Dark Horse Heroes thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Horse Heroes thread

Well, here I am, my Dynamite reading list having shrunk to a mere dozen (from more like 18-20 at one point).

And I need to transfer that love somewhere, right? And it's not going to be DC or Marvel (who each come in under DE's dozen for me).

Of course I'm already familiar with Captain Midnight, Skyman, Brain Boy, Blackout, Ghost and X.
    So, there a number of Dark Horse Heroes titles I haven't read but would like to check out. Appreciate any thoughts from anyone who's read...

The Answer
    The Victories
    Catalyst Comix
    The Occultist

Been reading The Victories and it's amazing, as was Furious from Dark Horse, but man..... Lobster Johnson: Iron Prometheus and Get the Lobster have been fun as hell. I just got Sledgehammer 44 today too! Black Beetle, as you know, has been a fun ride, and well.....that's about it. Too bad The Victories is ending though, that book is stellar!

Haven't read Catalyst Comix yet.
    Last edited by BslytheGamerGuy; 06-05-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Just finshed the first issue of Brain Boy: Agent from G.E.S.T.A.L.T.

Immediately called my LCS to order the TPB of the eariler series. The new series doesn't tie into Project Blacksky but I'm sure it will.
      That means my Darkhorse list is Capt. Midnight & Brain Boy with Ghost as a probable and Lobster Johnson and Back Beetle as possibles.
      Issue 1 was an interesting mix of set up for the future and action. You get enough of a look at BBs personality but you arn't overwhelmed by it. A very good jump on point for us new readers.
      Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
      Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
      http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post

Immediately called my LCS to order the TPB of the eariler series. The new series doesn't tie into Project Blacksky but I'm sure it will.
        That means my Darkhorse list is Capt. Midnight & Brain Boy with Ghost as a probable and Lobster Johnson and Back Beetle as possibles.
        Issue 1 was an interesting mix of set up for the future and action. You get enough of a look at BBs personality but you arn't overwhelmed by it. A very good jump on point for us new readers.
        I'm telling you, give Lobster Johnson a shot, it's right up your alley.

Comment

Lobster Johnson is a spectacular book that is very heavily pulp oriented, and Abe Sapien falls under pulp/macabre. Definitely worth checking out, especially LJ since he's very similar to a GH or The Shadow.

Love The Victories but wasn't big into Catalyst Comix, that was bland to me. Dark Horse is killing it with their Project Black Sky stuff, it's a blast.

Comment

I was planning to give it a look but my LCS wa sold out of Issue #4. I decided to bite the bullet and pick up the TPB when it comes out rather than jump in mid-stream.
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Originally posted by BslytheGamerGuy View Post
              Been reading The Victories and it's amazing, as was Furious from Dark Horse, but man..... Lobster Johnson: Iron Prometheus and Get the Lobster have been fun as hell. I just got Sledgehammer 44 today too! Black Beetle, as you know, has been a fun ride, and well.....that's about it. Too bad The Victories is ending though, that book is stellar!

Haven't read Catalyst Comix yet.
              Yeah, didn't mention anything from the Mignolaverse because... it's not part of the "Dark Horse Heroes" initiative. Black Beetle IS... and missing-in-action. Where IS that damn Necrologue anyway!! I can't stand it! I guess when you get right down to it, the Lobster (whom I've been following since the beginning of his first series) deserves the credit for piquing my interest in more Dark Horse, followed by Black Beetle, followed by Captain Midnight, followed by Brain Boy, followed by Blackout... now I'm expanding a bit beyond the pure pulp and Project Black Sky, into "Dark Horse Heroes"... (not all part of a common universe, like the Mignolaverse or PBS), while simultaneously revisiting some of "Comics' Greatest World". And at some point I'm going to go back and fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the Mignolaverse.

Definitely going to check out The Victories.

Comment

You know, some people just take one look at at title like "Lobster Johnson" or "Brain Boy" and roll their eyes... "You gotta be kidding me!"

Do NOT hesitate on Black Beetle. If it isn't the pulpiest comic book in America... then it's a slap fight, Lobster claw vs. Beetle mandible. And I say this knowing full well I am placing them both on that stratospheric level with The Shadow Year One, Green Hornet Year One, and Mark Waid's Green Hornet. Well, those characters have the long reputations, but Black Beetle and Lobster Johnson are earning theirs, just as The Rocketeer did, not having the good fortune to have been around in the 1930s.

Comment

Black Beetle

Picked up issue #3 of No Way Out a while ago. It was okay but with it being the 3rd issue of a 4 issue wseries I figure to give it another shot. Is there any TPBS out for BB that I could grab? Do you recomend one in particular?

Comment

Picked up issue #3 of No Way Out a while ago. It was okay but with it being the 3rd issue of a 4 issue wseries I figure to give it another shot. Is there any TPBS out for BB that I could grab? Do you recomend one in particular?
                    The TPB is out and yes, it was a great story and a fun piece of pulp. Go grab it!

Comment

Originally posted by BslytheGamerGuy View Post
                      The TPB is out and yes, it was a great story and a fun piece of pulp. Go grab it!
                      The Dark Horse web site and my LCS only have a listing for the Hard Cover so I'll wait. If it makes it to a TPB I'll be sure and grab it.

Comment

Actually, it's just the one hardcover ("No Way Out") at this point. It includes the 4 issue miniseries plus the one-shot #0 ("Nightshift") from Dark Horse Presents. But Amazon has it for just over $15. That's less than the price of the 5 original issues at cover price, plus you get some nice bonus material in the back. Marvel and DC price all their comparable trade paperbacks between $15-$18 nowadays anyway. Throw a couple of Lobster Johnson TPBs in your shopping cart while you're at it, and you've got the $35 minimum order you need to qualify for Amazon's free shipping, so what are you waiting for? You should get it before the new BB miniseries, "Necrologue" comes out in July (hopefully!) You'll probably wind up paying nearly as much if you wait for the trade pulperback, and buy it as soon as it comes out, and who knows how long before it's solicited.

[Not affiliated with Dark Horse Comics or Amazon.com. Ask your doctor if Black Beetle and Lobster Johnson are right for you. This has been a Public Service Announcement.]
                        Last edited by pulphero; 06-06-2014, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Just finished the first issue of Brain Boy: Agent from G.E.S.T.A.L.T.
                          Brain Boy: The Men from G.E.S.T.A.L.T. #2 ships June 18.

Has anyone read Dark Horse's Bloodhound by Dan Jolley and Leonard Kirk? Volume 2 TPB ("Crowbar Medicine") ships June 18 as well. This doesn't really look to me like it belongs in the "Dark Horse Heroes" category, but that's how DH classifies it. Any good?

For anyone interested in seeing an overview of Dark Horse's "SUPER" line-up (touted in a bunch of full-page ads last year), Comics Alliance posted an article last year spotlighting them all.
                          Last edited by pulphero; 06-19-2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Just picked up the Brain Boy TPB I'll let you know hoe it is once I get a chance to read it.

Comment

Been finding a few odds and ends of DH Heroes books here and there. Found The Occultist (2nd miniseries) #1, which was fairly interesting, as was The Answer #2 (the only issue I could find). I also managed to locate issues #1 through 4 (missing #5 at the moment) of The Victories, along with #1-5 of the second series of that title. Going to hold out a little and try to get a copy of #5 of the first series before reading this book. That should be 2 complete story arcs.

Comment

Working...
                              X