No announcement yet.

Any fans of Marvel's All-New Invaders?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any fans of Marvel's All-New Invaders?

I enjoy reading stories with the Golden Age characters, and I loved the original Invaders run written by Roy Thomas back in the day. I'm also buying All-New Invaders by James Robinson . . . in fact, it's the only current Marvel book I'm buying these days.

BUT, the numbers from Diamond's Top 300 Comic Books lists aren't very encouraging for a long future for this title.
    * Jan. 2014 = 18th - ALL NEW INVADERS #1 - 55,167 copies (http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/27835.html)
    * Feb. 2014 = 58th - ALL NEW INVADERS #2 - 32,293 copies (http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28148.html)
    * March 2014 = 80th - ALL NEW INVADERS #3 - 27,329 copies (http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28315.html)
    * April 2014 = 102nd - ALL NEW INVADERS #4 - 22,927 copies (http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28603.html)
    * May 2014 =109th - ALL NEW INVADERS #5 - 21,843 copies (http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28865.html)

And while a steep drop from numbers for a first issue is not uncommon, the fact that after only five issues the numbers from Diamond are already near just 20,000 copies has not usually been a good sign when it comes to the continued existence for a Marvel title.

So, please buy this book if you don't already do so . . . don't be a trade-waiter!

The steep dropoff from issue #1 to #2 can be accounted for by the fact that Marvel offered additional discount incentives (3 levels) for the first issue based on matching or exceeding the retailer's order for Avengers #19. They also produced 5 variant covers at different levels. You have to give Marvel credit for trying to make sure the book was available to anyone interested in purchasing it. They also produced a promotional poster and other advertising.
    Last edited by pulphero; 06-17-2014, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I like it! It's by James Robinson, so of course I do.

I do hope we'll get something like "Times Past" showing old adventures too...
      Last edited by ChastMastr; 06-18-2014, 04:48 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
        I like it! It's by James Robinson, so of course I do.

I do hope we'll get something like "Times Past" showing old adventures too...
        If it lasts that long . . .

Comment

I've got to hand it to Mr. Robinson. His pitch to sell Marvel on the idea of a revamped Invaders team book must have been pretty good. Of course, it doesn't hurt that this is exactly the sort of thing that Robinson does best, and perhaps a parallel was drawn here between Invaders and the pre-52 JSA/Justice Society title by Geoff Johns at DC, where it had remained a decent-selling book for a number of years.

Other similar books in the recent past at Marvel were The Twelve by J. Michael Straczynski and the whole "Marvel 70th Anniversary" thing (with The Marvels Project as a centerpiece and a bunch of GA retro one-shots). Not exactly sure how The Twelve sold (although certainly a critical hit), but the 70th Anniversary was a bit of an under-performer as judged by Marvel 'event' sales standards. That might have given TPTB at Marvel some pause, as would the less than stellar prior sales on the DE co-produced previous Invaders and Human Torch miniseries (although the initial Avengers/Invaders miniseries did pretty well). Maybe the deciding factor was that the book would be taking place in the present and not the 1940s. Golden Age flashback stories have been kind of a tough sell at Marvel in recent decades.

Could be it was a mistake not to title a book with the same characters and creative team as "Something AVENGERS Something", in order to guarantee a certain percentage of Pavlovian sales response.
          Last edited by pulphero; 06-19-2014, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Avenging Invaders, perhaps?

Comment

This might not be the time to bring it up, but I never particularly cared for the name "The Invaders", as applied to a team of superheroes. To me, "The Invaders" is something I associate with a covert plan of malevolent extraterrestrials to infiltrate our society and claim our world for their own. As in the Quinn Martin Productions television series of the same name starring Roy Thinnes, which is where Stan Lee heard the name and liked it. He mandated Roy Thomas to use it for a comic book series, but Stan was originally thinking of a book featuring a Hulk/Sub-Mariner team-up. Which would have been appropriate enough, given the aggressive characterization of those two, and their dual hero/villain nature when it came to other superheroes. I guess that book would have been a little like the later Super-Villain Team-Up. However, by the time Roy got around to it, those two had already been teamed together with Dr. Strange as The Defenders. Now, as names go, you can't get a better public-relations confidence-inspiring name than The Defenders, which is strange for a "non-team" of outsider characters who aren't really "joiners". ("The Champions" isn't bad, either. Good, solid name with no negative connotations.) Conversely, "The Invaders" has kind of a sinister implication to it, not something the public would associate with "the good guys". It makes it sound (in a WWII context) like we're the aggressors here. Now, I'm well aware that Roy Thomas justified the monicker in story terms by having FDR give the group their mandate to invade Hitler's "Fortress Europa". But it's just not a name you want for propaganda purposes (which is what Captain America wore the flag as a costume for, right?) or for the newsreels. "Invaders" just doesn't have the ring of "we're the good guys", not like a group with the word "Justice" in the title. That sounds solid and righteous. Roy Thomas would have better named the team something like "Sentinels of Liberty" (after the old Timely Comics Captain America fan club) or (as he later used for another Golden Age group) "The Liberty Legion".

When you get right down to it, "Avengers" is another name that wouldn't pass muster with public relations focus testing. It sounds too similar to vengeance or revenge, which has a dark connotation to it. We want to inspire public confidence, not give some impression that these guys are pursuing their own personal vigilante-style justice. Admittedly, it wasn't chosen for that reason, it was chosen because it had a catchy ring to it (and besides, what's an airhead heiress like The Wasp know about PR, anyway?) Anyway, we're stuck with it now. But it has marketing value as part of a comic book franchise these days, where "Invaders" doesn't (not to the typical comic book consumer today), and the Invaders name has even less justification outside the WWII context. OK, so in their first outing as a resurrected team they invaded the Kree homeworld, Hala. But are they going to "invade" something in every story? Slapping the word "Avengers" on there is justifiable by virtue of the fact that Cap is on the team, and he's the de facto leader of the Avengers, anyway (even if Tony Stark might not agree). So... Avengers Task Force, or something similar that they haven't used already.

Comment

Aieee! Not "Task Force" again, LOL...

Comment

More than a little prosaic, I'll admit. I personally don't care what they call it. If making the book look like part of the Avengers franchise gives it a better chance at extended life, then that would be the practical choice. Just so long as this particular group of characters and this creative team is allowed to continue and isn't cut short for poor sales.

Anybody got a better suggestion? Avenging Invaders (or the equally silly-sounding Invading Avengers) probably isn't going to cut it. Avengers Veterans? Maybe makes them sound too old (OK, they ARE old) to younger comic buyers. Conceptually, anyway, the Invaders were the Avengers of the 1940s. "All Winners" probably isn't going to fly either.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    More than a little prosaic, I'll admit. I personally don't care what they call it. If making the book look like part of the Avengers franchise gives it a better chance at extended life, then that would be the practical choice. Just so long as this particular group of characters and this creative team is allowed to continue and isn't cut short for poor sales.

Anybody got a better suggestion? Avenging Invaders (or the equally silly-sounding Invading Avengers) probably isn't going to cut it. Avengers Veterans? Maybe makes them sound too old (OK, they ARE old) to younger comic buyers. Conceptually, anyway, the Invaders were the Avengers of the 1940s. "All Winners" probably isn't going to fly either.
                    The Amazing Avenging X-Invaders?

Comment

Actually, it was more because it made me think of this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Justice_League_Task_Force.1a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	48852

Comment

Oh yeah, it was pretty bad, I'll grant that. The first thing you'd want to do is make the words JUSTICE LEAGUE (or in this case AVENGERS) dominate in a large font, while "Task Force" is a subtitle in a smaller font. That wouldn't have made the content of Justice League Task Force any less banal, but you get the idea.

Comment

Still a great read every month. I wonder now if Old Man Rogers will continue as a regular character in the series, or whether the book can long survive the loss of Captain America, far and away the most popular hero in this team lineup. Having Sam Wilson fill his position on the team just wouldn't seem right to me.

If I'm following this correctly, this team is just as covert (due at least in part to maintaining Winter Soldier's officially dead status as anything else) as the Illuminati, and none of the Avengers (other than Steve Rogers and Namor) are even aware it exists. Even though Jim Hammond just became an agent of SHIELD, I'm not sure even they are aware of the team, although they usually know more than they admit to.

Comment

I tried the first issue of this series last week. It was decent, but not great. Does the series get better as it goes on? Robinson's Fantastic Four series wasn't great at first either, but I enjoyed that one more as it continued.

Comment

Well, there it is... (found on Bleeding Cool)
                              I understand that Marvel have informed the editorial and creative teams that both the Invaders and Secret Avengers comics are on notice for cancellation and will survive on an issue-to-issue basis.

So if you like the books, now is the time to start evangelising on their behalf.

Comment

Working...
                              X