No announcement yet.

Any Fans of the Beyondiverse Out There?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Fans of the Beyondiverse Out There?

Is anybody on these boards reading Batman Beyond Unlimited? As you can guess, it is based on (and grows out of) the animated series from some years past. I really like this character and the spin it puts on the Batman mythos.

Of late, of course, what most attracts me is that it is kept free from all those tedious, overblown cross-over storylines that plagues the rest of the DC line. Flashpoint? Don't care. Didn't affect this book. That Owl thing the other Bat books did? Don't care. It didn't reach to the Beyondiverse.

Beyondiverse is my own name for it. It has been a little unclear whether the stories on this book are just a possible future of the current DCU, or whether this is taking place on one of those other 52 Earths in the reformed Multiverse (if the new Multiverse with 52 Earths even still exists in the DCU--they went through so much trouble to create it and then basically ignored it; for all I know they destroyed it again).

Anyway, BBU is a print form of stories that are originally available in digital form if you are one of those people who can read comics on a tablet or whatever. I find it damned annoying to read a comic book like that. Each issue gives chapters of three separate tales: a Batman Beyond adventure; a "Superman Beyond" (the older Supes in the BB universe) adventure; and a Justice League Beyond story--using the JL characters that were shown to exist in the BB universe during the animated series. Not surprisingly, not all the stories are good. The JLB storyline has been pretty lame. The current BB storyline is good but it has been so long in coming (the seeds for it were sown over a year ago when the prior Batman Beyond series was being published) that I have grown tired of it. The Supes storyline has been worth the read as he tries to find a place for himself on the planet (Lois died some years back and he is still dealing with super-grief).

BBU is not great literature. It is not even literature. But of all the books that DC has been putting out recently, this is the one that most feels like a good old-fashioned comic book. I recommend it.

I like it. Having said that, in a lot of ways I still much prefer the original (Kids WB/DC Kids) version of the title from 10 years ago.
    Originally posted by Tulku View Post
    It has been a little unclear whether the stories on this book are just a possible future of the current DCU, or whether this is taking place on one of those other 52 Earths in the reformed Multiverse (if the new Multiverse with 52 Earths even still exists in the DCU--they went through so much trouble to create it and then basically ignored it; for all I know they destroyed it again).
    NOT a possible future of the current DCU. There are too many discrepancies. This is NOT the Superman from Grant Morrison's Action Comics, or the Aquaman from Geoff Johns' current DCU series. Yes, they made an attempt, pre-Flashpoint, to tie in some DCU elements not previously seen in the BB universe (Hush, for example), but it never really worked. And DC has altered the backstory of Barbara Gordon, Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, and Tim Drake to the point where they'll never be able to bring it in line with the "Beyondiverse". Honestly, it never even worked as a possible future of the pre-Flashpoint DCU. It started off, and remains, as a possible future of the Batman: The Animated Series universe. And that's just fine with me.

As for the current DC multiverse, we know that there is one -- witness the current Earth-2 series. Whether it's a infinite multiverse that incorporates previous DC universe timelines (or is indeed limited to the previous post-Infinite Crisis 52 parallels) is unclear. The post-Infinite Crisis 52 multiverse had established (via an appearance in Superman/Batman) that the Beyondiverse was one of those 52 parallels.

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
    ...what most attracts me is that it is kept free from all those tedious, overblown cross-over storylines that plagues the rest of the DC line. Flashpoint? Don't care. Didn't affect this book. That Owl thing the other Bat books did? Don't care. It didn't reach to the Beyondiverse.
    Agreed. Big Time. Where once the Universe/continuity was one of the main attractions and selling points urging me to buy perhaps more DC and Marvel titles than were defensible based solely on quality, now those Universe/continuity threads and tie-ins are repugnant to me and a main reason to QUIT reading more DC and Marvel titles.

Where I once read up to a couple dozen DCU titles a month, now I am down to a mere half-dozen. The titles I have continued to read are those where continuity flowed most seamlessly with events from the pre-Flashpoint DCU continuity. Most of those titles (All Star Western, Batman Beyond, Green Lantern, Legion of Super-Heroes) were ones that retained the same writers as the previous DC versions. Jonah Hex is set in the past (despite an fuzzy attempt at an oblique tie-in to the Court of Owls crossover in the Bat-titles), the GL books mainly far from Earth, and LSH in the future (the Legion: Secret Origin miniseries neatly sidestepped the question of Superboy/Superman by having an attempt at time travel to the Legion's past result in an epic fail, which pleased me to no end).

Having said that, recent issues of Green Lantern have become somewhat irksome, with the non-appearance of Hal Jordan in his own title, the unrepentantly evil (as opposed to just authoritarian and smug) Guardians, guest appearances by what passes for a Justice League today, and a Green Lantern with a gun! -- I ask you, what does the wielder of one of the most powerful weapons in the universe, a GL ring, need with a gun?). But I guess I will probably hold out until the end of the "Rise of the Third Army" story arc to see if Geoff Johns can indeed make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
    X