Press Release--IDW Announces T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS

IDW Announces T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS!
    The Enduring Classic Finds a New Home!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunder_Agents_1_CVR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	49525

San Diego, CA (December 19, 2012) – IDW Publishing announced to a full house at this year’s New York Comic Con that they’ve acquired the rights to publish the exploits of the legendary band of super-powered heroes, the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS!

First published in 1965, the fan-favorite team has seen their exploits published by Tower, JC, Deluxe, and DC Comics and been written and drawn by a virtual who’s-who of comic industry titans. The diverse cast of Agents have seen their share of adventures over the years—including DC’s well-received run most recently—but IDW is excited at the opportunity to put their stamp on the legendary team.

“I'm thrilled that IDW will be bringing its extraordinary talents and craft to producing everything from beautiful omnibus volumes to bold and cutting-edge new comic book titles based on T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents,” said Michael Uslan, who initiated the project. “With top quality, IDW will be presenting the works of comic book super-stars, including T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents creator, Wally Wood(Daredevil, MAD, EC horror and science fiction comics, All-Star Comics,Power Girl) along with the legendary Steve Ditko (Spider-Man, Dr. Strange); Gil Kane (Green Lantern, The Atom); Mike Sekowsky (Justice League); Reed Crandall (Blackhawk); Dave Cockrum (X-Men); George Perez (Wonder Woman, New Teen Titans); Murphy Anderson(Hawkman, The Spectre); Paul Gulacy (Master of Kung Fu); Jerry Ordway (Shazam, Justice Society); Ron Lim (Warlock, Silver Surfer),Keith Giffen (Legion of Super-Heroes, Lobo); Dan Adkins (Creepy, Dr. Strange), and many others.”

“T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents always had a great premise in addition to the list of esteemed creators who worked on the comics—people whose day job was being government-employed superheroes,” said IDW’s Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall, “That premise offers a resonant jumping-off point for some exciting new stories that will add to the great comics already left behind by both Tower and DC’s recent run.”

“T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents is a classic, beloved property,” added Greg Goldstein, IDW's President and C.O.O.. “Its original stories featured some of the best superhero art of the silver age and it was well ahead of its time in many areas of storytelling. As an example, it was the first mainstream comic book to feature the ‘permanent’ death of a major character.”

In addition to the rights to reprint classic T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents comics as well as create all-new series around the property, IDW also now controls the rights to fellow Tower Comics titles Undersea Agent and Fight the Enemy, too.

“We are very excited that T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents has found a new home at IDW,” said David M. Matthews, Managing Director of Radiant Assets, owner of the property. “Their history of high-quality publications coupled with top-notch creative teams perfectly compliments our desire to expand not only the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agent franchise, but Undersea Agent andFight the Enemy, as well. We join them with great optimism about bringing this storied team’s past, present and future to a whole new generation of readers, who will join the longtime legion of fans already anxious for the continuation of the team’s legendary exploits.”

Though specific plans have yet to be revealed, 2013 is looking to be a mighty year for the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents!
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Sounds great, I really enjoyed the original run and the Deluxe revival. Dynamo & Noman were my favorites with Raven a close second. Of course they'll probably need a new name for Raven. May I suggest Blue Raven, not the greatest name but his costume in the was blue when revamped in the original series (by Gil Kane I think).
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Why would they need a new name for Raven? It's not likely he'll ever get his own book, so they don't need to worry about stepping on DC's trademark. DC and Marvel both had characters named Captain Marvel coexisting for over 40 years, ditto for Sandman, Scarecrow, etc.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Wasn't this a book within the DC "New 52" recently? Or was that something else?
        Dynamite Entertainment
        Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
          Wasn't this a book within the DC "New 52" recently? Or was that something else?
          That was DC's version of it. Some years back they had also reprinted the original run in a series of Archives hardcovers. But, like other characters they've licensed in the past, Tarzan, Flash Gordon, The Phantom, The Shadow, Doc Savage, and The Spirit, they've now lost the license.
          Last edited by positronic; 12-23-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

this makes my day
            i look forward to the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. agents

Comment

It's due out this week. The art on the cover looks a little questionable but that's not always accurate.
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                It's due out this week. The art on the cover looks a little questionable but that's not always accurate.
                I seem to recall seeing like, 4 or 5 (I think) different cover images, so you ought to be able to find one you like (if they're not mostly rare variants). But I could swear the Subscription Variant (limited only to what your retailer decides to order) is by Jerry Ordway. That's the one I'll be getting.

Comment

There were five covers and I wound up with the Iron Maiden Cover. I was bothered by Dynamo's legs on his cover, his thighs seemed weird. Interior art is fine and the story was interesting. It looks like their take on the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents is a little different but not so out in left field as the recent DC series that had everybody dying from using the equipment. Looks promising.

Comment

I really enjoyed this first issue. It isn't so 'retro' as to only appeal to a small minority of older readers who remember the classic incarnations of the 1960s or 1980s, yet it isn't done in that "aren't we so cutting edge" style that annoys me in so many mainstream DC and Marvel titles. Good solid basic artwork that tells the story well without ambiguity, and a plot that isn't so convoluted that you can't figure out what's going on. I guess some people would label that as 'old school', but it's just what I'm looking for in a superhero genre title.

Comment

They've also released a '100 Penny Press' editon with the original origins of Noman and Dynamo. They re the only 2 to show up in thier sereis so far so we may get other issues s others appear.

My LCS is having problems getting the series. Issue 2 and 3 both got shorted on them and they're hesitant to reorder because they've been geeting the different covers in dribs and drabs over the next couple of weeks. As a result I still haven't read issue #3 . Is anyone else having the same problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                        They've also released a '100 Penny Press' editon with the original origins of Noman and Dynamo. They re the only 2 to show up in thier sereis so far so we may get other issues s others appear.

My LCS is having problems getting the series. Issue 2 and 3 both got shorted on them and they're hesitant to reorder because they've been geeting the different covers in dribs and drabs over the next couple of weeks. As a result I still haven't read issue #3 . Is anyone else having the same problem?
                        It's not just IDW. It's just a problem in general. There are less than 2000 dedicated comic shops left in America, and too many titles for every retailer to carry even a few copies of everything. Some of those titles may have only one or two subscribers (or none) at any given store, and all retailers tend to base their initial orders on subscribers or on the number of verbal requests. Trouble is, with the latter, by the time they realize they underestimated demand (and they have to remain conservative to stay in business) it's too late to reorder, because the publishers base their print runs on the initial orders generated by Diamond Comics. Just like the retailers, the publishers have to be conservative and not overprint a book to stay in business. What it boils down to is these are dire economic times for anything considered a frivolous entertainment expense. Most comic fans have already heard the argument against spending "so much" money on comics from their significant others. IDW is among the healthiest of the independent companies, but even they have trouble keeping a title selling well enough to make it for more than a couple of years. Then it's on to whatever the new thing is.

Too bad. In my opinion this is a great book. I don't expect it to last as long as DC's did, unfortunately.

Comment

G'day,

Well if comic book companies insist on targeting a limited sector of the market- young males, that to be expected. I think Dynamite says that about 24% of its readership is female. Wonder what the percentage would be for the big two, I think I read some where that DC's New 52 readership is 93% male.

You would think the marketing gurus would be working on ways to leverage the interest in comic book movies to reach a wider audience. I just returned from seeing Thor 2 and would say half the audience was female.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                          It's not just IDW. It's just a problem in general. There are less than 2000 dedicated comic shops left in America, and too many titles for every retailer to carry even a few copies of everything. Some of those titles may have only one or two subscribers (or none) at any given store, and all retailers tend to base their initial orders on subscribers or on the number of verbal requests. Trouble is, with the latter, by the time they realize they underestimated demand (and they have to remain conservative to stay in business) it's too late to reorder, because the publishers base their print runs on the initial orders generated by Diamond Comics. Just like the retailers, the publishers have to be conservative and not overprint a book to stay in business. What it boils down to is these are dire economic times for anything considered a frivolous entertainment expense. Most comic fans have already heard the argument against spending "so much" money on comics from their significant others. IDW is among the healthiest of the independent companies, but even they have trouble keeping a title selling well enough to make it for more than a couple of years. Then it's on to whatever the new thing is.

Too bad. In my opinion this is a great book. I don't expect it to last as long as DC's did, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                          X