No announcement yet.

Lobster Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any word on the next Lobster TPB? They should be getting close shouldn't they?
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
      Any word on the next Lobster TPB? They should be getting close shouldn't they?
      Uncollected issues to date:

A CHAIN FORGED IN LIFE (07/15)
      THE GLASS MANTIS (12/15)
      THE FORGOTTEN MAN (04/16)
      METAL MONSTERS OF MIDTOWN 1-3 (05/16-07/16)
      GARDEN OF BONES (01/17)
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• Originally posted by positronic View Post
        Uncollected issues to date:

A CHAIN FORGED IN LIFE (07/15)
        THE GLASS MANTIS (12/15)
        THE FORGOTTEN MAN (04/16)
        METAL MONSTERS OF MIDTOWN 1-3 (05/16-07/16)
        GARDEN OF BONES (01/17)
        I would think it would make more sense if they had A Chain Forged in Life through Metal Monsters of Midtown for the next collection, since the tpbs so far seem to be for about 5-6 issues worth of material, but maybe they'll surprise us.

Comment

• Originally posted by MajorHoy View Post
          I would think it would make more sense if they had A Chain Forged in Life through Metal Monsters of Midtown for the next collection, since the tpbs so far seem to be for about 5-6 issues worth of material, but maybe they'll surprise us.
          It might be that they want to include all the one-shots together in one collection, with the 3-issue mini Metal Monsters of Midtown (illustrated by Tonci Zonjic) paired together with another Tonci Zonjic 2-to-4 issue story arc, that hasn't been published just yet -- at least that would be one possible explanation of why they haven't solicted a new trade collection yet. I suspect we'll see a couple of other one-shots this year, so that collection might get published first.
          Last edited by positronic; 01-15-2017, 01:32 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

It might be that they want to include all the one-shots together in one collection, with the 3-issue mini Metal Monsters of Midtown (illustrated by Tonci Zonjic) paired together with another Tonci Zonjic 2-to-4 issue story arc, that hasn't been published just yet -- at least that would be one possible explanation of why they haven't solicted a new trade collection yet. I suspect we'll see a couple of other one-shots this year, so that collection might get published first.
            But all the issues have that "Number ___ in a Series" part on the inside cover, so I would think they'd want to keep the tpb collections in order that way, rather than the order broken up between two or three tpb collections.
            Who'd want to buy "Numbers 21-23 & 27-28 in a Series" collected together but then wonder if/when "Numbers 24-26" may eventually show up?

Comment

But all the issues have that "Number ___ in a Series" part on the inside cover, so I would think they'd want to keep the tpb collections in order that way, rather than the order broken up between two or three tpb collections.
              Who'd want to buy "Numbers 21-23 & 27-28 in a Series" collected together but then wonder if/when "Numbers 24-26" may eventually show up?
              I don't think the order of the one-shots much matters, as none of them contain any of those occasional plot threads with hints to the mystery of the Lobster's identity or origin. It wouldn't be the first time a publisher grouped non-sequential issues featuring one or two-issue stories of a title together in a trade paperback as random "interludes" between longer story arcs that might otherwise need to be broken up between a couple of trade collections and/or wouldn't divide into a nice even number of issues per book. For example, it might be that the next longer story arc drawn by Tonci Zonji scheduled is a 4-issue arc, and 3 (Monsters of Midtown) + 4 (theoretical new arc) would be the max number of issues that they'd want to fit in one TP. Or it might be that the next upcoming arc is 3 issues, followed by another 4-issue arc, and 3 + 3 is the perfect size for a TP, while if they reprinted the one-shots between in strict order of release, the latter 4-issue arc might not fit neatly into the next collection with enough one-shots to fill it out. There's all sorts of logistical considerations. Vertigo used to do that pretty often with trades, depending on the series. HELLBLAZER was a good example, as the creative team on the book changed frequently, or sometimes they'd have a guest artist come in just to do a one or two-issue story. I wouldn't worry or wonder IF Dark Horse is eventually going to reprint any particular issues, as they've usually been pretty good about collecting virtually everything in trades -- and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the TPs sold as well or better than the average sales of single issues. With this series it's even less of a problem than it might be for some others, as very few of the foes that the Lobster faces ever return to bother him again. It's also nice to get a TP collection where the artwork in the entire book is by Tonci Zonjic, and put all the different one-shot artists into a different book. You can't really say that the reading order of the one shots strictly matters from a continuity point of view.
              Last edited by positronic; 01-16-2017, 08:08 AM.

Comment

I don't think the order of the one-shots much matters, . . .
                So, in other words, you're saying its pointless for the books to have the "Number ___ in a Series" on the inside front cover? It doesn't matter if you read about a character in one story who was introduced to the series in an earlier one-shot, but that story may not be collected until a later tpb?

Comment

So, in other words, you're saying its pointless for the books to have the "Number ___ in a Series" on the inside front cover? It doesn't matter if you read about a character in one story who was introduced to the series in an earlier one-shot, but that story may not be collected until a later tpb?
                  Hopefully that didn't sound too snarky, but don't forget, Lobster Johnson isn't the same as DC and Marvel titles like "Super-Duper Green Wonder-Bat" and "Amazing-Fantastic-Invincible-Uncanny-Human". Those types of books are corporate properties where they have to keep churning out issues every month to generate enough income to please the stock holders, and it doesn't matter who writes or draws it because the properties are owned by the corporations.
                  Lobster Johnson is a character who's story has a beginning and also an already planned eventual ending that already happened in other titles; Mignola and company are telling the stories they want to tell when they want to tell them, and even those one-shot stories may mean something later on in a different story / arc.
                  There's no real benefit to later collecting the issues into tpb volumes out of order from how/when they were originally published.

Comment

Hopefully that didn't sound too snarky, but don't forget, Lobster Johnson isn't the same as DC and Marvel titles like "Super-Duper Green Wonder-Bat" and "Amazing-Fantastic-Invincible-Uncanny-Human". Those types of books are corporate properties where they have to keep churning out issues every month to generate enough income to please the stock holders, and it doesn't matter who writes or draws it because the properties are owned by the corporations.
                    Lobster Johnson is a character who's story has a beginning and also an already planned eventual ending that already happened in other titles; Mignola and company are telling the stories they want to tell when they want to tell them, and even those one-shot stories may mean something later on in a different story / arc.
                    There's no real benefit to later collecting the issues into tpb volumes out of order from how/when they were originally published.
                    I thought I'd covered that by mentioning that "very few of the foes the Lobster faces return to bother him again." Reading those one-shots, they appear to me to be very specifically designed as stand-alone stories, and I can't recall anything in them that specifically places any of the stories as taking place before or after some other LJ story (or at least, not one that hasn't already been collected in trade). They may mean something continuity-wise later down the road, but chances are good that they'll already be collected in TP before those other hypothetical stories are.

Again, it's a matter of logistics having to do with how the page counts add up when stories get split between one trade collection and the next one. If it's a nice even split of issues between one and the next, then there's probably no reason not to print them in the order they were originally released. While there are enough issues published right now to fit neatly into a single TP, we don't have enough stories published (as of now) beyond that yet to say how those might or might not fit neatly into the next TP. I guess we could check Dark Horse's February solicitations to see if there's a new Lobster TP collection, which ought to be available next week.
                    Last edited by positronic; 01-19-2017, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I thought I'd covered that by mentioning that "very few of the foes the Lobster faces return to bother him again." Reading those one-shots, they appear to me to be very specifically designed as stand-alone stories, and I can't recall anything in them that specifically places any of the stories as taking place before or after some other LJ story (or at least, not one that hasn't already been collected in trade). They may mean something continuity-wise later down the road, but chances are good that they'll already be collected in TP before those other hypothetical stories are.
                      But you're still ignoring the fact that the Lobster Johnson series is done differently than DC and Marvel type of books . . . why would Mike Mignola WANT to collect the stories out of order from the way they were originally presented?
                      It's not like they want to keep an in-issue cross-over with other Dark Horse characters separate from the issues that aren't part of the cross-over (like with the recent DC “NIGHT OF THE MONSTER MEN” story that was in issues of Batman, Nightwing, and Detective Comics).

Comment

But you're still ignoring the fact that the Lobster Johnson series is done differently than DC and Marvel type of books . . . why would Mike Mignola WANT to collect the stories out of order from the way they were originally presented?
                        The fact that (unlike the Marvel and DCU titles) LJ doesn't share any continuity with other DH titles (apart from the Lobster's modern-day appearances in other Mignolaverse comics) makes it simpler. They're stand-alone stories. Unless there's some internal evidence (I don't recall any) that one story takes place before or after another, it just doesn't matter. Even though LJ is published much less frequently than Batman or Spider-Man, you can think of the one-shot LJ stories (regardless of the numbering on the inside covers) the same way a Batman or Spider-Man stand-alone one-shot #1 relates to the main ongoing series. They take place in continuity 'somewhere' in-between the longer story arcs (which in LJ's case are the ones drawn by Tonci Zonjic). Or maybe you could think of them as old-school "fill-in issues". The longer arcs are the ones that carry LJ's 'main continuity' forward (so those do need to be collected in order of publication). You're way too hung up on the order that the one-shots happened to be published and that little "#__ in a series" printed on the inside front covers. Despite the numbers, the longer story arcs are the 'ongoing series' of LJ, and the one-shots are just stand-alone stories. I'm not saying that that makes those stories any lesser (or less authentic) somehow than the longer ones. A good story is a good story (and after all, they're by the same writers), regardless -- I'm just saying that when the story takes place is less important in terms of continuity, so if they have to shuffle a few of those around to make a nice even number of issues fit into one TP and the next one, it's not a big deal, and DH isn't going to let one of them go unreprinted... they just need to find a place where it can fill the right number of pages in a TP.

We don't even know for sure if the stories were written in the same order that they were published, due to the fact that some artists are faster than others, and may have other commitments as well, so just because one artist received a script earlier than another artist, it doesn't mean he turned in the completed art for that story earlier. "A Chain Forged in Life" is a Christmas story that was published in July! Surely that was originally meant to be published shortly before Christmas? If I had to guess, I'd bet "Metal Monsters of Midtown" might have been written before "The Forgotten Man", and possibly even "The Glass Mantis", because it doesn't seem like Tonci Zonjic is exactly the fastest artist, which would explain why there are long gaps in between his story arcs.

Tonci has been the regular artist on the longer story arcs since the second arc, The Burning Hand. So I'm gonna guess that Mignola and Arcudi REALLY like him, and want to keep him on LJ even though he's really slow (I know I do). In the meantime, they need to get a few short stories out of their system (and keep the LJ fans placated) while they wait patiently for Zonjic to complete the longer arcs. Personally I'd like to see Peter Snejberg (The Forgotten Man) take on some longer (3-4 issue) arcs alternating with Tonci Zonjic. Peter is also a VERY good artist, whose style isn't jarringly dissimilar from Tonci's, and that would presumably give us more issues of LJ per year. But I don't know anything about Snejberg's other commitments or how fast (or slow) he is, so maybe that's not a practical solution. The one-shot stories exist to help fill the long gaps in-between those 'ongoing' arcs drawn by Zonjic, but maybe Snejberg is really slow too, and if the longer arcs were written to have continuity between the one Zonjic was drawing and the one Snejberg was drawing, and they couldn't be sure which artist was going to complete his issues first, it would be a problem. I would guess that's why they do the single-issue stories, so they can slot them in when they're completed to fill gaps between the longer arcs. Otherwise, instead of having three one-shot stories by different artists, then why not a 3 or 4-issue arc by a single artist instead?
                        Last edited by positronic; 01-20-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• We have a date

Just back from my LCBS. Lobster Johnson will be in next weeks Previews with a release date of March 8th.

The short turn around is because it should have been solicited earlier but was running late.
                          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2

Comment

Just back from my LCBS. Lobster Johnson will be in next weeks Previews with a release date of March 8th.

The short turn around is because it should have been solicited earlier but was running late.
                            LOBSTER JOHNSON: THE PIRATE'S GHOST #2 (of 3) is in April's Previews catalog, due in shops April 26, 2017 (but no new Lobster TP collection). THE PIRATE'S GHOST #1 (in shops Mar 29, 2017) was solicited in the March Previews, and #3 will be solicited in the May Previews.

Pirate's Ghost is the next main continuity arc, illustrated by Tonci Zonjic, and seems to pick up on previous hints and clues discovered by reporter Cynthia Tynan (who is now missing as the Lobster searches for her) regarding the connection between the Lobster's origin and pirates. Whether this story will result in some major revelations or lead to further ambiguities and mysteries concerning the Lobster is anyone's guess.
                            Last edited by positronic; 01-26-2017, 03:30 AM.

Comment

The Mignolaverse book that at last check was currently scheduled for a March 8th release is Hellboy And The B.P.R.D. 1954 Ghost Moon #1 (of 2).
                              https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/29-...--Ghost-Moon-1

Comment

• I'll have to check with my LCBS and get back here. They are usually very reliable.

Comment

Working...
                                X