No announcement yet.

My DC reading list is shrinking again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ralph, Kindle seems to have the best availability right now, but it goes back to my old argument against Apple. Do you really want to lock yourself into a system where the only supplier of the hardware/device/application is also the only provider of the content file format?

Sure, it's great for Amazon, sales for one feed off another. What choices does the consumer have to purchase things from other retailers? No, my argument would be that you're looking for the same model as seen in the world of "IBM-compatible" PCs: i.e., multiple hardware manufacturers competing to sell the best products, and multiple software providers competing with each other to provide the best software that will run on several different manufacturers' hardware. That competition gives the consumer a choice, and doesn't lock him into a dependency on one company to provide all his needs. When there's no competition and no choice, the consumer is at the mercy of a single provider after purchasing the hardware and committing to a large collection of software. Engineering standards need to be in place so that different companies can bring stability to the market by compatibility.

You wouldn't want to buy a DVD player from Sony, and have it only be compatible with DVDs that you needed to purchase from Sony, would you?
    Last edited by pulphero; 06-20-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

G'day.

I'm a fellow who refuses to use Apple computers and uses an Android smart phone for the reason you gave. But in this case I don't regard it as much of a problem. Calibre allows me to change the book into another format. ( http://calibre-ebook.com/) If someone comes up with something better then a Kindle I'll eventually upgrade , but Kindle or no Kindle I expect to be upgrading eventually anyway just like I upgrade my computer, TV, mobile phone etc over the years.

ta

Ralph

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
      Ralph, Kindle seems to have the best availability right now, but it goes back to my old argument against Apple. Do you really want to lock yourself into a system where the only supplier of the hardware/device/application is also the only provider of the content file format?

Sure, it's great for Amazon, sales for one feed off another. What choices does the consumer have to purchase things from other retailers? No, my argument would be that you're looking for the same model as seen in the world of "IBM-compatible" PCs: i.e., multiple hardware manufacturers competing to sell the best products, and multiple software providers competing with each other to provide the best software that will run on several different manufacturers' hardware. That competition gives the consumer a choice, and doesn't lock him into a dependency on one company to provide all his needs. When there's no competition and no choice, the consumer is at the mercy of a single provider after purchasing the hardware and committing to a large collection of software. Engineering standards need to be in place so that different companies can bring stability to the market by compatibility.

You wouldn't want to buy a DVD player from Sony, and have it only be compatible with DVDs that you needed to purchase from Sony, would you?
      Last edited by ralphuniverse; 06-20-2014, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
        Calibre allows me to change the book into another format. ( http://calibre-ebook.com/) If someone comes up with something better then a Kindle I'll eventually upgrade , but Kindle or no Kindle I expect to be upgrading eventually anyway just like I upgrade my computer, TV, mobile phone etc over the years.
        Well, there's a certain mindset that goes along with being a book collector/hoarder, that I think it's fair to say the 'average reader' (whatever that might be defined as) doesn't share.
        When you buy a paper book, barring mishandling or acts of nature, you expect that book to still be there for you and readable, 10, 20, 30 or more years down the road. Otherwise, we'd just read them and get rid of them. There's a certain uneasiness associated with computer files which, even if you're careful to back them up and have access to some app that can translate certain file formats into other file formats, you're not entirely sure if you'll be able to read that same file in 30 years or more. None of us wants to have to purchase the same book multiple times, like people do with Star Wars movies every time they change format from VHS to laserdisc, to DVD, to Blu-Ray.

Comment

For me I think, "Wow, I have a few precious pictures of dead loved ones I was able to rescue from JADE .FAT files and make into jpgs before some previous computer could no longer view them, so how do I know the same won't happen with other stuff?" (I can't even find info about JADE anymore... it was on an old Mac of mine, and I know it was less than 20 years ago, but it's as if the format was so old or obscure that it's wholly forgotten.)

I thought when I was younger, and still think things OUGHT to work this way even though they don't, that all newer computers should be able to work with all older, more primitive stuff, but it just doesn't work that way, alas. (There are emulators, I know...) Oh, my high school days of the TRS-80 Color Computer with 4K! And the varieties of Mac in college! And then my Amiga 500 (who remembers the game Lemmings?)! And then more Macs... I upgraded the one I have and then several programs would no longer work. (This sort of thing is why I wonder if digital comics file formats will, in fact, remain usable, say, 10, 20, or 30 years from now--because in a very short time I've seen things come into being and then go away essentially forever. Heck, the Amiga was considered THE graphics computer for a while, and I think the special effects for Babylon 5 were done using its Video Toaster--all, no doubt, unusable now by today's computers.)

Comment

Well, there's a certain mindset that goes along with being a book collector/hoarder, that I think it's fair to say the 'average reader' (whatever that might be defined as) doesn't share.
            When you buy a paper book, barring mishandling or acts of nature, you expect that book to still be there for you and readable, 10, 20, 30 or more years down the road. Otherwise, we'd just read them and get rid of them. There's a certain uneasiness associated with computer files which, even if you're careful to back them up and have access to some app that can translate certain file formats into other file formats, you're not entirely sure if you'll be able to read that same file in 30 years or more. None of us wants to have to purchase the same book multiple times, like people do with Star Wars movies every time they change format from VHS to laserdisc, to DVD, to Blu-Ray.
            Though, frustratingly, I am confident that the sellers of such things feel quite happy about people buying them again and again, and thus have a vested financial stake in people not being able to just translate them over to new formats. I cringe at what will happen to my digital music/CDs years from now.

(Not to mention, let's say for the sake of argument... Amazon has bought Comixology. I remember a time before Amazon; we may, in our lifetimes, have a time after Amazon. Some other new thing may push Amazon out of the market as completely as Amazon pushed, say, Borders out of the market. When that happens, and either Amazon just goes away or is bought by some other company, is there any real reason to expect them, as they turn out the lights, to set up something so everyone who has their stuff via Comixology can keep it? Why wouldn't the "Invisible Hand of the Marketplace," when faced with the wail of a thousand comics fans asking where their bought comics are now, say, "Sorry, dudes, sucks to be you, but you can buy the new version of those same books again through our latest app"?)

Comment

Back to DC again for a moment...

Interesting comments from Geoff Johns on Twitter a couple of days ago:

"I miss writing the Justice Society."

"The Justice Society needs the history to really work IMO. All about legacy. Dr. Mid-Nite, Mr. Terrific, Atom Smasher, Cyclone..."

Comment

G'day,

True, which is why I expect paper books to still survive in some form, although much more limited then now. Selling books to collectors is very different from the mass market which is what the big publishers target. Expect to see far fewer bookshops, including comic book shops. As I previously mentioned the proprietor of my comic book book shop (which has been around for over 30 years) is seeing digital effect his business.

Really the question is when do I join the train? Do I hold out longer and hope I don't live to see it or do I hop on now even If I'm not sure were the train is leading? In my case I decided to go for the ride. (at least with conventional books, I expect to get something suitable for comics in the near future.)

ta

Ralph

P.S. If anyone interested heres a link to an article by a couple of mid range authors on the topic

Last edited by ralphuniverse; 06-22-2014, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Interesting comments from Geoff Johns on Twitter a couple of days ago:

"I miss writing the Justice Society."

"The Justice Society needs the history to really work IMO. All about legacy. Dr. Mid-Nite, Mr. Terrific, Atom Smasher, Cyclone..."
                  This gives me so many mixed feelings. Is this pre-Flashpoint Geoff Johns, or would this be New 52 let's-make-everything-grim Geoff Johns? I should not want to SLAP the members of the Justice League, so if he's going to bring a New 52 sensibility to some new form of the Justice Society, count me out. Will this apply the principles behind "go for the eyes" Wonder Woman and jerky Hal/Arthur to the Society?

On the other hand, if he's been constrained to make the heroes into jerks in the new universe, and wants to go for a better approach, I'm all for it.

God, we need a reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                    This gives me so many mixed feelings. Is this pre-Flashpoint Geoff Johns, or would this be New 52 let's-make-everything-grim Geoff Johns? I should not want to SLAP the members of the Justice League, so if he's going to bring a New 52 sensibility to some new form of the Justice Society, count me out. Will this apply the principles behind "go for the eyes" Wonder Woman and jerky Hal/Arthur to the Society?

On the other hand, if he's been constrained to make the heroes into jerks in the new universe, and wants to go for a better approach, I'm all for it.

God, we need a reboot.
                    I feel sorry for Geoff Johns. He sold his soul for a raise, job security (because where else was he going to go, really?) and a grandiose but ultimately meaningless title ("Chief Creative Officer"). He can't really make any creative decisions, because everything he does now is subject to Dan Didio's 'creative vision' of the DCU. I really don't blame Johns so much. He's got bills to pay, probably a family to take care of. What's he going to do, ignore the money waved under his nose and walk away from DC because someone else is running it contrary to the way he'd do it?

Johns built his rep on a knowledge and love of the company's history and continuity. He had the gift of being able to look at a box of broken toys and realize exactly how they'd been broken and what was needed to fix them up. JSA, Teen Titans, Hawkman (Carter), Green Lantern (Hal), LSH, Booster Gold, Flash (Barry)... he fixed them all and made them worth reading again, even if only (in some cases) for a short time. Then Dan Didio decided to take a sledgehammer to the whole toybox.

Now, he's just a high-level functionary following the marching orders given him. There's a bitterness and darkness in a lot of his work that wasn't there in his pre-52 salad days (although the dark aspects were already starting to ramp up by the time of Blackest Night). There's no joy for him now for the most part, although occasionally, very occasionally, you can see a hint of the Geoff Johns of old peeking through, as in his re-introduction of the Metal Men during the Forever Evil crossover.

Comment

The words "Jawohl, mein Didio!" come to mind...

Comment

New 'Batgirl'

Have you seen the new DC take on Batgirl?
                        Attached Files
                        Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                        Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                        http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                          Have you seen the new DC take on Batgirl?
                          It's not aimed at people like me, but I can see where low sales could prompt a reinvention in a more lighthearted vein, aimed at a younger, mostly female audience. It almost looks like the 'cosplay' version of Batgirl. I figure this character has been rebooted so many times (just like Supergirl) that it's not worth worrying about.

Female comic book characters always seem to be perceived as less visually iconic than the male heroes, and more subject to re-envisioning. I am reminded of past revamps like Mike Sekowski's, Mike Deodato's, or Jim Lee's redesigns of Wonder Woman, or Darwyn Cooke's redesign of Catwoman. Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn have both had multiple fashion makeovers, as well. Despite the stylistic shift to a more 'cartoon' sort of artwork, this costume redesign is far less radical than any of those. They kept the basic look and colors, but there's an obvious nod to the young fashionistas there. Perhaps the most striking element of this costume is the lace-up boots, but what the heck, I guess they figured if lace-up Hi-top Converse All-Stars could work for Damian Wayne/Robin, then why not Batgirl. Come to think of it, I think the DC animated universe redesign of Supergirl used a similar style of lace-up boots, and what about those thick-soled biker boots with big buckles that Cooke's Catwoman had? No, all things considered, this particular take on Batgirl is no big deal.
                          Last edited by pulphero; 07-12-2014, 02:31 AM.

Comment

I understand what DC is trying to do and it's a good idea (courting the young female audience). The problem I have is that the articles seem to imply that it's still Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. Barbara is not 15 and that's what this version of Batgirl looks like. If it's not Barbara that's fine as well, it wouldn't be the first time some one else has taken the name. But is is not, should not, could not be Barbara Gordon!
                            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                              I understand what DC is trying to do and it's a good idea (courting the young female audience). The problem I have is that the articles seem to imply that it's still Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. Barbara is not 15 and that's what this version of Batgirl looks like. If it's not Barbara that's fine as well, it wouldn't be the first time some one else has taken the name. But is is not, should not, could not be Barbara Gordon!
                              How can you tell how old she's supposed to be from one drawing? Don't you usually have to determine that from the context of the stories? Didn't all of DC's characters become younger as a result of the New 52 reboot? If they want to pull another rabbit from their magic hat, and make her younger still, they will. They can erase any lingering hints that she was ever confined to a wheelchair while they're at it. Continuity in the old school fan sense of thinking went out the window some time ago. Or maybe they'll just have her take a bubble bath in a Lazarus Pit, or have Zatanna backwards-magic her into a teenager.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. If they want Barbara Gordon to be 15, she's 15. Not that I really think that's what they intend here, but if it works for the purposes of courting that young female audience, then it is what it is. I really can't imagine that DC's deluding themselves that they could attract enough of the teenage girl demographic to sustain a monthly title, but who knows, they've done crazier things.

Sorry if this is coming off a little flippantly, but honestly, I can't believe in this day and age that anyone is going to cry foul by the rationale of "But... that would violate continuity!" Seems to me that DC and Marvel haven't been playing by that particular rulebook in years and years. If they one day decide that Captain America had a completely different costume than the one portrayed in 1940s comic books during WWII, then history is rewritten, Ministry of Truth-style, to accomodate the new reality.

Comment

G'day,

It does not seem they want to rewrite her, just send her off to grad school and a newer, more hip, direction. Here is what the writer have said.

Stewart: Batgirl has really been put through the wringer in recent years – after being attacked and paralyzed by the Joker, her brother turning out to be a serial murderer, the trauma of her family breaking apart and the series of gruesome villains she’s had to contend with, we figured she deserved a break from all that. Just prior to the start of our story she’s pushed to the breaking point and decides that she’s had it with misery and darkness and wants a change. She wants the opportunity to have some fun and live the life of a young, single girl in the city, so she packs up and moves to Burnside, the cool, trendy borough of Gotham, to focus on grad school.

Fletcher: And that’s where we kick off our run – introducing this part of the city known for expensive coffee, fixie bikes, vintage shops and breakout bands. Barbara allows herself to be immersed in youth culture for the first time, exploring the social side of life in Burnside. That’s not to say there isn’t mystery, of course! Try as she might to live a “normal” life, Barbara very quickly finds herself drawn back into the world of crime fighting. Our take on Batgirl mixes the best elements of “Veronica Mars” and “Girls,” with a dash of “Sherlock” thrown in for good measure.

Tarr: I am excited to bring some flirt, fun, and fashion to the title! I don’t think you see a lot of that in mainstream comics and I am excited to bring that to the table. Who doesn’t love a sassy super hero?

Seems they want to put the "girl" back into Bat Girl. People do seem to like the new costume. Might pick up the first issue, might be fun.

ta

Ralph

Click image for larger version

Name:	thqqgwd0tbwgymsohzuh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	48860

How can you tell how old she's supposed to be from one drawing? Don't you usually have to determine that from the context of the stories? Didn't all of DC's characters become younger as a result of the New 52 reboot? If they want to pull another rabbit from their magic hat, and make her younger still, they will. They can erase any lingering hints that she was ever confined to a wheelchair while they're at it. Continuity in the old school fan sense of thinking went out the window some time ago. Or maybe they'll just have her take a bubble bath in a Lazarus Pit, or have Zatanna backwards-magic her into a teenager.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. If they want Barbara Gordon to be 15, she's 15. Not that I really think that's what they intend here, but if it works for the purposes of courting that young female audience, then it is what it is. I really can't imagine that DC's deluding themselves that they could attract enough of the teenage girl demographic to sustain a monthly title, but who knows, they've done crazier things.

Sorry if this is coming off a little flippantly, but honestly, I can't believe in this day and age that anyone is going to cry foul by the rationale of "But... that would violate continuity!" Seems to me that DC and Marvel haven't been playing by that particular rulebook in years and years. If they one day decide that Captain America had a completely different costume than the one portrayed in 1940s comic books during WWII, then history is rewritten, Ministry of Truth-style, to accomodate the new reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X