No announcement yet.

My DC reading list is shrinking again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the "Blood Moon" thing has changed again. Now it's got the definite title CONVERGENCE, and is being edited not by Tom DeFalco, but by Dan DiDio and Marie Javins, and the weekly spine series is being written by Jeff King (who is described as "executive producer and writer on White Collar, Shattered and Continuum. He also wrote and produced on Due South, Total Recall 2070, Stargate SG-1 and Relic Hunter") instead of Scott Lobdell.

Comment

• Fingers crossed it will lead to good things. No idea, really.

If it damages the various versions of the characters, I'll just happy stick with my own headcanon for them. (See also: Spider-Verse.)

Comment

• Here's a good thing from DC... Wonder Woman '77, based on the Lynda Carter TV series. I only wish it could have been based on the first season (but then, the title Wonder Woman '42 might have been a little confusing). Hopefully, we'll get some of those 1940s-set Season One stories anyway.

Comment

• Part of me ponders headcanon...

I haven't yet checked them out, but how compatible is the Batman 66/Green Hornet stuff with the Dynamite GH? (I assume not at all, but just checking.)

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
            Part of me ponders headcanon...

I haven't yet checked them out, but how compatible is the Batman 66/Green Hornet stuff with the Dynamite GH? (I assume not at all, but just checking.)
            About as compatible as Batman '66 is with regular DC universe Batman... but remember, DE's Hornet isn't like the NOW Comics version from the '90s, so for DE's continuity, the Hornet '67 doesn't exist.

Comment

• More on that CONVERGENCE story, from (of all places) USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2...sive/18249201/

Comment

• Convergence promo image:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	- - - ConvergencePromo - wider but smaller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	48910

Comment

• I'll take a stab at identifying the images... there's a few question marks in this list, anyone else want to try to pin an ID on these?
                  [View full-size image]
                  Pictured (left to right):
                  TOP ROW:
                  ???
                  ??? : Batman (and some smoke)
                  Rock of Eternity: Shazam? (possibly during Infinite Crisis; red skies)
                  Earth-X: Freedom Fighters
                  Earth-1 (or "post-COIE pocket universe"): Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes
                  2nd ROW:
                  Pre-Flashpoint DCU
                  Zero Hour DCU
                  Earth-2: JSA/Infinity Inc.
                  Earth-3: Crime Syndicate of America
                  Earth-4: Charlton Action Heroes
                  Earth-S: Captain Marvel Family
                  Earth-Prime?
                  3rd ROW:
                  Superman: Red Son (Elseworlds)
                  Kingdom Come (Elseworlds)
                  Flashpoint DCU
                  ???
                  Batman: Red Rain/Bloodstorm/Crimson Mist (Elseworlds)
                  Wildstorm Universe
                  Earth-C: The Amazing Zoo Crew
                  4th ROW:
                  Earth A.D. (After Disaster): Kamandi, Ben Boxer, Dr. Canus, Prince Tuftan
                  Earth-OMAC (Batman Beyond era seen in New 52 Futures End)
                  ???
                  ???
                  DC Tangent Universe
                  DC One Million: Justice Legion Alpha
                  ???
                  Last edited by pulphero; 11-14-2014, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• The plot thickens...

It seems that what all that "versus" talk amounts to is actually a theme. Characters from various Earths in the DC Multiverse(s) are being attacked by various DCU characters from the Flashpoint universe. Or at least this is what's going on in several of the 2-issue miniseries. Others seem to have no apparent Flashpoint connection. The Extremists (from the DC knockoff-Marvel earth) show up in a few of the titles, as well. There are also several references to "the dome" (represented as a hexagonal grid in the sky overhead), which I infer means the various "bottled earths" that Brainiac has collected...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/...acle-and-more/
                    Last edited by pulphero; 11-14-2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                      I understand what DC is trying to do and it's a good idea (courting the young female audience). The problem I have is that the articles seem to imply that it's still Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. Barbara is not 15 and that's what this version of Batgirl looks like. If it's not Barbara that's fine as well, it wouldn't be the first time some one else has taken the name. But is is not, should not, could not be Barbara Gordon!
                      Just got around to reading this. It's a pretty dense, sluggish read IMO. Way too much dialogue and too many panels per page to make this anything but a real slog to get through. But again, it isn't aimed at me... who knows, it might be working for the audience it's aimed at (teenage girls).

Oddly enough, it seems you were right on the money. This sure doesn't seem like it has any continuity with prior versions of the Barbara Gordon character. Scene 1 has her awakening with a hangover after a hard night of partying, and not even remembering some dude she was hanging all over the night before... WTF??? Would have worked far more acceptably as a reboot from the get-go back in September '11.

In one scene, some sneak-thief even makes a metatextual reference to the revamped artistic approach with the comment "What are you, like fourteen?"

The rest of the story is all about smartphones, tablets, laptops and social media apps. Def not my bag.

Comment

• I'm very interested in the new Batgirl but due to two unexpected massive car repairs (within one week!!) I've had to cut back on a lot of the comics I was getting. It's on my "get later" list.

Comment

• DC's "cool beans" book of the week for Dec. 3rd, 2014.

BATMAN THE JIRO KUWATA BATMANGA TP VOL 01 (OF 3)
                          DC COMICS
                          (W/A/CA) Jiro Kuwata
                          In the 1960s, at the height of the Batman TV series' popularity, a shonen manga magazine in Japan serialized fifty-three chapters of original comics starring The Dark Knight, all written and illustrated by Managaka Jiro Kuwata. Now, DC Entertainment is proud to publish the complete Batman Manga adventures in English for the first time in three painstakingly restored volumes. The adventure begins when the Dynamic Duo faces the insidious threat of Lord Death Man!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BatManga - Jiro Kuwata.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	48922

Comment

• http://www.newsarama.com/22883-dc-co...nvergence.html

Ah, crap.

The co-publisher also revealed that the Blood Moon will have 40 cities from doomed timelines and worlds throughout DCs history and lore.
                            "Doomed"? Oh well, if that remains the case (maybe by the end they get saved after all) then this will just be part of the New 52 world for me, and not a valid continuation of any worlds prior.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                              http://www.newsarama.com/22883-dc-co...nvergence.html

Ah, crap.

"Doomed"? Oh well, if that remains the case (maybe by the end they get saved after all) then this will just be part of the New 52 world for me, and not a valid continuation of any worlds prior.
                              Weren't they doomed the minute Dan DiDio and Jim Lee took over as publishers of DC? Or at the very least, when FLASHPOINT arrived. Guess that makes Brainiac the hero of this story.

Comment

• I subscribe to the Grant Morrison Animal Man "Whenever someone reads our stories, we live again" approach. So for me, whatever DC decides, Earth-pre-Flashpoint will forever go on spinning, but ideally (ideally, I say, with no real certainty from the powers that be at DC) this will be the moment at which DC says, "Right, we need to at least pacify the fans who want the old characters to get their happy ending, so at the end of this, they'll all live on but probably never be seen again as long as we're in charge" (and then we'll see them all again in ten years with the next wave of nostalgia, before or after yet another reboot for good or for bad).

In my wilder fantasies, DC will say, "Yeah, OK, fine, we'll put out a book or a few about these non-New-52 worlds, because there's a market for it, so what the hell." But after the last few years, I'm not holding my breath.

I will be displeased if DC gives us what we've been asking for and then snatches it away by saying, "Yes, Wally and Donna and the married Clark and Lois and the others lived on... for a year under that dome, and then died nobly to save the New 52, never to be seen again, muhuhuhahaha. WEEP, FANBOYS, WEEP! YOUR TEARS GIVE US SUSTENANCE!!"

So... I guess we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X