No announcement yet.

My DC reading list is shrinking again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DC reading list is shrinking again.

June's DC solicitations revealed the cancellation of fully half of the New 52 DC titles I still read - the final issues of All Star Western, Trinity of Sin: Pandora, and Trinity of Sin: Phantom Stranger. That leaves me with Constantine, Justice League Dark, and Swamp Thing for New 52 titles, and Astro City, Fables (ending soon), Adventures of Superman, Batman '66, Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet, Batman Beyond Universe, plus new titles Multiversity and (maybe) Sensation Comics featuring Wonder Woman. Even the trade paperback and hardcover reprints have been dwindling to a slow trickle.

G'day,

I haven't been keeping in touch. Hows the stuff you don't read going? I think I mentioned I picked up an issue of the New 52 Wonder Woman and was completely put off. Just haven't bothered. Might still pick up Sensation as from the write ups it sounds suitable for nine year old girls and middle aged men.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    June's DC solicitations revealed the cancellation of fully half of the New 52 DC titles I still read - the final issues of All Star Western, Trinity of Sin: Pandora, and Trinity of Sin: Phantom Stranger. That leaves me with Constantine, Justice League Dark, and Swamp Thing for New 52 titles, and Astro City, Fables (ending soon), Adventures of Superman, Batman '66, Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet, Batman Beyond Universe, plus new titles Multiversity and (maybe) Sensation Comics featuring Wonder Woman. Even the trade paperback and hardcover reprints have been dwindling to a slow trickle.

Comment

When the New 52 came out I wad all over it for about a year, but then I lost interest much like I always do with the "big two". I much prefer indies.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

These days, I'm buying
        * Batman Eternal (weekly)
        * Batwing (but that book is ending soon)
        * Detective Comics
        * Wonder Woman (but not sure what I'll do when Azzarello and Chiang end their current run)
        * Worlds' Finest (but that may change when the shift Huntress and Power Girl into "Earth 2: World's End" and put the Earth 2 Batman and Superman in the starring roles instead)

So my list is still in flux, but probably getting reduced further in a few months.

Comment

Oh my God I know what you mean. My list for August is basically...

THE MULTIVERSITY #1
          JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #34
          SECRET ORIGINS #5
          TRINITY OF SIN: THE PHANTOM STRANGER #22 (final issue)
          JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 #9
          WORLD’S FINEST #26
          EARTH 2 #26
          SUPERMAN: DOOMED #2
          ACTION COMICS #34
          BATMAN/SUPERMAN #14
          ALL-STAR WESTERN #34 (final issue)
          SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN #1
          ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #16
          BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #13
          ASTRO CITY #14

The Gentle Reader may note that many of these are not set in the New 52 at all:
          THE MULTIVERSITY #1
          SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN #1
          ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #16
          BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #13
          ASTRO CITY #14

Of the remaining ones, many are not set in (1) the present day or (2) the main New 52 Earth:
          SECRET ORIGINS #5
          JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 #9
          WORLD’S FINEST #26
          EARTH 2 #26
          ALL-STAR WESTERN #34 (final issue)

Which leaves just these as my glimpse into the present-day main-Earth New 52:
          JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #34
          TRINITY OF SIN: THE PHANTOM STRANGER #22 (final issue)
          SUPERMAN: DOOMED #2
          ACTION COMICS #34
          BATMAN/SUPERMAN #14

All of which I am getting for two reasons: J.M. DeMatteis and Greg Pak.

When I can afford them, which is not right now, I will go get back issues or trade collections of Gail Simone's Batgirl, Jeff Parker's Aquaman, and Dan Jurgens' Aquaman and the Others. Geoff Johns made an Aquaman I couldn't stand, but I am sure Parker and Jurgens can make him more suited to my tastes.

I'll be getting the weekly Earth-2 series when it comes out, but not Futures End itself. In September (and thank you SO MUCH DC for waiting until two days before we had to turn in our list to our comics shops, grrrrrrr), my issues will exclusively be based on the writers, and will have the non-lenticular covers (both of which I did for Villains' Month), and are these:
          ACTION COMICS: FUTURES END #1
          BATGIRL: FUTURES END #1
          BATMAN/SUPERMAN: FUTURES END #1
          BOOSTER GOLD: FUTURES END #1
          EARTH 2: FUTURES END #1
          JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK: FUTURES END #1
          SUPERMAN: FUTURES END #1
          TRINITY OF SIN: PHANTOM STRANGER: FUTURES END #1
          WORLDS’ FINEST: FUTURES END #1

My Marvel list is a bit larger, and there are quite a few more titles there on the "get when I can afford" list as well, but this is a thread on DC, so I won't contribute to thread drift here.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
            I haven't been keeping in touch. Hows the stuff you don't read going?
            Hi Ralph! Um... I'm not completely sure I understood the question, so I'll give you a multiple choice answer.

A) I don't read them. I'm not sure if I'm the best authority here on how they're going.

B) The reason I don't read the ones I don't read is that I either had absolutely no interest in the book or creators to begin with, or I had some potential interest, but at one point or another determined that I didn't like those titles based on the execution.

C) All of the above?

Hope that answer is satisfactory somehow. If not, you'll have to ask someone who's been following New 52 universe characters and events a little more carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
              These days, I'm buying
              * Worlds' Finest (but that may change when the shift Huntress and Power Girl into "Earth 2: World's End" and put the Earth 2 Batman and Superman in the starring roles instead)

So my list is still in flux, but probably getting reduced further in a few months.
              Worlds Finest ends with the issue solicited for June. I got the impression (from stuff in Forever Evil and Futures End) that Earth 2 leads into the big DC event in May 2015, that would involve the Anti-Monitor (and possibly Darkseid) and result in a war between the New 52 Earth and Earth 2 (and quite possibly the destruction of Earth 2 in the process).

Comment

Worlds Finest ends with the issue solicited for June. I got the impression (from stuff in Forever Evil and Futures End) that Earth 2 leads into the big DC event in May 2015, that would involve the Anti-Monitor (and possibly Darkseid) and result in a war between the New 52 Earth and Earth 2 (and quite possibly the destruction of Earth 2 in the process).
                Actually, it doesn't end in June. When DC put out the August solicitations, there was confusion about Worlds' Finest #26 being the last issue, but DC later corrected that mistake and most sites corrected that.
                (But for some reason, Newsarama hasn't.)

Comment

G'day,

I suppose I could have put it better. Anyone knows what DC's New 52 sales figers have been going?

ta

Ralph

Hi Ralph! Um... I'm not completely sure I understood the question, so I'll give you a multiple choice answer.

A) I don't read them. I'm not sure if I'm the best authority here on how they're going.

B) The reason I don't read the ones I don't read is that I either had absolutely no interest in the book or creators to begin with, or I had some potential interest, but at one point or another determined that I didn't like those titles based on the execution.

C) All of the above?

Hope that answer is satisfactory somehow. If not, you'll have to ask someone who's been following New 52 universe characters and events a little more carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
                    Actually, it doesn't end in June. When DC put out the August solicitations, there was confusion about Worlds' Finest #26 being the last issue, but DC later corrected that mistake and most sites corrected that.
                    (But for some reason, Newsarama hasn't.)
                    Interesting. The FINAL ISSUE tag appears in the printed Diamond Previews catalog for June.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                      G'day,

I suppose I could have put it better. Anyone knows what DC's New 52 sales figers have been going?

ta

Ralph
                      The short answer is sales are not great (exceptions would be Batman titles and crossovers like Forever Evil). Not sure if the overall New 52 sales have slipped yet to the point where they are below pre-New 52 DC sales.

Comment

Well they didn't cancel JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK (yet), but I am a bit miffed that we've apparently seen the last of Mikel Janin. Can't say All Star, Pandora or Stranger getting cancelled was a shock either, as I realize they were all on the short list. At least I get Darwyn Cooke drawing the last issue of ASW (unless that was a "A&C by" misprint.

Comment

Darwyn Cooke is indeed doing the end of ASW. He was going to be doing the end of that storyline, but I suppose the end of the storyline became the end of the series.

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT BEEN FOLLOWING THE SERIES:

I enjoyed ASW but not as much as the previous Jonah Hex series. Being set on the DC Earth--great. Having nigh-constant references and shout-outs to the present-day DCU--gack. After a certain point I got really, really tired of the ancestors of everyone in Gotham showing up, and I missed Jonah having his own adventures with his own, non-later-DCU villains and allies. We *knew* Jonah could not take down the Court of Owls, because they had to keep going till the present day, and so on.

The Jonah Hex in the present day storyline would have made a good Elseworlds or What If sort of story... perhaps even could have worked if, at the end of it, Jonah only remembered it as a very disturbing dream. Having him get his face fixed and then sent back in time like that... oh Lord, where could the series go from there, really? Would he get his face damaged again in precisely the same way? That would be awkward. I think it really rang true when, after encountering his own dead body in the museum, he essentially snapped, got drunk, got on a motorcycle and apparently tried to kill himself. If this were an Elseworlds, that would have been the sadly likely ending. It might have been a way to bring him back to his own time--since he has to die an older man years ago, perhaps the time paradox would have led (with or without some sort of heroic intervention) to him snapping back to his own era, only remembering it as a dream. Instead... well, I'm sure the ending will be good, but still, the whole thing has not been as good as the previous series, and I'm sure it's all been due to editorial edict that everything has to tie in to the New 52 in some overt way.

Comment

I'm in essential agreement with your criticisms re: Jonah Hex. The pre-New 52 series written by the same team of Jimmy & Justin was better. I probably would have preferred an occasional supernatural story in there somewhere, more or less acknowledging the Vertigo series written by Joe Lansdale as being the same character, but other than that, I was pretty happy with it.

The time-travel story, while obviously a sort of last grasp at sales, was OK as a variation on the basic idea of the original HEX series, which left the character (even in other media incarnations) with a legacy as having experienced time-travel. Having his face fixed through plastic surgery was the first major misstep with the character that couldn't be easily smoothed over, so I knew the countdown clock was ticking at that point. The motorcycle accident/attempted suicide should just have resulted in bringing Booster Gold back into the picture. After getting Hex medical treatment, Booster, feeling remorse that this turn of events is all his fault, just could have spirited the still-unconscious Hex away from his recovery bed, and when Hex wakes up in his own time period, he thinks he's just recovered from the mother of all alcoholic benders. He remembers the events of his future adventure, but it's easier for him to live with it if he convinces himself he hallucinated the whole affair.
                            Last edited by pulphero; 06-03-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

That would have definitely worked a lot better.

Hmmm. Some people have suggested that all of these "grim future" things DC is doing right now--given the recent appearance of (SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER) the Anti-Monitor, and that several of these weekly series are all ending at the thirtieth anniversary of the original Crisis--are leading up to Yet Another Reboot. If we get something better out of it (please, God, let us get something better than the New 52!!), then I imagine that Jonah will be rebooted as well, so the whole "WTF, how can they possibly get him back to normal" issue might be resolved by it never happening in the upcoming continuity.

Of course I have no idea what the heck they're going to do. Maybe it would be more like Zero Hour, with a few tweaks here and there, maybe it would be no reboot at all, just part of the downward spiral of the DCU as a whole, maybe it will be a reboot but one I will like even less than the New 52 (I mean, it's being run by the same people who've screwed it up, right? Sigh)... no clue. Hoping. Fingers crossed. Eventually I know it will pass, and I am pretty sure sooner rather than later (but that could still be a few years more).

Sigh...

Comment

Working...
                              X