Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    Re BC (which I don't trust or read):
    Yeah, Rich Johnson's a bit of a "tabloid journalism" take on comics, but show me where he's been completely off-base on something with his predictions or theories. He's got his moles dug in, in the business. You may not like his style of "click-bait" headlines, but the guy's instincts are right far, far more often than he's been wrong. At least he's upfront about the muckraking aspects... "Lying in the Gutters". Yeah, he's an unrepentant gossip-monger, but again, bottom line is, he usually digs up the dirt before anyone else, and is more or less on target better than 80% of the time.

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    Tom DeFalco, yay; Scott Lobdell, yikes.
    I'm not sure what kind of groundwork you can really lay as a gun-for-hire editor for a measly 2 months, but if DeFalco applies his "MC2" sensibilities to this, he should do OK.
    Yeah, people like Scott Lobdell and Fabien Nicieza are right up there on my guilty list in line after Bob Harris for that distasteful Marvel stuff of the mid-90s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
      I can see them going with the new 52 being the 'main universe' and the pre-52 plus being the offshoot. Sort of like the Vertigo line, but with the 'classic' versions of the characters. Or maybe the Multiversity with several world involved.
      I can only see a "DC Multiverse" imprint if both Multiversity and Blood Moon are sales juggernauts for DC that rank up there with Batman books. Even then, unlikely to have several titles set in the same universe. From what I can tell, Multiversity #1 sold great for DC; not so sure about Society of Superheroes (Multiversity #2). Where the rest of the stuff goes after that is anyone's guess. On the other hand, you won't have Morrison involved in this, so that could scuttle the whole deal. I fully expect the Blood Moon event titles to sell, on average, about the same (or a little better) than two months' worth of the usual New 52 product, but will that be enough? With only 24 issues per month, that would make the books on average twice as good saleswise as the average DC sales. But's that's to be expected from the fact that it's an "event", which isn't going to hold true for anything ongoing of a similar nature. What you're seeing here is the multiverse re-introduced in the New 52 continuity as a way of expanding the story possibilities of THAT universe (see: FOREVER EVIL), not as opening the door for DC to publish titles that are in essence "offering an alternative" and thereby competing with itself. That excludes things like Multiversity and Blood Moon because of their "event" nature as limited series of one-shots or miniseries, as opposed to any ongoing series. Sure, you can put the pre-52 Blue Beetle and Booster Gold into an issue of Justice League 3000... it's taking place in the future, they never said the future of WHAT -- then again, a precise accounting of continuity tells you that Justice League 3000 isn't in the future of the pre-Flashpoint DCU either, because BB never got shot in the head by Max Lord before being thawed out of cryogenic sleep (Sorry, I guess time travel was the obvious way to go there, seeing as it already involves Booster... why they didn't go that way, well, take it up with Giffen and DeMatteis). But the point there is they aren't really messing with anyone's continuity -- and a few years from now, who the hell's even going to remember JL3000?

I don't know if it's sort of escaped people's notice, but the only imprint DC has left besides the New 52 is Vertigo. That's the only stuff that's being promoted as an imprint - but Vertigo is not a universe. Taking back the former DC characters from Vertigo and merging superheroes from the Wildstorm imprint was all part of the master plan. True, DC still publishes a random sampling of titles that are unrelated to either New 52 or Vertigo: the kids' TV tie-in titles (no longer under an imprint), the MAD stuff, the digital-first comics (Ame-Comi Girls, Adventures of Superman, Batman '66, Batman Beyond Universe, Legends of the Dark Knight, Sensation Comics, Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse, INjustice, Masters of the Universe, Scribblenauts Unmasked) but those are all unrelated to each other. Even EARTH 2 or JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000, which are part of the DC multiverse, but not set in the regular universe of characters, bear the NEW 52 logo. So I'd say there's a concerted effort here to deflect the spotlight away from those non-New 52 and Vertigo titles, to keep those other random titles fragmented and loose, unconnected to each other or anything in particular, with the exception of cross-promotional advertising in the all-ages titles. DC doesn't WANT to compete with themselves by giving readers a choice of different superhero universes to opt into. And it hasn't really been working for Marvel's Ultimate line in the last half-dozen years, either. Whatever momentum the Ultimate U. generated at first AS A UNIVERSE dissipated around the time of the ULTIMATUM event. Miles Morales still has a core following, the rest of the characters are just limping along to their graves (the ones that weren't already killed off in the last couple of "events", that is). And the reason Miles Morales survives is the sheer popularity of the words SPIDER-MAN in a title. Ditto for SPIDER-MAN 2099 -- you won't see any revivals of X-MEN 2099 or DOOM 2099 in their own titles.

And nobody here is going to be satisfied to get a lone "classic style" Justice League of America comic book that has no ties to any other comics, and doesn't cross over, am I right? I think you can work that sort of thing for a "classic JSA" comic, all by its lonesome, by virtue of the character set of that universe is considerably smaller than the pre-Crisis Earth-1's, and more distinctive from their New 52 counterparts (Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman) to the point that the characters aren't "competing versions" - and in all likelihood any ongoing JSA series would not include Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman (maybe WW, but they'd want to make her very distinct from the New 52 WW, perhaps looking something like Darwyn Cooke's WW from New Frontier, and using John Byrne's idea of Queen Hippolyta as WW, instead of Princess Diana... but more likely a "Golden Age style" Black Canary)... with the current versions of Power Girl and Huntress remaining in the New 52 as survivors of the destroyed Earth 2. There would still be room for most of the "legacy heroes" from Infinity Inc and Geoff Johns' JSA though, and maybe other teams like the Freedom Fighters and Seven Soldiers. I don't even think it's possible to do a series set in the 1940s and make it sell any more, so it would have to be closer to DC's 21st Century version of the JSA, or some more simplified-style (maybe something like Darwyn Cooke's or Javier Pulido's) "timeless" sort of thing, along the lines of the way the JSA appeared in Batman The Brave and The Bold -- they're not directly tied to WWII, they're just an older group of superheroes, late40s/early50s (same age as most of the audience that loves them), old enough to have teenage/early20s children now beginning to carry on their legacy, and you can have back all of the original JSAers or Infinitors who died (except Superman, Batman and related characters) in their original costumes -- the Golden Age ALL STAR COMICS stories can still basically have happened the same way, except any directly tied to WWII and the one ALL STAR that Superman & Batman took part in the story, and the JSA still remain the world's first superhero team. Not having any ties to specific historical events, they can always remain the same age, just as the mainstream universe heroes do, and the classic JSA villains remain the same. Hiring an artist with a very distinctive, slightly 'retro' style would help immediately set the book apart visually, signalling to potential readers that this series has nothing to do with the mainstream DC universe. And as a side note, the series would never EVER make mention of the fact that THIS JSA would have begun their superhero careers as 'young all-stars' circa 1985-90... just in case you weren't feeling old enough yet... but these characters would remain frozen in time at their present ages.
      Last edited by pulphero; 09-30-2014, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I haven't read it yet, just seen that one page, I keep asking for no spoilers...

(I mean, he looks Brainiac-ish but I don't know that it's any version of Vril Dox. Heck, I just read Doomed pt. 1 and found it annoying that Lois just has these powers (not explained in-story, which ticks me off--at least one line of throwaway dialogue would have been nice) which I vaguely know are connected to the New 52 Brainiac somehow, so if this is related PLEASE DON'T TELL ME, OK?)
        Um... sorry, Chast. If that was some kind of a reveal, I didn't KNOW it was a reveal. I figured I was keeping the info to a minimum by only mentioning a name, but honestly, I don't understand ANY of the context here. You said I should read it, and if I hadn't seen that last "multiverse" page, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I assumed that meant that YOU had read it... this was actually the first New 52 Superman story I have read (other than some issues of JUSTICE LEAGUE, FUTURES END, and the Dark titles where he appeared as a guest star) since... I think the first couple of New 52 issues of ACTION COMICS. At which point I decided I'm not missing anything by passing on any New 52 Superman stories... I've been pretty much sticking with just ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (now ended).

EDIT: OK, I was very confused by what was going on in that issue of SUPERMAN: DOOMED (#2). I have now corrected that mistake, and I did that by reading last year's SUPERMAN #23.2 (aka "BRAINIAC #1"). If you have not already read it, I recommend that you read that story without delay before reading any further in the SUPERMAN: DOOMED story. Essentially, what's happening here is that the New 52 universe is merging TWO DIFFERENT CHARACTERS from the pre-Flashpoint universe into the SAME character.

I have no actual clue as to what is happening on that last page of SUPERMAN: DOOMED, despite having read it. Maybe you can explain it to me after you read it.

The one thing I did notice (because someone happened to ask me in the comic shop) is how weirdly this story is structured in terms of the fact that as part of the overall "Doomed" storyline, there are several sub-chapters with their own subtitle, each of which had several numbered parts... but unless you were paying close attention, I'm not sure if you'd know (other than by being at the comic shop every week) how to put the sub-chapters in the right order. They should have just skipped the sub-chapters and numbered all the comics from beginning to end. I can't believe they didn't make some kind of checklist card for this... it's pretty confusing.
        Last edited by pulphero; 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• I'm very confused about what's going on with DC right now. It's hard to tell if there's some master plan leading to the Blood Moon event (just today I learned "the Blood Moon" is in fact, a place, an actual planetary satellite, somewhere in the DC universe -- which could be used as a "battle arena" world, not unlike in Marvel's SECRET WARS, to pit combatants from different Earths in the DC multiverse against each other).

I'm still confused about Brainiac. The Brainiac seen in SUPERMAN 23.2 and DOOMED doesn't seem to be the same Brainiac appearing in FUTURES END. Granted that FUTURES END is taking place in 2019, so this may be explained by some change that takes place in Brainiac between now and five years in the future. How the Blood Moon event relates to that last page of SUPERMAN DOOMED #2, I'm not sure, but I'm now thinking that the Blood Moon event looks like it might be taking place chronologically after the events of FUTURES END (at its conclusion next April), which would place the events of the Blood Moon crossover event in 2020. Either that, or these things really are disconnected, and there's no real communication at DC, with the nature of Brainac being changeable depending on what comic he's appearing in. I suppose it's possible that that final page of SUPERMAN DOOMED signals the beginning of some major metamorphosis of the Brainiac character.

Since I know that EARTH 2: WORLD'S END (which is taking place in the present day) helps explain how the future of 2019 in FUTURES END got that way, and it involves an invasion of EARTH 2 (and subsequently, an invasion of the main New 52 Earth) by Apokolips, I can't help think that the Green Lantern event series GODHEAD (which appears to be a preamble to Highfather of the New Gods assembling his forces for a confrontation with Darkseid) might also be weaving some threads leading into the WORLD'S END weekly, but only if there IS really some kind of editorial master plan orchestrating all these things to converge. Before Highfather is ready to confront Darkseid however, he'll be busy dealing with all the Corps of the emotional spectrum, but in the meantime Batman will be invading Apokolips on a mission to retrieve Damian Wayne's stolen body in the Robin Rises arc in BATMAN AND ROBIN... there are some interesting plot threads all crisscrossing here... but is it all part of a master plan conceived at some DC editorial summit meeting?

The three major threats leading into the Blood Moon event appear to be Darkseid, Brainiac, and Brother Eye/OMAC (although Darkseid doesn't appear, at least so far, in FUTURES END, so he may have been defeated in the present by the time of the May/June event next year). Still not sure at this point whether or not Brother Eye/OMAC and Brainiac are connected in some way in FUTURES END, but it's going to seem a little strange to me if they aren't. Who knows, maybe they'll throw the Anti-Monitor (last seen at the end of FOREVER EVIL) and/or Volthoom into the mix along the way before we get to May 2015. At least, there seem to be major hints in JUSTICE LEAGUE that one or both of those characters may be seen very soon, so maybe they're playing into the big picture as well.

Let's see... what else? It's mentioned in INFINITY MAN FUTURES END #1 that the OMACs (the big blue bruisers with the big crest on their heads) are a corruption of New Gods technology, and I guess Cadmus must be responsible (maybe using Wayne Tech), since the OMACs were used as guards and enforcers on the Cadmus-run detainment facility for E2'ers on Oolong Island in FUTURES END. How they get connected up with Brother Eye (which is created by TerrificTech) I'm not sure... but it's possible that Brother Eye has been hacked by Brainiac, or maybe they came to some sort of arrangement. The Global Peace Agency was created as a direct result of the Earth War, and Bruce Wayne might have been behind that. Up to now, Mr. Terrific thought he controlled Brother Eye. A lot of stuff in FUTURES END is a little hard to sort out. Oh, and Brainiac may have stolen Ray Palmer's "White Dwarf Lensing" tech for his own purposes. There may be a multiversal threat that Brainiac is the first to recognize. I wonder if it's what destroyed the Crime Syndicate's Earth?
          Last edited by pulphero; 10-02-2014, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• Ye gods this does sound confusing.

Comment

• Oh yeah, and even though Brainiac (in the SUPERMAN 23.2 one-shot) claims altruistic motives (saving this universe from a multiversal threat, which he calls "The Multitude", the true nature of which isn't shown, only talked about), he's ruthless in how he goes about "saving" the universe. That involves the white dwarf-lensing (shrinking) tech, which may connect to Ray Palmer, who had formerly been The Atom, and later used that tech as a resident scientist of S.H.A.D.E. to create a microminiaturized headquarters for S.H.A.D.E.

Brainiac, in the New 52, is now kind of like Taneleer Tivan (Elder of the Universe known as "The Collector") in the Marvel Universe (collecting and preserving artifacts -- in Brainiac's case, possibly entire bottled planets -- along with all their important knowledge and data). In a few instances, the New 52 Brainiac is even referred to as "The Collector of Worlds".

As for this alleged (by Brainiac) multiversal threat, "The Multitude" that Brainiac alludes to seems not unlike the Sheeda from Seven Soldiers or the Gentry from Multiversity. But we aren't really shown much about them, objectively, we're dependent on what Brainiac has to say about them. What little we are shown has them not appearing directly, but acting remotely through invading hordes to destroy or consume planets.

Another interesting observation I had was the connecting up of certain formerly unrelated Kirby concepts, like connecting OMAC to both New Genesis tech and merging those ideas with the pre-Flashpoint version of Brother Eye/OMAC created by Batman (only now Mr. Terrific, the Earth 2 visitor to New 52 Earth, is responsible for some of that development).

There are two possibilities, either these seeds have been carefully planted and planned to weave together and connect up eventually, or there are just a bunch of unrelated (and possibly uncemented) but very similar ideas floating around the New 52 DCU. Either one is possible, since the former is something Marvel has done in the past, while the latter is something endemic to the New 52 DC that has caused creators to leave titles. It's possible that DC is finally getting its act together in that respect, and we're seeing some real editorial planning put into effect as has happened at Marvel in the last 5-6 years or so.

Given that the New Gods of New Genesis and Apokolips exist beyond The Bleed, outside the DC multiverse itself, it would seem odd if Highfather were not aware of a multiversal threat like "The Multitude", and I don't know for certain that they aren't, although right now Izaya seems distracted by obtaining the secrets of The Source (which would amount to "The Life Equation") that Kyle Rayner acquired when he breached the Source Wall (also resulting in Relic becoming fused with the Source Wall) to prepare for a final confrontation with Darkseid. To do this, he'll need the power of the White Lantern.
              Last edited by pulphero; 10-02-2014, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• Ah, thank you re Brainiac--since the writer of that issue is not on my "writers I actively buy work by" list, I had no plans to go get the issue.

I'm even torn about picking up Futures End--Dan Jurgens is part of it, and with the new stuff suggesting that the whole multiversal stuff may become a major plot point in it recently I feel tempted to get it, but... well, you know, Azzarello. Those things just aren't enough. When one writer out of four is on your "definitely like" list but at least one of the others is on your "avoid at all costs" list, it's kind of a "I'll just get whatever tie-in issues are by writers I like and hope it's clear enough to make sense of it all" situation for me. I've only been getting the issues of Doomed that have Grek Pak in them, for instance.

If the (please God no no no no no no) two month Blood Moon thing is all being written by Lobdell, no matter what cool past universes are in it, then it will sadly be a small month for me from DC. I will weep, too.

Comment

Ah, thank you re Brainiac--since the writer of that issue is not on my "writers I actively buy work by" list, I had no plans to go get the issue.

I'm even torn about picking up Futures End--Dan Jurgens is part of it, and with the new stuff suggesting that the whole multiversal stuff may become a major plot point in it recently I feel tempted to get it, but... well, you know, Azzarello. Those things just aren't enough. When one writer out of four is on your "definitely like" list but at least one of the others is on your "avoid at all costs" list, it's kind of a "I'll just get whatever tie-in issues are by writers I like and hope it's clear enough to make sense of it all" situation for me. I've only been getting the issues of Doomed that have Grek Pak in them, for instance.

If the (please God no no no no no no) two month Blood Moon thing is all being written by Lobdell, no matter what cool past universes are in it, then it will sadly be a small month for me from DC. I will weep, too.
                  I understand that I'm in a different situation than you, Chast... I can borrow and read things without making a monetary committment to them.
                  But comic book readers in general have always had this duality of "following favorite characters" VERSUS "following favorite creators". Sometimes all the elements (character, writer, artist) line up and life is grand. Other times, you might find that a writer writing one character is doing a wonderful job, while when he does work on some other character or for some other company, the results are nowhere near as satisfying. To use an example right here at Dynamite, Mark Waid is a writer whose work I generally like. That holds true in spades for his GREEN HORNET for DE; on the other hand, I find myself hugely disappointed in his DOCTOR SPEKTOR for DE. The same holds true for other things he's written, both at Marvel and DC. I happen to think that KINGDOM COME is one of the most brilliant things he's ever written, but I'd also be an idiot to ignore the fact that I don't see many elements that are in KINGDOM COME appearing in much of Waid's other work. Conversely, I DO see a lot of those same elements in the Kurt Busiek-written MARVELS, so I'm forced to conclude that a good percentage of the brilliance of both of those things is NOT due solely to Mark Waid or Kurt Busiek (as talented as both men are when left to their own devices), but due to ideas contributed by Alex Ross in a collaborative creative process with both writers.

This is not to say that I disagree with the idea that the writer is probably the number one factor in creating a good comic book, all other things being equal. And in the world of prose fiction, the writer's name is as close to a reliable indicator of the quality of the final product as you're ever likely to get. The problem is that in the world of comic books, all other things are SELDOM actually equal. Due to the "sharecropper" nature of company-owned characters, and a collaborative process involving the editor and penciller, the final comic book that you're reading isn't usually a reflection of the 100% pure vision of the writer. You really don't know what the editor discussed with the writer that may have influenced the way he wrote the story (such as, for example, working in character crossovers, or reflecting the work other writers on other titles are doing on characters that may be appearing in the series the writer is scripting). You also don't know whether (in typical cases) the writer is basing his script on a plot worked out collaboratively with the editor, or collaboratively worked out in phone and email exchanges between the writer and the penciller, or some combination of both. Then, if the writer is working on a character that is not his own creation, his work must incorporate and be consistent with the work of other writers working on the same character before him and concurrently with him... and he will probably be measured by a reader using some kind of yardstick against other writers, whether the original creator of the character, or others currently working on the same character. CREATOR-OWNED work by a writer, compared to work on company-owned characters by the same writer, can be a whole different ball of wax, and most often is. Even if the writer is working "full script", and is as close to 100% generated out of the writer's head from whole cloth as can be in the comics medium, that script STILL has to be interpreted by an artist, who can be either faithful to the letter, or take his own liberties. Even if he's interpreting that script with all due respect for the writer's creative vision, the artwork can be good or bad.

Bottom line is, I don't think it's a good idea to ever be TOO slavishly committed to the name of a favorite writer in the credits, any more than it's a good idea to be TOO slavishly committed to buying EVERY title that a favorite character appears in. I think you need to compromise a little sometimes, between both of those extremes. The idea of AVOIDING certain writers, artists or characters is generally a sounder principle. But if, for example, Wolverine were to blink out of existence in the Marvel Universe and never appear in another Marvel comic book again, I don't think I'd feel one iota of loss over it, yet in the meantime, he's there and appears in a lot of comic books, so... I'm going to have to jump through hoops to avoid him. With all of his convoluted history, I've never really understood what motivates his actions, and therefore I can't relate to him on any level, unlike Batman, Superman, Captain America, Hulk, Spider-Man, or Punisher whose motivations are simple for me to "get" the character. Once in a great while, a good writer will trump even a character that I don't really care about like Wolverine, as is the current case with Charles Soule writing The Death of Wolverine (and I don't have any problem with him being DEAD for while, so that sort of helps). As it happens, I think that Charles Soule the writer, working on such diverse titles as SWAMP THING, DEATH OF WOLVERINE, THUNDERBOLTS, and LETTER 44 for different companies, with different editors and artists, produces 4 completely different kettles of fish, relative to the quality of the final comic book resulting from his efforts.

In the case of DC's "jam session" weekly comics, what happens is the book is divided up into several multi-page sequences, involving entirely different groups of characters (which was also the case for the pre-New 52 weeklies COUNTDOWN and 52). Each writer is following his own thread, weaving it into the mix according to a general plan established through editorial meetings and other ongoing communiques. It then wouldn't take much detective work to discover (although the characters/page numbers are not broken down for the reader, as far as credits are concerned) which writer is writing which thread involving which characters -- for example, I can already tell you that Dan Jurgens is writing the scenes involving Superman (...) and Lois, and if you read the one-shot SUPERMAN FUTURES END this month, that one is a direct continuation from, and back to, the weekly FUTURES END. Thus, once identified, you would easily be able to just skip over those pages (because you'll know when the artist and scene changes to another place and characters) written by Brian Azzarello (who I don't like writing superheroes; but I loved his 100 BULLETS for Vertigo). Or you could just "read for information, not enjoyment" those few pages written by Azzarello in each issue; the choice is yours. I haven't checked too carefully, but if I had to guess, it seems like Azzarello might be writing the scenes involving Grifter, Deathstroke, Fifty Sue, and Faraday; the other thread it seems like a possibility he might be writing is the one involving Frankenstein, Amethyst, Ray Palmer, and Hawkman. I'll see if I can figure it out and get back to you on that one.

And you're already reading EARTH 2, and planning on getting WORLD'S END, but did you check ALL the writers credited to make sure that NONE of them are on your "avoid" list...? But you might want to read that anyway, if you care enough about what happens to those characters. This is what I mean by not being TOO bound up by your own self-imposed rules. Think of them more like "general guidelines" that you've established for yourself, but being totally rigid and inflexible about these things only makes you lose out on things, sometimes. BTW, since you didn't bring it up, what do you do when you LOVE the writer, but HATE the artist?

For myself, I've already explained that I view EARTH 2 as my personal Kryptonite. Because to me, it is essentially the New 52 principle of rebooting DC characters that are, in this particular case, especially beloved to me, but taken to the Nth degree -- unbound by ANY faithfulness to the characters as they existed before, and thus much closer to DC's Tangent Universe, or "Just Imagine STAN LEE Creating...". The basic concept of "Hey, look! The NAMES are totally familiar, but the actual characters are TOTALLY unlike the ones you're familiar with, isn't that wonderful?" holds absolutely ZERO interest for me, so it really doesn't matter to me if it's written by a writer whose work in comics I might otherwise generally enjoy, whether it be Dan Jurgens, Stan Lee, or James Robinson. To the degree that the characters are that much further away from their pre-New 52 versions, it makes me hate them even more (times two, since the JSA are my MOST beloved of all of the pre-New 52 DC multiverse characters) than the the changes they've made in the New 52 to the Justice League, Teen Titans, etc. If they place those characters in a completely different UNIVERSE, to boot, it just makes it that much easier to avoid them. BUT, in light of the fact that they have now decided to DESTROY that Earth 2, I'm going to take a chance -- so that I can better understand where DC is going, as it heads toward next May/June, on reading the weekly WORLD'S END, at least until I determine that I have absolutely no interest in what's going on in that title, because the very idea that they're DOING AWAY with the previous "same names/totally different characters" concept is a very very good idea that appeals to me, as it clears the way for the return of something like the JSA that IS familiar.

re: Scott Lobdell -- I'm not a fan of his work either. Just to be absolutely clear, however... Lobdell is writing the 8-issue weekly series (presumably titled BLOOD MOON) that serves as the "spine" for the two-month event, under the editorial direction of Tom DeFalco. The 20 "double-shot" microseries that comprise the rest of the event are written by other writers -- individual titles, characters and creative teams are unknown at this point in time. Each week of May and June will see one issue (out of 8) of the weekly series, plus one issue (out of 2) of 5 of the titles (out of 20) comprising the two-issue microseries. 48 issues in total, released 6 per week, over the course of 8 weeks. Presumably that would amount to 20 different writers (plus Lobdell writing the weekly) writing each 2-issue microseries (and 20 different pencillers and inkers, too) featuring the same two characters, each one from a different Earth in the DC multiverse. No idea whether the weekly will have art by a single penciller/inker team, or multiple artists working on smaller groups of pages, as in the current DC weeklies. If they stick to that arrangement, that would mean 40 different characters (from 52 Earths in the multiverse) appearing in the 2-issue microseries. Who knows how many in the weekly series. Maybe something like the Justice League and/or Teen Titans from one Earth fighting their counterpart teams from a different Earth, or maybe just a bunch of random battles between different-Earth heroes cutting back and forth in scenes drawn by different artists.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 10-04-2014, 06:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    And you're already reading EARTH 2, and planning on getting WORLD'S END, but did you check ALL the writers credited to make sure that NONE of them are on your "avoid" list...?
                    It was pretty simple, yeah. It's not like I have an "avoid at all costs" list as long as your arm or anything like that.

BTW, since you didn't bring it up, what do you do when you LOVE the writer, but HATE the artist?
                    Probably buy it anyway. There are only a very small number of artists whose work I really actively dislike, and thus far not many have been paired with writers I like.

re: Scott Lobdell -- I'm not a fan of his work either. Just to be absolutely clear, however...
                    Dumb question, but... where was all of this announced? It's news to me...

Comment

Dumb question, but... where was all of this announced? It's news to me...
                      I first read about on Bleeding Cool, where the information has been slowly trickling out over the past few months. But YOU can read about it on NEWSARAMA. Unfortunately, it's mostly regurgitating a less-detailed account of the BC information, along with a few less-informative teases from DiDio and Lee. Oh, and pay no heed to that misinformation byte about April 2015 being the 30th anniversary of CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS. April was the COVER DATE of COIE #1, not the release date. That would make the actual 30th anniversary of COIE in January 2015.

The actual BLOOD MOON (which will presumably serve as an arena to pit multiversal combatants against each other) appeared in last week's FUTURES END #22 (which, you may recall, was mentioned on that last page of SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY #2). Plus there was that 2-page ad in DC comics touting "When FUTURES END... ...the BLOOD MOON Shall Rise" a few months back -- you should pay particular attention to the figures of Booster Gold there, along with a Robin that we haven't seen in the New 52. Oh yeah, and the Blood Moon is owned by Brainiac. The one who looks nothing like the one seen in SUPERMAN 23.2 and SUPERMAN: DOOMSDAY #2 (I think I already noted that part).

If you're not actually going to READ FUTURES END, you should at least take a very close look at the covers of the next two week's issues (#23 & 24). You could look at them right NOW, but I wouldn't want to force you to read Bleeding Cool, so I guess you can wait.
                      Last edited by pulphero; 10-04-2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Yes, I can indeed--thank you, LOL! But they've been posted elsewhere. Still not ready to get Futures End, so I'll see what comes out... I did read that article in Newsarama when it came out, and I hope BC is wrong about at least some of that (Lobdell, who isn't mentioned in the reliable source).

Comment

Yes, I can indeed--thank you, LOL! But they've been posted elsewhere. Still not ready to get Futures End, so I'll see what comes out... I did read that article in Newsarama when it came out, and I hope BC is wrong about at least some of that (Lobdell, who isn't mentioned in the reliable source).
                          NEWSARAMA is "reliable"...?
                          I never use it, I can't stomach their invasive ads.

Comment

• yewt sjswjryshnuf

Fourteen years ago, we were all dim dim gansu little boy, little girl, the bell rings, looking at a strange face. brown louis vuitton scarf giant burberry scarf This budgetfriendly hotel and spa package in Denver, CO includes a $50 gift certificate to Denver's most popular shopping destination the Cherry Creek Shopping Center, home to more than 160 top stores, including Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Polo Ralph Lauren, Coach and Louis Vuitton. herme scarves louis vuitton scarf on sale ; 302 2261139) is a pleasantly Tikiesque twostory joint in the space that used to be Oscar's. burberry wool scarf herme scarf Considering how many scents hit the shelves every year, few have been successful in relative terms. gucci black scarf At the same time, mobile phone suddenly rang, the screen is a strange number, answering. vintage gucci scarves herme scarf He asked me if i knew why they are so respected leadership, i said sure, family boss told me it was a set up, establish a leadership, establish mister, did not establish one person, but to establish their position, because this industry, the success of everyone, every people will have led a day, will have to do the boss one day, establish leadership is to establish himself in the future (and possibly some mere trash! herme scarf louis vuitton scarf on sale Give up is a kind of mind, is a mature, is a kind of inner self-confidence and grasp. louis vuitton scarf on sale mens gucci scarf I like snow, like snow white, maintain one's original pure character body, like it as snow, pure and cool world. gucci scarf bag
                            inkezzlw http://greatlakestruckclub.com/cpg15...l-scarves.html fbiedcbi

Comment

• qzgk cqwarlkpiizi

For every minute you miss me what settle down to do, this life lost and empty. louis vuitton scarf women sale scarf louis vuitton OneWorld beat Team Dennis Conner by 1 minute to complete a 40 sweep of their bestofseven quarterfinal and to progress to semifinals starting December 9. louis vuitton black scarf discount burberry scarf Claim a listing louis vuitton scarf women sale burberry neck scarf Come and experience your torrent treasure chest right here. gucci handbags with scarf A farming is still the loo loo susu to insist that, today will be sent him to the recruitment of the factory to interview, unwilling to wait for tomorrow, more than with letters of introduction to blind luck. burberry scarf for men sale navy burberry scarf I plucked his string, blowing a their own worries, to show their strong, no way out your eyes half aches, half pity. gucci scarf black louis vuitton scarf men I can only cry in heart secretly, you will not see my tears flowed (said to his father) did not know how to normal growth, more do not know when to go astray (exaggerated rhetoric). chanel scarf price where to buy hermes scarves Your personalization can be individualized or group oriented. louis vuitton rose scarf
                              ghqljsvb http://www.studio-duv.com/js/vintage-hermes-scarf.html yyczmxwt

Comment

• Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                                NEWSARAMA is "reliable"...?
                                I never use it, I can't stomach their invasive ads.
                                I hate the ads, the site format, and the like, but when they report news they do it as news. I don't bother with their best/worst/etc. top ten lists, or their guesswork about what might happen, but those are all labeled as such.

Comment

Working...
                                X