Pulp Heroes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulp Heroes

Given how well that Masks#1 is doing, and the fact that pulp fans love the idea of crossovers, I thought I would recommend a couple of books currently on the market.
    Pulp Heroes: More Than Mortal, written by Wayne Reinagel, is an original pulp novel set in the closing years of WWII.
    Pulp Heroes: Khan Dynasty, is the prequel book.
    I'll let the links speak for themselves. But having read both books, and impatiently awaiting the third, I strongly recommend them to any fan of epic pulps.

I own both of these, and I have only read the first book, but I really enjoyed it.

Comment

My feeling about these things (so-called "New Pulp" stories featuring original characters) is that there are hundreds of actual pulp stories that I still haven't had time to read, so how could these homages to a bygone era possibly be any pulpier than the authentic original pulps?

I might have (and did) feel differently back in the day when pulp reprints were scarce. And I do make the occasional exception for new stories featuring the classic pulp heroes. But nowadays, it seems like dozens of different titles are being reprinted every few months, by Sanctum Books, Altus Press, Adventure House, Pulpville Press, and on and on. Print-on-demand and the internet has made the pulp reprint market explode, and it's tough being a comic book fan AND trying to keep up with what's new in the world of pulp fandom.

I wish the writers of these things the best of luck and all that, but there are just too many REAL pulp stories I can't find the time to get to. Maybe if I live to be 150...
      Last edited by positronic; 12-18-2012, 05:13 PM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I personally don't mind. A good story is a good story regardless of who wrote it and when.

But you are right. I have so many pulp reprints now from Sanctum Books and comics that I need to still read that I could not buy a new thing for the next 5 years and I probably still wouldn't be caught up.

Comment

CEO/Publisher

positronic

Really? Too many existing pulps to try new ones? So, we shouldn't try and give great stories? Chris Roberson, a fantastic writer, should have told Masks with great painting by Alex and unbelievable art by Dennis Calero upcoming? So, a story that unites all of the Pulp heroes in one series (or at least as many as possible), shouldn't be?

Thank God there aren't too many super hero comics. Should the pulp comics have ended early on and no one else write them? Should playrights have stopped 100 years ago?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but trying to figure out why you feel a writer can't write a story or artist draw a story that adds to a genre. It just seems wrong.

What do you think creators should focus on?

best!

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick!

Well, there's pulps (and by that I mean the prose fiction), and there's comics. Personally, I only have a limited amount of time and money to give to this stuff, but I REALLY stretch the limits of that -- my weekly intake of material, via Diamond Comics and Amazon.com mostly, is HUGE.

So, according to MY time and budget constraints, I have to prioritize. When it comes to "pulp comics", I consider that part of my comics reading. Pulp fiction reading is a different matter. Lots of prose absorbs a lot more of my time. I will usually prioritize comics over pulps, because I can get more of them read in the same time it takes me to read a single pulp novel.

That said, my reading of regular prose fiction (because I do maintain a huge comic list) is pretty much limited these days strictly to pulp reprints. The occasional exception of "new, non-reprint" material would be something like Moonstone's Chronicles prose anthologies.

Hope that clarifies. My comments regarding the efforts of the "new pulp" writers really have nothing to do with various pulp characters appearing in comics.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

CEO/Publisher

Got it now!

thank you!

Comment

Nick,

Trust me on this, being seen as the "pulp company" is actually a good thing, it gives Dynamite an identity and it gives these classic characters a home and a platform. I look forward to anything pulp you guys put out, you've earned my comic book dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by nickybdynamite View Post
                  positronic

Really? Too many existing pulps to try new ones? So, we shouldn't try and give great stories? Chris Roberson, a fantastic writer, should have told Masks with great painting by Alex and unbelievable art by Dennis Calero upcoming? So, a story that unites all of the Pulp heroes in one series (or at least as many as possible), shouldn't be?

Thank God there aren't too many super hero comics. Should the pulp comics have ended early on and no one else write them? Should playrights have stopped 100 years ago?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but trying to figure out why you feel a writer can't write a story or artist draw a story that adds to a genre. It just seems wrong.

What do you think creators should focus on?

best!

Nick
                  Don't listen to the negatives Nick. I'm the one who re-tweets all the praise you get on the Dynamite Twitter and let me tell you, people are loving not only Masks but they're loving the entire pulp-U that you and you're amazing creative team have put together. When I'm tweeting on the Dynamite Twitter I see reply after reply after reply worth of praise for titles such as the Masks series, The Spider, and The Shadow with fans begging for more, and if they're asking for it that that's what creators should be focused on given them.

Keep it up!
                  Dynamite Entertainment
                  Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

More comics based on pulp characters is a good thing! I get all of Dynamite's pulp (or similar) comics.

Comment

Working...
                    X