No announcement yet.

Lobster Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still looking forward to that moment when the Lobster is up against the toughest opponent he's ever faced, things are looking their bleakest, and the Lobster is all but defeated, so he has to debut (in a full-page splash panel, natch) his powered Lobster exo-armor suit (those giant claws are the bomb!)...
    Last edited by pulphero; 07-28-2014, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Hey pulphero, do you read any other Mignolaverse titles?
      I read all of them, but I think LoJo is the best.

Comment

I've read the original Hellboy story (Seed of Destruction), the crossover with Batman and Starman, and Hellboy Junior, and I have (but haven't read cover-to-cover) the Hellboy Companion. Other than that, just anything LJ.

Comment

Oh yeah, and I did research of all LJ's appearances prior to The Iron Prometheus online and in the HB Companion. A friend gave me CBR copies of the entire Mignolaverse catalog up to 2012-13 or so, so... hopefully, someday, like when I'm unemployed or retired or whatever, I'll find the time to get around to these.

As much as I love reading comics (I submit as proof the dozens of boxes of graphic novels I have piled up in the house and the basement that I still haven't got around to), there's just never enough time. Or if there was, then there wouldn't be enough money to continue getting them. I just hope my eyes hold out long enough.

I used to think it was because I was wasting too much of my time watching TV. So I cancelled my cable and haven't watched anything but the occasional DVD in the last three years. But there's STILL never enough time. If only I could find a way to bypass sleeping.
          Last edited by pulphero; 07-29-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

The only series that I'm completely caught up on is LJ. Besides that, I have a lot of Hellboy and BPRD (but there are some big gaps of those series I don't have), but only a little of Abe Sapien, Witchfinder, and Baltimore.
            I've read some of LoJo's appearances outside of his own title, but I still need to get a bunch of the BPRD books that involve him. The books outside of his own title that he appears in and I have read are Conqueror Worm, Killer in my Skull, and Night Train. Conqueror Worm is pretty good, but the other two are only OK.

Comment

Forgot about Sledgehammer. That's the only other series I have all the issues of.
              Itty Bitty Hellboy too, if that counts.

Comment

Do you know how popular Lobster Johnson is among comics fans? I know he's not that well known among regular people, but I'm wondering whether he's well-known among most comics fans or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster Johnson View Post
                  Do you know how popular Lobster Johnson is among comics fans? I know he's not that well known among regular people, but I'm wondering whether he's well-known among most comics fans or not.
                  "Most" comic fans (statistically speaking) read either Marvel or DC, or both. How else to explain their overwhelming market share (especially when considered collectively)? Many are loathe to stray from their traditional favorite characters. And sometimes being eclectic involves a greater expenditure of disposable income than most comic readers are comfortable with, budget-wise.

If I were to venture an opinion... the name "Lobster Johnson" is probably working against the character in enticing new readers. A lot of people might just consider it too ridiculous to consider reading. Then again, the "average" comic book reader hasn't got the slightest interest in pulp or pulp-style characters to begin with.

Comment

I wonder if we'll ever see LoJo's face or find out his real name... I suspect we'll hear at least part of his backstory, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept his name and face a secret.

Comment

With all of the different fictional versions of the Lobster in the Mignolaverse (pulp novels, movie serials, etc.), I'm surprised that a campy 60's TV version of Lobster Johnson hasn't been revealed.
                      His gadgets would include gorilla-repellant spray and the Lobster-mobile, and he would often battle Dr. Waxman, commonly having to escape Waxman's death-traps.

Comment

I wonder if we'll ever see LoJo's face or find out his real name... I suspect we'll hear at least part of his backstory, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept his name and face a secret.
                        Or it may not matter, if he's not an individual person, but several people like the Phantom. Or if he's a spirit possessing other bodies.

Comment

With all of the different fictional versions of the Lobster in the Mignolaverse (pulp novels, movie serials, etc.), I'm surprised that a campy 60's TV version of Lobster Johnson hasn't been revealed.
                          His gadgets would include gorilla-repellant spray and the Lobster-mobile, and he would often battle Dr. Waxman, commonly having to escape Waxman's death-traps.
                          A campy '60s TV series would have made the Lobster TOO well-known to the general public today, which plays against the idea that he's an obscure "fictional" character that just may not have been fictional after all, based on an 'urban legend'. In other words, you can fool people into believing that there were obscure pulp magazines, Golden Age comic books, and serials and Mexican horror movies that may have existed that they were never aware of. When you attempt to convince people that there was a 1960s TV show that was so obscure that no one's ever heard of it, it's not going to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                            A campy '60s TV series would have made the Lobster TOO well-known to the general public today, which plays against the idea that he's an obscure "fictional" character that just may not have been fictional after all, based on an 'urban legend'. In other words, you can fool people into believing that there were obscure pulp magazines, Golden Age comic books, and serials and Mexican horror movies that may have existed that they were never aware of. When you attempt to convince people that there was a 1960s TV show that was so obscure that no one's ever heard of it, it's not going to fly.
                            Yeah, I realize that that could never happen. It'd still be awesome though.

Comment

Yeah, I realize that that could never happen. It'd still be awesome though.
                              NaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNaNa... Lobster!

Comment

And if there HAD been a '60s TV series... guaranteed that there would have been a blockbuster movie (probably a series of movies) sometime in the last 25 years. Unless it was a TV series like "Mr. Terrific" or "Captain Nice".

Comment

Working...
                                X