1, it's nothing more than a ploy to generate more sales and to start more crossover events. All they do is events these days, it's rare when you can buy a Marvel title without an event name slapped on the top of the book and it's rare when a book like The Avengers or Captain America can be given the room to grow because they're constantly starting them back at #1. Captain America has had 6 relaunches since 1998 and The Avengers have had 5 now, that in my opinion is absolutely unacceptable and I would have hoped by now that fans would have caught on to Marvel's hype machine tactics.

Yes, ever comic book company needs to employ some hype tactics to generate sales, but some more than others have been tasteful about it while some have been shameless promotion whores who have ruined their company in the eyes of real comic book fans around the world.
                Dynamite Entertainment
                Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
                  in the eyes of real comic book fans around the world.
                  I'm a real comic book fan, thank you very much, and Marvel's rep isn't ruined with me.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    I'm a real comic book fan, thank you very much, and Marvel's rep isn't ruined with me.
                    Maybe he meant real comic fans who actually know what good comics are? Marvel Comics has been jerking its readers around long enough and if certain comic fans can't see them for what they are than that's their own shortcoming, unfortunately. Marvel is a hype-whore who can't go 3 months without some major "event", they've literally ruined themselves along the way and have ruined classic characters that once meant something with their sad attempt at whatever it is they think they're doing over there.....

So sad.

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                      Maybe he meant real comic fans who actually know what good comics are?
                      That would be me as well, thank you.

There's no need to be rude.

Comment

Speaking for myself I've lost all interest in Marvel these day's mostly because some of the titles I enjoyed were canceled along time ago but other then that now that Valiant is back they've stolen me away from Marvel 4ever again. Today's Marvel is just, Meh! compared to the '70's-'80's era I find nothing of value other then going out to watch there movies with my family. I gotta say that I really like what Aspen is doing currently with a few of their titles and I'm always going to love Valiant along with DC I just hope they don't screw up and cause me to withdraw from collecting stuff from them like Marvel.

Comment

BOTH of the major comic book universes have been largely soured for me. I blame the marketing departments of both companies. Somewhere along the line, the balance was tipped. Comics that used to be largely character- and storyline- driven have succumbed to stunt-marketing gimmicks like reboots, renumbering, and the ever-proliferating cycle of crossover-driven "events". Not to mention the ever-popular "Somebody dies!" Once in a while a title or character can struggle through all that, but usually only when the character is primarily confined to a single title (like Mark Waid's Daredevil). But the universe itself (both of them), as an overarching concept, has been pretty much tainted for me beyond any hope of redemption as a primary point of attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                            Maybe he meant real comic fans who actually know what good comics are?
                            That's a pretty lame response. I hate when people think their opinion on what is good and what isn't is a fact..... it's not.

Comment

I've been a Marvel reader all my life, since it was sixties Marvel reprints that initially sparked my interest in American comics. Is Marvel now rather different to Marvel then? Yes. Is it all 100% better or 100% worse? No. There are Marvel titles I don't care for, so I don't buy them (Punisher and X-Force being two examples). There are others I enjoy, so I do (Daredevil and X-Factor fit into that category, but aren't the only ones). Essentially, they're the same characters existing in the same universe I've always followed, just presented in a different way. I also buy a lot of titles from other publishers, because I like them (though I've admittedly given up on DC). I think I rather resent the inference that I'm not a "real comic fan" because I still enjoy Marvel.

Comment

Working...
                              X