Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone reading Moon Knight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone reading Moon Knight?

    Marvel's current Moon Knight series has been pretty good. Anyone else reading it?
    In my opinion, it's the best Moon Knight series ever, and I have read a lot of Moon Knight.

  • #2
    G'day,

    I'm not. Why should I?

    ta

    Ralph

    Comment


    • #3
      The book is pretty great right now. I think Warren Ellis is writing it, and so far the series consists of 5 one-issue stories. The latest one (maybe my favorite) has a very simple story: Moon Knight fights his way through a building to rescue a kidnapped girl. This issue had some EPIC action.
      The best part of the series is that Moon Knight is crazy. In the old comics, he had several personalities: Marc Spector, a mercenary; Steven Grant, a millionaire; and Jake Lockley, a cab driver. But in these stories, our hero doesn't really use those personalities himself so much as talk to them. Now he seems to have two personalities that he uses. One is sort of a cross between Sherlock Holmes and a pulp vigilante, which is awesome, and when he uses that identity he wears an all white suit and a mask. In the other identity (which is more like a traditional superhero) he wears a variation on his classic costume. I probably prefer the first personality, but seeing him switch back and forth is interesting.
      If you do like this series, I would say the next-best Moon Knight stuff is the later issues of his first ongoing series in the early '80s (about issues #20-30). Those can be found in Marvel's Moon Knight Essentials vol. 2.

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe I'll give it another chance with issue #5. The stories seemed all over the map in the first four issues. At first, it seemed (and I was hoping) for a more modern pulp hero flavor for Ellis' take, but there's been a level of weirdness to it that I wasn't quite expecting, something more (but not quite) like Grant Morrison. #5 sounds more like that straightforward approach I was anticipating, so I'll give it one more shot.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
          If you do like this series, I would say the next-best Moon Knight stuff is the later issues of his first ongoing series in the early '80s (about issues #20-30). Those can be found in Marvel's Moon Knight Essentials vol. 2.
          I'm partial to the early part of the run when Bill Sienkiewicz was doing his best Neal Adams Batman impression.

          Comment


          • #6
            Besides Moon Knight, I only read a few other Marvel books. Silver Surfer, Hulk vs. Iron Man (by Mark Waid) and Fantastic Four.
            As for DC, they don't really have that many series I read either. Batman (which has been great since issue 1), Superman, and Tiny Titans are the only things I read at DC currently.

            Comment


            • #7
              G'day,

              Frankly the only Marvel title I get is Captain Marvel, I just love Kelly Sue DeConnick current space opera story. But as there are a couple of other books which I'm about to cancel, might give Moon Knight a go.

              ta

              Ralph


              Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
              Besides Moon Knight, I only read a few other Marvel books. Silver Surfer, Hulk vs. Iron Man (by Mark Waid) and Fantastic Four.
              As for DC, they don't really have that many series I read either. Batman (which has been great since issue 1), Superman, and Tiny Titans are the only things I read at DC currently.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hulk vs. Iron Man is good so far, and I can't wait to see Hulk smash iron man. Silver Surfer is lots of fun, and its a little weird. I didn't like Fantastic Four at first, but its pretty good now. A previous Fantastic Four series, FF, was good too.
                With Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Hawkeye I just wait for the trades. I was very sad when Superior Spiderman was over, I loved that book.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                  Hulk vs. Iron Man is good so far, and I can't wait to see Hulk smash iron man. Silver Surfer is lots of fun, and its a little weird. I didn't like Fantastic Four at first, but its pretty good now. A previous Fantastic Four series, FF, was good too.
                  With Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Hawkeye I just wait for the trades. I was very sad when Superior Spiderman was over, I loved that book.
                  Silver Surfer has been great. Anything Mike Allred does is fine by me. Kieron Gillen's Iron Man has been surprisingly good considering the length of its run, as has Mark Waid's Daredevil. Both are consistently entertaining month in, month out. Superior Spider-Man was a hoot while it lasted, although artistically dissatisfying (the only artist I really liked was the barely-seen Giuseppe Camuncoli). Alan Davis' first 2 issues of Savage Hulk have been a nice, fun callback to old-school Marvel, and just a slick looking book.

                  Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers (which is really The Illuminati) has been filling the uberpower niche pioneered by Warren Ellis in Stormwatch, The Authority, and Planetary (and continued by Mark Millar in The Ultimates, and J. Michael Straczynski in Supreme Power). Oddly enough I don't really care for his regular Avengers title (WAY too many characters in that army), although I loved him on Fantastic Four and FF.

                  James Robinson's All New Invaders is another great Marvel book that is being overlooked by most people. In this case it seems the writer has been perfectly matched to the characters; you can tell he's really into this stuff. Robinson's Fantastic Four is merely OK.

                  Have to say that so far, Moon Knight pales in comparison to most of these, as well as to the best of Ellis' work.

                  As far as the Original Sin stuff goes, at first it seemed really interesting, now I'm not so sure where it's going or if there will ultimately be any real point to it. So far the only real point seems to be that (just like Doctor Doom), they can disavow any bad Nick Fury stories by saying it was an LMD (instead of a Doombot). And apparently Jason Aaron didn't bother researching the character's history, since he's got "the real" (yeah right) Nick Fury running around in the 1950s with 2 good eyes (everyone knows he suffered the eye injury in WWII and has worn the patch ever since).

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sgt. Fury #27.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	48866

                  And that's pretty much about it for me for Marvel.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 07-20-2014, 12:31 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    Silver Surfer has been great. Anything Mike Allred does is fine by me. Kieron Gillen's Iron Man has been surprisingly good considering the length of its run, as has Mark Waid's Daredevil. Both are consistently entertaining month in, month out. Superior Spider-Man was a hoot while it lasted, although artistically dissatisfying (the only artist I really liked was the barely-seen Giuseppe Camuncoli). Alan Davis' first 2 issues of Savage Hulk have been a nice, fun callback to old-school Marvel, and just a slick looking book.

                    Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers (which is really The Illuminati) has been filling the uberpower niche pioneered by Warren Ellis in Stormwatch, The Authority, and Planetary (and continued by Mark Millar in The Ultimates, and J. Michael Straczynski in Supreme Power). Oddly enough I don't really care for his regular Avengers title (WAY too many characters in that army), although I loved him on Fantastic Four and FF.

                    James Robinson's All New Invaders is another great Marvel book that is being overlooked by most people. In this case it seems the writer has been perfectly matched to the characters; you can tell he's really into this stuff. Robinson's Fantastic Four is merely OK.

                    Have to say that so far, Moon Knight pales in comparison to most of these, as well as to the best of Ellis' work.

                    As far as the Original Sin stuff goes, at first it seemed really interesting, now I'm not so sure where it's going or if there will ultimately be any real point to it. So far the only real point seems to be that (just like Doctor Doom), they can disavow any bad Nick Fury stories by saying it was an LMD (instead of a Doombot). And apparently Jason Aaron didn't bother researching the character's history, since he's got "the real" (yeah right) Nick Fury running around in the 1950s with 2 good eyes (everyone knows he suffered the eye injury in WWII and has worn the patch ever since).

                    [ATTACH]790[/ATTACH]

                    And that's pretty much about it for me for Marvel.
                    Kieron Gillien's Iron Man is not one of the books I like. Maybe its because I hate Tony Stark (especially after the events of Hulk vs. Iron man). Gillien's previous work on X-men was enjoyable though.
                    Mark Waid's Daredevil has been good in the past, but I usually wait for trades.
                    I have not read Savage Hulk, but might give it a try.
                    I have only ever read one book I actually liked by Jonathan Hickman, and that was Ultimate Hawkeye. I usually don't enjoy his other stuff. I have been liking Robinson's Fantastic Four, and the previous Fantastic Four series by Matt Fraction were both good too.

                    Original Sin has been OK, but the eyepatch problem is annoying.

                    I can see what you meant before about Moon Knight being too weird. The first two issues weren't TOO weird (#1 was a little weird, but #2 was more straightforward) but #3 and #4 were both bizarre.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My problem with DC is that the "fun" books never last. Tiny Titans had a long run, (and a new miniseries) but Batman: Li'l Gotham and Superman Family Adventures both ended after 12 issue runs. At least Teen Titans Go! is still around.
                      The best part about Superman Family Adventures is that Jimmy Olsen is one of the main characters. Jimmy is the best Superman character, and one of the best DC characters.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                        Kieron Gillien's Iron Man is not one of the books I like. Maybe its because I hate Tony Stark (especially after the events of Hulk vs. Iron man).
                        Well, if you hate a character to begin with, even if it's well-done you're probably not going to be converted.

                        Keep an eye on that Original Sin 3.3... Gillen was involved in plotting (or co-plotting) this with Waid. He loves misdirecting the reader (like with the whole thing about Tony Stark's genius being a product of alien genetic engineering... nope, fooled ya!). We don't actually know the exact details of what happened yet with Stark and the Gamma Bomb, but I'll bet dollars to donuts it isn't what it appears to be. That's actually what I like about Stark, he's a complex character with his own way of thinking about how to do the right thing, that people often disagree with, making him unpopular (when you think about it, Batman often has the same problems). Because he's rich and always self-confident, people view him as entitled and arrogant. (One thing you'll never hear Stark say is... "I'm not sure, what do you think we should do?")

                        How boring this little comic book world would be if all the heroes just got along swell and were always the best of pals. Character conflict makes for interesting stories.

                        Here's my theory... Tony DID tinker with the Gamma Bomb, and because of it, Banner turned into the Hulk. But Banner should have been *nowhere near* that bomb when it went off, a fact that Stark *couldn't* have taken into account. If Stark hadn't increased the shielding, Banner wouldn't have been turned into the Hulk... he'd have been dead.

                        My theory... Part 2... Now that the Hulk has Bruce Banner's brain and the Extremis virus in his body, the Indestructible Hulk will become the Superior Hulk, with a complete change in direction (and character) for the Hulk. Essentially this will result in the Hulk becoming more and more like The Leader (not the current version, but the green version at the height of his brainpower), while retaining the strength of the Hulk. All of a sudden he'll begin using his strength in ways he never did before, and displaying incredible strategy and cunning. The Avengers will become mighty uneasy.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 07-20-2014, 12:21 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                          My problem with DC is that the "fun" books never last. Tiny Titans had a long run, (and a new miniseries) but Batman: Li'l Gotham and Superman Family Adventures both ended after 12 issue runs. At least Teen Titans Go! is still around.
                          The best part about Superman Family Adventures is that Jimmy Olsen is one of the main characters. Jimmy is the best Superman character, and one of the best DC characters.
                          Have to admit I didn't read any of those books. Here's hoping that Batman '66 has a nice long run, though. I wouldn't mind seeing a Batman '55 done in the Dick Sprang style, either. I do miss Batman: The Brave and The Bold.

                          I haven't really cared about any of the Superman supporting cast since Crisis on Infinite Earths (except when I'm reading reprints). Unless you consider Lex Luthor part of the supporting cast, I guess. Actually now that I think about it, the Mike Carlin era seems positively rosy compared to Superman after he left. If only Grant Morrison could have saved what turned out to be "All Star" Superman for the New 52 reboot. Geez, he's late with everything else.
                          Last edited by pulphero; 07-20-2014, 12:56 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                            Well, if you hate a character to begin with, even if it's well-done you're probably not going to be converted.

                            Keep an eye on that Original Sin 3.3... Gillen was involved in plotting (or co-plotting) this with Waid. He loves misdirecting the reader (like with the whole thing about Tony Stark's genius being a product of alien genetic engineering... nope, fooled ya!). We don't actually know the exact details of what happened yet with Stark and the Gamma Bomb, but I'll bet dollars to donuts it isn't what it appears to be. That's actually what I like about Stark, he's a complex character with his own way of thinking about how to do the right thing, that people often disagree with, making him unpopular (when you think about it, Batman often has the same problems). Because he's rich and always self-confident, people view him as entitled and arrogant. (One thing you'll never hear Stark say is... "I'm not sure, what do you think we should do?")

                            How boring this little comic book world would be if all the heroes just got along swell and were always the best of pals. Character conflict makes for interesting stories.

                            Here's my theory... Tony DID tinker with the Gamma Bomb, and because of it, Banner turned into the Hulk. But Banner should have been *nowhere near* that bomb when it went off, a fact that Stark *couldn't* have taken into account. If Stark hadn't increased the shielding, Banner wouldn't have been turned into the Hulk... he'd have been dead.

                            My theory... Part 2... Now that the Hulk has Bruce Banner's brain and the Extremis virus in his body, the Indestructible Hulk will become the Superior Hulk, with a complete change in direction (and character) for the Hulk. Essentially this will result in the Hulk becoming more and more like The Leader (not the current version, but the green version at the height of his brainpower), while retaining the strength of the Hulk. All of a sudden he'll begin using his strength in ways he never did before, and displaying incredible strategy and cunning. The Avengers will become mighty uneasy.
                            Marvel did announce the Superior Iron man... but a superior Hulk would be cool too.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              G'day,

                              Ok, Lobster, I gave Moon Knight a go. Picked up issue one tonight. Pretty Good! Just sent an email to my comic book shop to put aside the other 4 issues. Be interesting to see were it goes.

                              Thanks for the tip!

                              Ralph

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X